Turn on thread page Beta

What are your experiences? watch

I'm going to receive my GCSE results in 10 days - I'm excited and nervous at the same time.

Does anyone here have any experiences with the Results Day? Generally did you all get the grades you wanted or more, or was it a dissapointment.

I've heard people say that you are often suprised with the grades you get - is this for the good, or for the bad???

ReputationRep:
    My grades were MUCH better than expected. As sad as it sounds, I would class my last results day to be one of the best days of my life. It was just so thrilling getting all those A*s when I expected a few A's and the rest B's and C's. Hopefully (but unlikely) I'll have a rerun of good results this year too.

Like every results day it was baking hot and sunny. I decided to go in early as the suspense was killing me. I cycled to school, locked my bike up and began searching the abandoned corridors. As I approached the library area, I started to see groups of girls looking at pieces of paper - talking and smiling. I went in the library, saw my old history teacher and asked for my results.

I was given a large white envelope with my name printed on it. I decided not to open it there and then but to cycle home and see my results in front of my family. The suspense was killing me. I had cycled half way home when I just opened up the envelope next to a busy road. As I looked at the grades, I could see EE, D, F, G, D, U... not one single C! I suddenly felt abandoned by the system, alone in this big wide world. I had messed about in class and I was now going to pay for it later on in life.

For weeks I was on a downer, I didn't feel like getting up each morning - after all, what was the point? I looked on as all my friends, ex-bullies, people I didn't like and idiots went on to Sixth Form to better themselves. I could have got a job or done an NVQ, but why do that? Nobody respects you and you're treated like a t-boy for five years.

It was now September 4th when I discovered that I could have a second chance at school - all though a GNVQ Intermediate qualification. I signed up immediately and began the qualification. I had so much motivation and enthusiasm that I did well in this course, went onto the advanced course and did three A-levels a subjects I enjoy. I'm now predicted Bs and Cs and I have a conditional offer from university. To be honest, I'm actually doing better now than some of the people who got good GCSEs. Even though I'm a year behind, I'm actually glad I did fail my GCSEs. It encouraged me to work harder and do my best.

Whatever your GCSE results are, don't worry. It's not the be-all and end-all.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite a moving and inspiring story I'm so shocked that someone like you (from what I can see you're articulate and intelligent) got grades like that. Nevermind, it goes to show doesn't it. GCSE's don't really matter THAT much in the longrun. Once I had got over the celebrations I felt like my GCSE's didn't mean anything at all, no one seemed to really care and they don't impact your future greatly. Plus I had to brace myself for another set of exams for the next two years.

To be honest, it really depends on how you felt you did and how much of an optimist you are. Just because someone else who was predicted 5Bs and 4Cs received 6As and 4Bs has little relevance to your own experience.

However that said, many people are pessimists (more girls than boys I think) and straight after an exam don't think "Well that was ok." but rather "Oh no I got question 5a wrong and question 7b wrong which leaves me only 5 more marks to lose before I drop a grade..."

Anyway last year I decided not to open my results in the collection room as I decided I didn't want to cry infront of everyone if I had done badly (I thought I had done badly at science which I needed to do well in because of my career choice). But once I got there, the adrenaline rush was overpowering and I opened it straight there and then. And it wasn't bad at all.

Anyway my advice is just to get it over and done with and you never know, you may be surprised. I would say in my school majority were 'good' surprised but I do remember quite a few 'sad' surprises. But they soon got over it!

ReputationRep:
    That's a really good idea...*makes a mental note not to open results there in case I start crying and make an even BIGGER fool of self*

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't really surprised with mine, except for getting As in English cos I thought I would have gotten Bs. Well, the only thing apart from English was that I (apparently) got a D in IT, so had to get that checked out. I eventually found out that Edexcel couldn't find my coursework :/. It got sorted out in the end though.

