The Student Room Group

Journalism MA

I have a fairly specific question. I want to apply for a Master's in Journalism (probably International Journalism) and from what I've heard, City, Sheffield and Cardiff are pretty good so I'll probably apply for those.

What I need, though, is a fourth choice where admission is not as selective. An insurance choice. I have no idea how competitive the admission is for the unis above but I presume it's harder to get in there than for the ex-polys.

Are there any journalism Masters where it's relatively easy to get in AND would not make me virtually unemployable? In short, what's the pick of the bad bunch?

I'm not from the UK and I don't think university rankings mean just as much where I'm from so I'm open for ANYTHING.

I get that something like Liverpool John Moore is not ideal but I'd prefer that over doing nothing for another year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Clownio
I have a fairly specific question. I want to apply for a Master's in Journalism (probably International Journalism) and from what I've heard, City, Sheffield and Cardiff are pretty good so I'll probably apply for those.

What I need, though, is a fourth choice where admission is not as selective. An insurance choice. I have no idea how competitive the admission is for the unis above but I presume it's harder to get in there than for the ex-polys.

Are there any journalism Masters where it's relatively easy to get in AND would not make me virtually unemployable? In short, what's the pick of the bad bunch?

I'm not from the UK and I don't think university rankings mean just as much where I'm from so I'm open for ANYTHING.

I get that something like Liverpool John Moore is not ideal but I'd prefer that over doing nothing for another year.

How do your qualifications match up to what those three unis want? Are you EU or international?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
How do your qualifications match up to what those three unis want? Are you EU or international?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got experience from working at a newspaper which should be an advantage. Also done some work for a student magazine. The grades conversion from Swedish to UK is all over the place, seems to differ from uni to uni, also I haven't finished my degree yet so not sure what I'll get, but I'm counting on a 2:2 which could well be a 2:1. But as I said the translation of grades is not clearcut, hence why I'd prefer a uni with a less selective admission just to be sure to get in somewhere.
Original post by Clownio
I've got experience from working at a newspaper which should be an advantage. Also done some work for a student magazine. The grades conversion from Swedish to UK is all over the place, seems to differ from uni to uni, also I haven't finished my degree yet so not sure what I'll get, but I'm counting on a 2:2 which could well be a 2:1. But as I said the translation of grades is not clearcut, hence why I'd prefer a uni with a less selective admission just to be sure to get in somewhere.

Ok. Those three unis are the ones I would usually recommend. If you are that desperate, apply to as many as you can find!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending