Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can a UK Police Officer transfer to the Australian Federal Police Force? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently on track to study Psychology at Plymouth University later this year, but am now considering a career in Policing. I'm not too fond of the UK due to me finding it's weather depressing and aspects of its culture besides the British sense of humour very dull, so I'd like to consider moving to Australia and becoming a Police Officer over there.

I'm looking into becoming a Special Police Constable here in the UK during my degree, then potentially attempting to become a full-time Constable. Would I be able to at some point transfer to the Australian Federal Police Force, and if so, how?

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought it's unlikely as the UK's police forces are completely separate from the Australian Federal Police and the AFP probably only accept Australian citizens. You could consider joining the National Crime Agency and trying to get a job as an overseas liaison officer (though these are likely to be limited) or applying to join a police force in one of the British overseas territories in a warmer climate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyFalcon)
    I'm currently on track to study Psychology at Plymouth University later this year, but am now considering a career in Policing. I'm not too fond of the UK due to me finding it's weather depressing and aspects of its culture besides the British sense of humour very dull, so I'd like to consider moving to Australia and becoming a Police Officer over there.

I'm looking into becoming a Special Police Constable here in the UK during my degree, then potentially attempting to become a full-time Constable. Would I be able to at some point transfer to the Australian Federal Police Force, and if so, how?
    It's would ultimately depend on if police officers are on the Australian skilled occupation list at the time u are going to apply. It changes yearly. And also if the qualifications and experience you have are enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Australia does run recruitment schemes for Police Officers. Not so sure about other forces but I know a lot of Met officers who have gone over. The most recent example had to pay for his flights over there for his interview mind, so I imagine it depends on how great their need at the time is for fresh blood.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.