What does really suck though is when you're walking to the collection point and you hear screams in the background yelling "8A*s and 2A*s!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    What does really suck though is when you're walking to the collection point and you hear screams in the background yelling "8A*s and 2A*s!"
    OOPS I was probably one of those. hehehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy)
    Heh, we didn't have anyone like that at my secondary school.

ReputationRep:
    well- my gcse's were as id expected! its funny- the exams i worked hardest at were the ones i did worst at...but i know that if i hadnt worked at them i would n't have got any where near the grades i did get.

my first as results day was amazin.
    i was only picking up one result and was late for school (it was an ordinary school day) and all the senior staff were smiling at me...which is rare.... and then i got m result i was in so much shock i fell down the stairs. btw i had an a - and i was the only one out of my class to pass it. added to that - 2 weeks before the results were due out the teacher had managed to convince me id failed and i gave a presentation to the teachers on why id failed???

then the summer resulta day was good - i came out with 2 a's 2 b's which was amazin coz most of my year did crap. i think there was only about 5 people woh had a's.

then march results came out...and oops! i failed my first 2 exams ever. i had a mixture of results- some were better than i expected -some were a lot worse. id sat 13 exams- so it was expected.

and now summer...im hoping hey'll b good= im expecting to be dissapointed.

oh well.
    theres my experience!

love Katy ***

lol this year round I'm planning a quick dash to the collection point and then off to the loos (to build up the courage) to minimise the chance of any encounters with happy students and happy mums!

GCSEs are so similar to AS and A2 levels. Actually, I'd say that GCSEs are harder because there's more subjects to do.

(Original post by Lucy)
    8A*s and 2As you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    Like every results day it was baking hot and sunny. I decided to go in early as the suspense was killing me. I cycled to school, locked my bike up and began searching the abandoned corridors. As I approached the library area, I started to see groups of girls looking at pieces of paper - talking and smiling. I went in the library, saw my old history teacher and asked for my results.

I was given a large white envelope with my name printed on it. I decided not to open it there and then but to cycle home and see my results in front of my family. The suspense was killing me. I had cycled half way home when I just opened up the envelope next to a busy road. As I looked at the grades, I could see EE, D, F, G, D, U... not one single C! I suddenly felt abandoned by the system, alone in this big wide world. I had messed about in class and I was now going to pay for it later on in life.

For weeks I was on a downer, I didn't feel like getting up each morning - after all, what was the point? I looked on as all my friends, ex-bullies, people I didn't like and idiots went on to Sixth Form to better themselves. I could have got a job or done an NVQ, but why do that? Nobody respects you and you're treated like a t-boy for five years.

It was now September 4th when I discovered that I could have a second chance at school - all though a GNVQ Intermediate qualification. I signed up immediately and began the qualification. I had so much motivation and enthusiasm that I did well in this course, went onto the advanced course and did three A-levels a subjects I enjoy. I'm now predicted Bs and Cs and I have a conditional offer from university. To be honest, I'm actually doing better now than some of the people who got good GCSEs. Even though I'm a year behind, I'm actually glad I did fail my GCSEs. It encouraged me to work harder and do my best.

Whatever your GCSE results are, don't worry. It's not the be-all and end-all.
    Ahhh, I like stories with a happy ending

Too Adhsur

What did you actually get in your GCSEs? :confused:

8A*s and 2As you mean?
    Or maybe it was 8 As and 2 A*s.

Or maybe it was 8 As and 2 A*s.
    blah @ that typo

oops my bad

well it sucks any way you scream it (in the sense of that you're hearing it of course )

I was thinking, wouldn't be utterly terrible if Year 12s had gotten really bad AS results, but had done incredibly well during GCSEs? That would be completely bombing to one's ego wouldn't it? Something like, I dunno, 7A* in GCSE and ended up with 4/5 Cs at AS. I wonder if something unfortunate like this has ever happened before. That would be totally unbearable I would think - since Year 12 AS results are almost everything for the university applications, as universities highly depend on them.

Oops, I meant "wouldn't it be utterly terrible if..."

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.