Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    SO IT'S NEARLY THAT TIME OF YEAR AGAIN

I'm studying education and families and households, along with research methods and methods in context.

What do you guys thing will come up for both these units?

What do you think we will be asked to define, and what would the 20 marker question be on?

Last year the 20 marker was on educational policies, so I doubt that would come up again.

Kind of getting worried now, as the time is so close!

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I hope you don't mind me intruding - I do sociology at A2 with AQA and did the same units as you!
    The exam wasn't that bad and I got a B in it, but I really wouldn't advise not revising educational policy (One of the guys who did psychology didn't revise one of the studies because it came up in the last one. Guess what was on the paper?)
    IDK how good your teaching has been for methods in context, but my teacher is friends with one of the soc AS examiners, and suggested this layout as the most efficient way to get top marks
    Intro --> Why was the topic chosen, explain the method
    Main Body --> A ratio of 2:3 for strengths and weaknesses for that method in that context, linking points together normally shows a top band candidate (make a weakness a strength and vice versa)
    Link --> Use a study of that topic and how the method may have been applied (such as using a structured interview in Rosenthal and Jacobson if you still do that study)
    Conclusion --> Positivism vs interpretivism (if you cover that at AS) with a link to the topic and method, suggest which method may be better for the context

Best of luck and if you have any questions about the AS stuff, feel free to shoot me a message!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlteredBoy)
    Hey! I hope you don't mind me intruding - I do sociology at A2 with AQA and did the same units as you!
    The exam wasn't that bad and I got a B in it, but I really wouldn't advise not revising educational policy (One of the guys who did psychology didn't revise one of the studies because it came up in the last one. Guess what was on the paper?)
    IDK how good your teaching has been for methods in context, but my teacher is friends with one of the soc AS examiners, and suggested this layout as the most efficient way to get top marks
    Intro --> Why was the topic chosen, explain the method
    Main Body --> A ratio of 2:3 for strengths and weaknesses for that method in that context, linking points together normally shows a top band candidate (make a weakness a strength and vice versa)
    Link --> Use a study of that topic and how the method may have been applied (such as using a structured interview in Rosenthal and Jacobson if you still do that study)
    Conclusion --> Positivism vs interpretivism (if you cover that at AS) with a link to the topic and method, suggest which method may be better for the context

Best of luck and if you have any questions about the AS stuff, feel free to shoot me a message!

WOW, Thank you so much for the response! Really did help!
    I'm just curious to know what's most likely going to come up, although there's no way of finding out :'(
    Well done on getting a B though!
    The thing is, I keep getting a D in the essays and its so annoying now, I don't know where i'm going wrong.
    My targets are to always revise but revision isn't going so well either
    I wanted to ask you, how do you revise for these units?!
    Much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say there's no point in trying to work it out, but looking at the specimen paper and past paper questions would be one way of seeing what's 'overdue'. As for revision, going through the text book and making notes is always good although you probably don't have enough time to do this now. Making a glossary of all your key terms and what each sociologist said/did in brief should be sufficient enough to get a good mark.
    I'd take that up with your teacher to see where else you need to go with your essays - sometimes revising is only half the story and your essay writing skills may need work.
    Believe me when I say that I know getting D's are frustrating, but your teacher may just be a harsh marker. I don't understand why some are like this, but I have a feeling its to make you work harder for the next essay (as if you only do sociology -_-). One of mine is like this and her superior has had a bit of a chat with her about it (idk if the one that's giving you D's is the head of department or what but it might be wise to have a chat with a relevant teacher of higher status?)
    Honestly though if you have a point in the exams, do it. I'm not quite sure how but I managed to cite the NHS as a cause of domestic violence, I think I got a mark from it but oh god 😂

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.