The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Meng and Beng at Imperial

Hi,

I applied for and was admitted to Meng in Mathematics and Computer Science.

Now that money is an issue ( I am an intl so aid isnt possible), I was wondering if I could switch to the Beng in Mathematics and Computer Science which is cheaper since it's only for 3 years instead of 4.

Is switching possible and is it worth it? How much of an edge does a Meng give instead of a Beng? If switching is possible, what is the process
My friend switched from BEng to MEng for Maths/CS when he got there in 1st year. So I don't see why you couldn't do the opposite. Of the process, I'm not sure
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Thanks, atleast now I know that it is possible so I can email them about the process. Why did your friend switch? What are the added benefits of the Meng?

Original post by Student403
My friend switched from BEng to MEng for Maths/CS when he got there in 1st year. So I don't see why you couldn't do the opposite. Of the process, I'm not sure
Original post by fs12345
Thanks, atleast now I know that it is possible so I can email them about the process. Why did your friend switch? What are the added benefits of the Meng?

Actually before applying he had heard from another friend at Imperial that the BEng had a higher offer rate or something but switching was quite easy. So he applied with the intention of switching the entire time. And I guess the benefit is a Master's over a Bachelor's. But I wouldn't do that tbh - sounds risky
I can't speak for your subject but for Physics switching between the 3 and 4 year courses is apparently a very simple process. I think they've said that switching from 4 to 3 year is super easy unless you only request during the 3rd year so you should be OK. Of course, we're told this as actual students already studying there so we would just contact our personal tutor for more information, I'd email admissions to ask the process for applicants with offers (although they take a while to reply).
Reply 5
Hmm.

So if switching when you are there is very feasible, I could just wait until I (hopefully) meet my offer and then talk about switching when I arrive.

Thanks guys.
Reply 6
Original post by fs12345
Hi,

I applied for and was admitted to Meng in Mathematics and Computer Science.

Now that money is an issue ( I am an intl so aid isnt possible), I was wondering if I could switch to the Beng in Mathematics and Computer Science which is cheaper since it's only for 3 years instead of 4.

Is switching possible and is it worth it? How much of an edge does a Meng give instead of a Beng? If switching is possible, what is the process

Hi there, congratulations for your offer for JMC!

It doesn't really matter at this stage - I would recommend as a top priority to focus on meeting your offer and get in.

You can freely switch between BEng and MEng up until October of your third year, though you have to do reasonably well to stay on the MEng streams. Furthermore, you can switch between the three MEng streams (that is the general one, Computational Stats, and Pure Maths and Logic) up until Autumn term of fourth year, subject to some subject choice constraints.
Original post by liu.chbn
Hi there, congratulations for your offer for JMC!

It doesn't really matter at this stage - I would recommend as a top priority to focus on meeting your offer and get in.

You can freely switch between BEng and MEng up until October of your third year, though you have to do reasonably well to stay on the MEng streams. Furthermore, you can switch between the three MEng streams (that is the general one, Computational Stats, and Pure Maths and Logic) up until Autumn term of fourth year, subject to some subject choice constraints.

Hey

Would it be fair to say that applying for the BEng then might work better for admission to some courses, if statistically they have a significantly higher offer rate?
Reply 8
Original post by Student403
Hey

Would it be fair to say that applying for the BEng then might work better for admission to some courses, if statistically they have a significantly higher offer rate?

Unfortunately I am not aware of offer rate being different for BEng and MEng courses. As far as I know to Imperial Computing admissions, you are in the same pool regardless of the length of course you are applying (i.e. one pool for all Computing, one pool for all JMC).

Maybe I am wrong, maybe that is just Computing but not other courses at imperial. Though I am certain Dept of Computing encourages people in doubt to apply for MEng course, so I am not sure if the point "BEng applications work better for admission stands".
Original post by liu.chbn
Unfortunately I am not aware of offer rate being different for BEng and MEng courses. As far as I know to Imperial Computing admissions, you are in the same pool regardless of the length of course you are applying (i.e. one pool for all Computing, one pool for all JMC).

Maybe I am wrong, maybe that is just Computing but not other courses at imperial. Though I am certain Dept of Computing encourages people in doubt to apply for MEng course, so I am not sure if the point "BEng applications work better for admission stands".

Okay thanks :smile: I think being in the same pool pretty much renders the "strategic applying" useless, then! I guess the disparity is just a coincidence. I do remember the pffer rate being different on some courses, perhaps not on JMC/Computing
Reply 10
Hullo,

To add to what was said, the biggest difference between MEng BEng is third/fourth year. Before then, you will be following the same course. In that third year, a BEng student will be preparing their individual project during second/third term. The MEng student will be looking for their placement (mine is just about to start tomorrow!) which lasts 6 months for Computing, 4 months for JMC.

After that, the MEng student will have another host of courses during their fourth year. These are often more in depth and technical or at least a similar difficulty to the third year courses. The idea is that you want to pursue a more specific path, hopefully leading from your placement experience (or not), and have discovered interest in some specific subjects.

Given the similarity between the first two years, you can always switch from one to the other, though I would say it is best to apply to MEng and then switch should you feel more like it.

Trying to "game" the application process with our department is usually a waste of time given how applications are done and handled (ie: An individual reads your application and invites you to the interview process), so just go with what you really want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending