Turn on thread page Beta

Did the Cold War ever really end..? watch

ReputationRep:
    I, for one, do not think that the Cold War ever truly ended.

Vladimir Putin, former Director of the KGB/FSB, has held power in Russia since 1999, alternating between being Prime Minister and President. His foreign policy stance towards Europe and NATO has been complicated. While not outright hostile, it does seem that tensions are high, and nuclear threat has not really lessened on either side.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Putin is not a communist. The cold war is over./

Yes, we have central heating now....................oh, and thermo nuclear weapons too.

ReputationRep:
    While tensions are high, they aren't at all comparable to before the fall of the Soviet Union. The threat of nuclear war really isn't anywhere near a big a threat as it was back during the Cold War. It seems very unlikely there'd be any nuclear exchange between Russia and the West. If anything N.Korea is the biggest threat towards nuclear war and neither Russia or the West are their biggest fans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zargabaath)
    While tensions are high, they aren't at all comparable to before the fall of the Soviet Union. The threat of nuclear war really isn't anywhere near a big a threat as it was back during the Cold War. It seems very unlikely there'd be any nuclear exchange between Russia and the West. If anything N.Korea is the biggest threat towards nuclear war and neither Russia or the West are their biggest fans.
    Say this is just a period of detente?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Putin is not a communist. The cold war is over./
    Okay, but the level of nationalism is Russia is truly frightening. People literally worship Putin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    Okay, but the level of nationalism is Russia is truly frightening. People literally worship Putin.
    No their problem is they worship god not Putin.

ReputationRep:
    Say this is just a period of detente?
    I think it's a bit more then the period during the Cold War in the early 70's. I don't think we'll ever get back to the tensions that were reached before, at least not in our lifetimes.
    I think a series of proxy wars in the Middle East or countries like Ukraine is much more likely then an all out nuclear war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    No their problem is they worship god not Putin.
    Okay, I take back the literally part. And why is worshiping God a problem?

Take a look at this
    http://mashable.com/2016/01/06/putin.../#hAMtpkfEAqqG

ReputationRep:
    I, for one, do not think that the Cold War ever truly ended.

Vladimir Putin, former Director of the KGB/FSB, has held power in Russia since 1999, alternating between being Prime Minister and President. His foreign policy stance towards Europe and NATO has been complicated. While not outright hostile, it does seem that tensions are high, and nuclear threat has not really lessened on either side.

What do you think?
    thought this was another one of those holy threads... just found the "other" thread xD

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I take back the literally part. And why is worshiping God a problem?

Take a look at this
    http://mashable.com/2016/01/06/putin.../#hAMtpkfEAqqG

Because religion is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    thought this was another one of those holy threads... just found the "other" thread xD
    I have never come across a "holy thread" before. Is it common on here?

ReputationRep:
    I have never come across a "holy thread" before. Is it common on here?
    i call holy threads the spamming ones which all tell you to pray to Allah etc all that balls

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.