The Student Room Group

I have one question about English grammar

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by john2054
Excuse me but this statement is 'incorrect'.

A colloquialism is a saying, or form of (generally spoken) English which is correct, given the context. Please stop trying to be a grammar dictator, it isn't very nice!

I'm just trying to keep things simple for the person trying to learn; many colloquialisms must seem extremely odd to someone who is new to English. Sorry if I appear to be very blunt! :smile:
Original post by ombtom
Let's not confuse the OP. Colloquialisms are generally incorrect.

Colloquial language is distinct from formal speech or formal writing.[2] It is the variety of language that speakers typically use when they are relaxed and not especially self-conscious. (from wiki)

This doesn't mean that is is incorrect, just that it is a different from of English. Try reading Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh, it is entirely written 'colloquially', and also is a best seller!
Original post by rileystringer1
What is your native language?

Turkish.
js they don't make sense in "colloquial English" either, not in any form of English would those sentences please my ears

they may not please your ears, but they make perfect sense. anyone who is trying to learn french, appreciates the complexity of language construction, and for a non native speaker,, sometimes word order is difficult. people on this thread who are being grammar dictators, need to get off their high horses and take a chill pill.

And yes i do know what i am talking about.
Original post by tanimadinmiben

Do you think does your brother like you? or Do you think your brother likes you? which one true?

Do you think am I stupid? or Do you think I am stupid? Which one true?

In this case both, do you think your brother likes you?, and do you think, does your brother like you? is correct. also do you think i am stupid, and do you think, am i stupid? are correct.

Please don't worry too much about the subtleties of English construction. as i said already actually they are all correct!
In this case both, do you think your brother likes you?, and do you think, does your brother like you? is correct. also do you think i am stupid, and do you think, am i stupid? are correct.

Please don't worry too much about the subtleties of English construction. as i said already actually they are all correct!

Mmm Okay. Can you help me how can I improve my English?. Which website, which apps I have to use?
Original post by FluffyCherry
I thought you were trolling at first, but anyway, the guy that answered you is right!

not everyone is here for trolling mann :u:
Just practice. Do thinks like watch english television programs on youtube, and read english books. even if you don't understand every single word. Do you want me to send you a link for a youtube program to watch?
Just practice. Do thinks like watch english television programs on youtube, and read english books. even if you don't understand every single word. Do you want me to send you a link for a youtube program to watch?

yes please.
Original post by fatima1998
not everyone is here for trolling mann :u:

Lool I know maan..
Original post by tanimadinmiben
yes please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fGq-59bymE&list=PL-5BgyMQOvKQofPwkuTlHYK4DacpT4pYj

Try and see if you can watch all of this episode. it lasts about 20 minutes. i love this series! (set in america)
they may not please your ears, but they make perfect sense. anyone who is trying to learn french, appreciates the complexity of language construction, and for a non native speaker,, sometimes word order is difficult. people on this thread who are being grammar dictators, need to get off their high horses and take a chill pill.

pk ta parler du francais
pk ta parler du francais

une peu, oui merci!
une peu, oui merci!

un peu c masculin, et g pa demander une question ?? :lol:

If someone is learning English, and is being assessed on their knowledge of formal English, it makes no sense to try to teach that person informal English. Further, the posts you're referring to are not "colloquial"; they're wrong, syntactically, in every dialect.
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
If someone is learning English, and is being assessed on their knowledge of formal English, it makes no sense to try to teach that person informal English. Further, the posts you're referring to are not "colloquial"; they're wrong, syntactically, in every dialect.

colloquial means spoken english. in spoken english it is perfectly fine to order words differently from the norm. not only am i the author of four books, i am very well close to completing my degree. what are your qualifications to challenge this accolade???
un peu c masculin, et g pa demander une question ?? :lol:

je ne comprenez tout biens cettes gendre, oui merci. c'est toutes biens!
colloquial means spoken english. in spoken english it is perfectly fine to order words differently from the norm. not only am i the author of four books, i am very well close to completing my degree. what are your qualifications to challenge this accolade???

OP mentioned a teacher in the first post. So it would be safe to assume he/she is studying this for a qualification. Generally in second language qualifications, accuracy is not marked by how correct it is colloquially, but by how technically accurate it is.
Original post by Student403
OP mentioned a teacher in the first post. So it would be safe to assume he/she is studying this for a qualification. Generally in second language qualifications, accuracy is not marked by how correct it is colloquially, but by how technically accurate it is.

true. ignore everything i have said. it was just a second opinion

I am not sure why every interaction with you comes down to you bragging about your credentials. I don't mean to be rude, but nearly completing a sociology degree at the University of Derby says nothing about your linguistic skills. Stop making things personal.

Those sample sentences are never spoken by competent speakers of English; they are inherently non-colloquial.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending