The Student Room Group

Should I just accept I am going to be unhappy for a very long time? Split.

I broke up with my partner a few weeks ago, I am never going to see her again. It's over. I love her and I want her to be happy, but I am so unhappy. I hated showing my feelings, I wished her the best and she's moved abroad to start her new life. But yeah, I feel dead inside, I just have a lot of depression from this.

The ethically right thing to think would be that if i truly want her to be happy I would be at peace with her ending up with someone else and settling down with the whole family etc. But yeah, that kills me. I prefer to totally block any contact or news.

Can one really fully recover from life events like this? I can't sleep, I can't concentrate during the day.

And.. rebounds are not the answer.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

Yeah you'll be screwed for a while, maybe forever, but you might get over it eventually so just keep going.
Reply 2
Original post by whorace
Yeah you'll be screwed for a while, maybe forever, but you might get over it eventually so just keep going.

Ha.. Great, a nice dosage of depression. Just what the doctor prescribed.
Depression is a bit of an extreme. I have depression and it isn't something to be taken lightly, believe me.

Blocking contact would be a good idea if you're struggling to move on. It means you won't be thinking about when/if she'll message you etc, and you don't need to hear about her new life abroad. Just focus on your studies or on work and find a way to channel your feelings into something positive, such as your job or on a hobby you really like. It isn't easy but you need to consciously make an effort or you won't stop feeling this way for a long time.
Reply 4
[QUOTE=georgiaswift;63694567]Depression is a bit of an extreme. I have depression and it isn't something to be taken lightly, believe me.

Blocking contact would be a good idea if you're struggling to move on. It means you won't be thinking about when/if she'll message you etc, and you don't need to hear about her new life abroad. Just focus on your studies or on work and find a way to channel your feelings into something positive, such as your job or on a hobby you really like. It isn't easy but you need to consciously make an effort or you won't stop feeling this way for a long time.

I had it anyway, this has made it worse. I had clinical depression after graduation diagnosed. It got better but now I am pretty damn depressed again.
It will take time. Everything gets better with time. Good luck it'll get better hopefully. Try to focus on other things.
Reply 6
I broke up with my partner a few weeks ago, I am never going to see her again. It's over. I love her and I want her to be happy, but I am so unhappy. I hated showing my feelings, I wished her the best and she's moved abroad to start her new life. But yeah, I feel dead inside, I just have a lot of depression from this.

The ethically right thing to think would be that if i truly want her to be happy I would be at peace with her ending up with someone else and settling down with the whole family etc. But yeah, that kills me. I prefer to totally block any contact or news.

Can one really fully recover from life events like this? I can't sleep, I can't concentrate during the day.

Yes. Life is full of this sort of crap. You'll get over it.
Reply 7
You will be okay, it just takes time. I went through a hard break up a few years ago and it was tough but you do get through it. No contact is best, keeping contact will only prolong the pain and stall the healing process. You will be fine! :h:

Rebounds are the answer. Nothings makes you forget about old pussy quicker than new pussy.

Yes you will recover. Not yet and it may take a long time. But time is the only true healer. And tbh it will take as long as it takes.

Your best bet, as hard as it sounds is to keep busy so your not brooding. It will be hard and your mind will most certainly wander, but day by day you will recover

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending