The Student Room Group

Letter of reconsideration to a university??

I recently received a rejection for the University that I really want to go to. I really had my heart set on it and I really don't know what to do.
The course was International Business with Spanish and the grade requirements are ABB.
I recieved BBB at AS level but I was only 1 mark off an A in Spanish ...
I think I may have recieved a rejection as my subjects aren't business based :
Spanish
English Language
Health and Social Care

The universities have until the end of March to make decisions about applicants on UCAS (this is what my teacher said) and offers therefore I am debating whether I should write a reconsideration letter myself or if I should get my teacher to help me. Although the I am scared that I might be too late as I will only be able to get her help on the 4th of April....
Do any of you know how to word a letter of reconsideration for the offer ? I am greatful for any help ! Thankyou!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wheredidshego
I recently received a rejection for the University that I really want to go to. I really had my heart set on it and I really don't know what to do.
The course was International Business with Spanish and the grade requirements are ABB.
Spanish
English Language
Health and Social Care

The universities have until the end of March to make decisions about applicants on UCAS (this is what my teacher said) and offers therefore I am debating whether I should write a reconsideration letter myself or if I should get my teacher to help me. Although the I am scared that I might be too late as I will only be able to get her help on the 4th of April....
Do any of you know how to word a letter of reconsideration for the offer ? I am greatful for any help ! Thankyou!
Was there anything missed off your application that would make a difference? If not, then you will be unlikely to change their minds. It looks like your qualifications do not fit what they are looking for. I am sorry that you are upset, but writing to them is highly unlikely to change anything, regardless of the dates or whether your teacher helps you or not.
Spanish
English Language
Health and Social Care

A rejection is a rejection, a letter will not help whatsoever.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Was there anything missed off your application that would make a difference? If not, then you will be unlikely to change their minds. It looks like your qualifications do not fit what they are looking for. I am sorry that you are upset, but writing to them is highly unlikely to change anything, regardless of the dates or whether your teacher helps you or not.

Nothing was missing from my application! I may aswell try! I can't give up... I have nothing to lose ... I must be positive!
Nothing was missing from my application! I may aswell try! I can't give up... I have nothing to lose ... I must be positive!

That's for you to decide. However, I'd suggest that it would be better for you to consider a plan of action which allows you to move forward. There is not just one university for anyone. Look elsewhere or consider reapplying next year when you have your results, although asking for feedback would be a sensible course of action. It may be that your subjects would not be considered right for the course whatever grade they were. You will have to ask them. For now, though, you will have to accept that no means no.

Yes maybe you've nothing to lose but take it from someone who got 4 rejections in their 1st ucas application, this could be a sign that this isnt the right university for you, there ll be something better out there for you. Spend time finding that better thing instead of wasting time on rejected again.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
That's for you to decide. However, I'd suggest that it would be better for you to consider a plan of action which allows you to move forward. There is not just one university for anyone. Look elsewhere or consider reapplying next year when you have your results, although asking for feedback would be a sensible course of action. It may be that your subjects would not be considered right for the course whatever grade they were. You will have to ask them. For now, though, you will have to accept that no means no.

Great minds and all :wink:
Original post by claireestelle
Great minds and all :wink:

Experience.
Did you have an interview? Because you would then know someone who had personal knowledge of the decision making.

Did you get any feedback? Because then you can address the issues that caused them concern?

Did you try and get your spanish remarked? That might have got toy the missing mark.

Did you have a ps that managed to spin a good angle on why you were suited for IB and spanish? Becayse you might have undersold yourself. Buisness is half the degree, so that was an obvious concern you needed to have covered, probably with some extra currics.

Why has it been left to so late?

My advice
1. Should you try? yes nothing to lose especially if you have your heart set on it.
2. realise your chances are probably thin, but if you dnt try you will never know.
3. Feedback is helpful to know what they found wrong otherwise you are guessing.
4. Read the uni website to see if they have any rules and procedures to do with reconsiderations. One of the mods carnation has very good knowledge of the UCAS process (am sure others do as well).
5. Keep the letter short and address 3 or 4 of their potenial concerns (feedback ) or you will have to guess. Youll need to convince them that depsite the grade loss you will make a good student who will get a lot out of the course and be able to handle it( am guessing).
6.You might wnat to make reference to anything that supports this and not in the ps, any weakness or misunderstanding in any interview.
7. I might agree to go on any reserve list after the offers had been given out (so you agree to o to the back of the queue, but if they have spare spots youd like one.
8. If you have a draft letter that you work on now, then you will have done most of the work so your teacher can edit and assist when you see her.

If its the end of March, then I would just get my own letter in. maybe your teacher will read it if you email her, even if shes on holiday?

that's how i'd approach it.

Be careful how much please please let me on i really really want to do it. that needs a careful balance to aboid being too needy. Your aim is to put forward an argument to show them why you would benefit from the course and why youd be an asset for them to teach. Its not just about what you get out of it or what the course does for you.
Original post by claireestelle
A rejection is a rejection, a letter will not help whatsoever.

