Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey
    i'm in year 12 doing A2's (my school does A-levels a year early)
    my previous school didnt offer GCSE's (dont ask why) but i did one in my free time and learnt it from youtube and got an A in my math GCSE.
    my AS grades were
    Math - A (A2 mock grade B)
    Physics - C (dropped)
    Chemistry - D (A2 mock grade U)
    Biology - E (A2 mock grade A)
    so im resitting biology unit 2&3 and chemistry unit 1&2 and taking a English GCSE this year.
    i will be doing a year of religious studies next year and will apply for medicine for the year after.
    i know this is a very unique case but do you think its possible for me to get into medicine with a foundation year after doing loads of volunteering work??
    thx for reading and please help me out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yisithegr8)
    hey
    i'm in year 12 doing A2's (my school does A-levels a year early)
    my previous school didnt offer GCSE's (dont ask why) but i did one in my free time and learnt it from youtube and got an A in my math GCSE.
    my AS grades were
    Math - A (A2 mock grade B)
    Physics - C (dropped)
    Chemistry - D (A2 mock grade U)
    Biology - E (A2 mock grade A)
    so im resitting biology unit 2&3 and chemistry unit 1&2 and taking a English GCSE this year.
    i will be doing a year of religious studies next year and will apply for medicine for the year after.
    i know this is a very unique case but do you think its possible for me to get into medicine with a foundation year after doing loads of volunteering work??
    thx for reading and please help me out
    You need to look at the requirements of the medicine with foundation year courses and consult universities about whether your lack of GCSE's will be an issue- many require more than 2. A quick glance shows me that:
    - Kings 6 year course is only for those at certain non selective state schools in Greater London, and entry requirements range from AAA-BBB- I presume the uni would determine what each individual offer would be within that range.
    - UEA want ABB achieved within 2 years and you must come from a disadvantaged background- household income under £35,000 in local authority care or live in East Anglia
    -Nottingham want BBC achieved within 2 years with the 2 B's in Bio and Chem. On top of that you must come from a disadvantaged neighbourhood and meet another example of being disadvantaged :low household income, in care, refugee, or carer
    - Manchester: won't accept those who've taken Chemistry A-Level onto their foundation year.

I haven't covered every uni, but as you can see, unless you are disadvantaged in some way your choices will be severely limited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kel_Med)
    Hey

Medical school's obviously differ with their entry requirements for the foundation degree's, off the top of my head I think the lowest I've seen is CCC at nottingham, I dont know if this has changed, but based on this it's more than possible for you to have a solid application for medical school next year. The only thing that might hold you back is your GCSE's, definitely get that english language but having two GCSE will seriously limit your options, either try and get some more or check if there's a uni which would accept those two and has A-level requirements you can reach.

As you're not applying to medicine this year, I would say just focus on doing your resits and getting those grades, and get medicine out of your head for the moment. There's really nothing you can do right now, but yes it's still possible for you to do medicine, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise if you know really want it.

When it comes to revision try and get a tutor for chemistry, getting taught by someone who you can relate to can help to make it click, especially as chemistry is one of those subjects which can be tedious to get your head round alone.

Once you get your A2 grades, if you don't manage to get the the grades you need just double check before resitting if the universities you plan on applying to accept resitting A-levels. If not look at the other options: Medicine abroad, A degree and apply as graduate...

Hope this helps bro
    helps alot. thx so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    You need to look at the requirements of the medicine with foundation year courses and consult universities about whether your lack of GCSE's will be an issue- many require more than 2. A quick glance shows me that:
    - Kings 6 year course is only for those at certain non selective state schools in Greater London, and entry requirements range from AAA-BBB- I presume the uni would determine what each individual offer would be within that range.
    - UEA want ABB achieved within 2 years and you must come from a disadvantaged background- household income under £35,000 in local authority care or live in East Anglia
    -Nottingham want BBC achieved within 2 years with the 2 B's in Bio and Chem. On top of that you must come from a disadvantaged neighbourhood and meet another example of being disadvantaged :low household income, in care, refugee, or carer
    - Manchester: won't accept those who've taken Chemistry A-Level onto their foundation year.

I haven't covered every uni, but as you can see, unless you are disadvantaged in some way your choices will be severely limited.
    thanQ very much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.