Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I can't find a thread for this exam board and subject anywhere, so I thought I'd make one. Would anyone else on this same board be willing to exchange revision notes/tips with me? I'd just like to hear about how anyone else doing this subject is coping

ReputationRep:
    Yo, I am doing this course as well! What do you want advice on?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazer154)
    Yo, I am doing this course as well! What do you want advice on?
    Omg hey!!!!!!
    How are you revising???????????????

ReputationRep:
    Exam tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    Mate, just stay calm. It's all gonna be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Mate, just stay calm. It's all gonna be fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey! Did you do the exam today?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did, I did section A not section B and the essay on the use of percussion essay questions. I was happy Bach came up, and Manteca was my favourite jazz piece so all good!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe like 65-75/90? Depends on the generosity of the marking!! I really hope it's alright...

ReputationRep:
    Well mine was okay however...

Did you notice that for the Bach piece, they put 'flute' for the recorder line!?! (I know that flauto means recorder, but they actually put flute!!). I knew it was meant to be a recorder, but I referred to it as a flute, as this is what they put - do you think they'll mind?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris-Graham)
    Well mine was okay however...

Did you notice that for the Bach piece, they put 'flute' for the recorder line!?! (I know that flauto means recorder, but they actually put flute!!). I knew it was meant to be a recorder, but I referred to it as a flute, as this is what they put - do you think they'll mind?
    I wrote the exact same thing! I knew it was a recorder yet I still wrote 'flute'. I'm kicking myself for not mentioning it now.

What essay question did you choose? I chose the Comparison between the Bach and Mozart.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatcs001)
    I wrote the exact same thing! I knew it was a recorder yet I still wrote 'flute'. I'm kicking myself for not mentioning it now.

What essay question did you choose? I chose the Comparison between the Bach and Mozart.
    I'm so glad someone else did!!!!!!!! I 100% knew it was a recorder, so they obviously made a mistake!
    I chose the evolution of jazz/recording conditions thing, because I knew a brief amount of context on that.
    Also wtf I heard like no difference between the two Brandenburg recordings except that one was slightly faster?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris-Graham)
    I'm so glad someone else did!!!!!!!! I 100% knew it was a recorder, so they obviously made a mistake!
    I chose the evolution of jazz/recording conditions thing, because I knew a brief amount of context on that.
    Also wtf I heard like no difference between the two Brandenburg recordings except that one was slightly faster?!
    I said that the second was slightly slower and that the pitch was slightly lower. Also, I think the instruments were natural for both recordings? And I said that the recording quality was better for the second recording so I guess I covered both similarities and differences. I made a few more vague points but I think I might have got 7, pooooossibly 8 points if I am lucky...

Did you have anything to say about the techniques for the solo instrument of Manteca? I said it was a tenor saxophone and literally couldn't think of anything to write!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hatcs001)
    I said that the second was slightly slower and that the pitch was slightly lower. Also, I think the instruments were natural for both recordings? And I said that the recording quality was better for the second recording so I guess I covered both similarities and differences. I made a few more vague points but I think I might have got 7, pooooossibly 8 points if I am lucky...

Did you have anything to say about the techniques for the solo instrument of Manteca? I said it was a tenor saxophone and literally couldn't think of anything to write!!!
    Oh God! Well I said it played a glissando, with fall offs and pitch bends, literally couldn't think tho.

And for that Bach bs, I said that one extract was a muted trumpet and one wasn't

ReputationRep:
    Differences:

- Slightly slower
    - Trumpet more present in one and more balanced in the other
    -More articulated in one and softer in the other
    - concertino balanced more in the other, whereas the counterpoint can be heard very clearly in the other

- pitch slightly lower (didn't mention though!)

I agree some of the changes where very subtle! These were some of my points I remember.

Techniques:

- glissando
    - swung rhythm
    - pitch bends
    - vibrato

I just said a load of techniques and they're probably right (I hope). They would ask the question if there's wasn't much to say tbh.

I'm just hoping what I say will be in the old m'scheme.

Any other questions???

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Differences:

- Slightly slower
    - Trumpet more present in one and more balanced in the other
    -More articulated in one and softer in the other
    - concertino balanced more in the other, whereas the counterpoint can be heard very clearly in the other

- pitch slightly lower (didn't mention though!)

I agree some of the changes where very subtle! These were some of my points I remember.

Techniques:

- glissando
    - swung rhythm
    - pitch bends
    - vibrato

I just said a load of techniques and they're probably right (I hope). They would ask the question if there's wasn't much to say tbh.

I'm just hoping what I say will be in the old m'scheme.

Any other questions???

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes! Did you do the classical or popular unheard music first?

ReputationRep:
    Classical.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Classical.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Same - It seemed to be easier to me. I really struggled with the melodic dictation!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I put...wait what was that one? Was it on the first page, like how is the melody changed in bars 9-16 or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I put...wait what was that one? Was it on the first page, like how is the melody changed in bars 9-16 or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure what you mean??

ReputationRep:
    Ok what did you say in answer to that question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.