I wouldnt dream of arguine with either you or carnation on this, but some institutions in their rules do make reference to reconsideration. Offer of places, especially if they have spares is down to their discretion.

I'd say the chance is small and be prepared to move on or consider reapplying, but imo nothing to lose. the lack of business might have been fatal? dunno.
Spanish
English Language
Health and Social Care

I think your Alevels are fine...you didn't meet the grade requirements.. You might have only been 1 mark of an A but it wasn't an A. Especially if its a competitive course you need the required grades..you could try a remark?
Just to restates the chances are very low and it depends on the institution. If you get feedback then that should make it clear why you didnt succeed and it may be you cant address those issues. If you pitch it right then it wll at least raise you to their notice should they have any spare places. If youve set your heart on it then consider reapplying next year. Loys of people get rejections you just have to ecide if you wnat to make a sronger app and are prepared to wait. There are other courses.
whatever the reason for your rejection it is extremely unlikely the university will change their minds. If they really wanted you they would have made an offer. I suspect it is your choice of subjects as there is nothing really suitable to business.
I have also noticed some of the universities require grade B GCSE Maths. Do you have this because you are also likely to be rejected for that reason. Leeds state this as a requirement.
Thankyou ! No I didn't have an interview for this course therefore it's difficult to know why they didn't accept me ... Although my subjects do hint at it...
I have recieved my offers from the other 4 universities but I live in N.I and the uni I want to go to is here .. I can't afford to go to England as my maintenance fee doesn't even cover the cost of accommodation to live over there. I plan to get a job wherever I go but I still need stability and there are 3 other children in my house so I don't want to depend on my parents for thousands of pounds.
Yes ! I am worried about sounding needy haha
I think I'm gong to wait to see my teacher. We weren't told the exact date of the uni's deadlines... I think I'm just extra worried.
But I have to stay positive and I can only hope for the best !
Original post by swanseajack1
I have also noticed some of the universities require grade B GCSE Maths. Do you have this because you are also likely to be rejected for that reason. Leeds state this as a requirement.

I have an A in GCSE maths ..
Although altogether I have
AABBBBBBC
The other A is in Spanish
(edited 8 years ago)
I have an A in GCSE maths ..
Although altogether I have
AABBBBBBC In my GCSE's
The other A is in Spanish
Hahahaha
Thankyou ! No I didn't have an interview for this course therefore it's difficult to know why they didn't accept me ... Although my subjects do hint at it...
I have recieved my offers from the other 4 universities but I live in N.I and the uni I want to go to is here .. I can't afford to go to England as my maintenance fee doesn't even cover the cost of accommodation to live over there. I plan to get a job wherever I go but I still need stability and there are 3 other children in my house so I don't want to depend on my parents for thousands of pounds.
Yes ! I am worried about sounding needy haha
I think I'm gong to wait to see my teacher. We weren't told the exact date of the uni's deadlines... I think I'm just extra worried.
But I have to stay positive and I can only hope for the best !

You need feedback before you do anything.
If you go to the site for your course theres a pdf on How we choose out students.

It indicates the personal statemnt is only for a tie breaker and that there is no need to have studied business studies, so its non subject specific. that doesnt exclude making a case for why you wnat to study it in your ps.

On that basis it seems to be a straight grade issue, although reading the guidance on offers they do vary on demand. If you could get a remark then that would give you a chance, talk to your teacher. You can try for reconsideration, but you need the feedback first and then have a chat with your teacher. It would be low.

If thats the only course, then it looks like a year out to reapply, but be sure to build up some communication with the department so they know what you are doing and they are things that will improve your application. They do talk in the guidance about offers from reapplicants being one grade higher, so you would need clarification on that as you might be looking at AAB.

Good luck..
Original post by 999tigger
You need feedback before you do anything.
If you go to the site for your course theres a pdf on How we choose out students.

It indicates the personal statemnt is only for a tie breaker and that there is no need to have studied business studies, so its non subject specific. that doesnt exclude making a case for why you wnat to study it in your ps.

On that basis it seems to be a straight grade issue, although reading the guidance on offers they do vary on demand. If you could get a remark then that would give you a chance, talk to your teacher. You can try for reconsideration, but you need the feedback first and then have a chat with your teacher. It would be low.

If thats the only course, then it looks like a year out to reapply, but be sure to build up some communication with the department so they know what you are doing and they are things that will improve your application. They do talk in the guidance about offers from reapplicants being one grade higher, so you would need clarification on that as you might be looking at AAB.

Good luck..

Thanks.. I am repeating all my subjects because I want to ensure that I can get the best grade possible !
You can carry them over, so work out if youd satnd more chance with just doing 2. this is where communucation and clarification with them if you are going to reapply would make sense. If you build up some ongoing relation with them, then it is helpful. Is a remark possible or is that how you know you scored 1 below an A because you tried it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending