Turn on thread page Beta

Macbook vs Macbook air vs Macbook pro watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not a waste certain people like paying the pemiium and being in the mac exclusive tribe. Apple happy. Poor games machine though.............
    Paying the premium for what though? so you can say you have a mac? There is no real reason to buy one over a windows machine.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by MyNameWasTaken12)
    Paying the premium for what though? so you can say you have a mac? There is no real reason to buy one over a windows machine.
    Some people are prepared to pay that they like the mac environment. Just because you like windows doesnt mean they cant prefer mac.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are prepared to pay that they like the mac environment. Just because you like windows doesnt mean they cant prefer mac.
    Sure you can prefer it and I won't argue with that however if there isn't a good reason for paying the extra money I find it silly (not to mention you can get mac skins for free on windows).
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Its a good enough reason for them. Its a bit of a pointless debate. they feel comofier with a mac, hence the cleverness of the brand.

ReputationRep:
    I have the macbook pro 13" with retina display and my 2 friends both have the Macbook Air 11".

We all use our laptops for the same things on a daily basis and I have noticed that my battery life is longer than theirs.

in terms of performance I havent really noticed a difference, so really go with whatever one is best for your price range

ReputationRep:
    Its a good enough reason for them. Its a bit of a pointless debate. they feel comofier with a mac, hence the cleverness of the brand.
    I was just trying to convince him to not waste his/her money.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    I was just trying to convince him to not waste his/her money.
    save your breath most people once theye decided will go ahead with buying one. You also get yourself into a pointless mac v windows debate.

ReputationRep:
    save your breath most people once theye decided will go ahead with buying one. You also get yourself into a pointless mac v windows debate.
    There is no debate to be had, Macs are a waste of money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maria1812)
    What is the difference between the three and which one is best to buy for school.

Macbook air:11-inch from £749 13-inch from £849
    Macbook pro:13 inch £999 15 inch from £1599
    Macbook:£1,049

don't waste your money on the MacBook Pro, the MacBook Air is more than sufficient
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    4th option: surface book with virtualbox installed running yosemite (ps is it possible to make yosemite touch ready or only mouse/keyboard input) if you want a thin laptop (which can be used as a tablet and costs same as a pro).

5th option: make your own laptop if your after specs and install virtual box with yosemite
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    There is no debate to be had, Macs are a waste of money.
    Not for the people who are prepared to pay the price and enjoy owning them.

ReputationRep:
    I've been using a 15" MBP for 4 years now. Used it through university, now it serves for my work too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XMaramena)
    I've been using a 15" MBP for 4 years now. Used it through university, now it serves for my work too.
    Are you still using your original battery? If so, is it retaining a lot of charge? I'll be using my 13 inch MBP for at least 4 or 5 years and the battery life over several years is the thing most concerning for me, as after 1000 charge cycles they're supposed to start significantly losing capacity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    Are you still using your original battery? If so, is it retaining a lot of charge? I'll be using my 13 inch MBP for at least 4 or 5 years and the battery life over several years is the thing most concerning for me, as after 1000 charge cycles they're supposed to start significantly losing capacity.
    I also own a 4 yo 15" MBP (2011 gen), and it's battery life is nearly as good as the day I got it. With the battery charged to a 100%, I can easily run 2+ Adobe programs, Word, Spotify, a web browser and finder at the same time upwards of 4 hours. It will last for several days if I close all programs and just let it sit on my desk in sleep mode.
    The charger is the main problem. It breaks easily, and may catch fire. Keep an eye on the *******, because they're definitely not built to last long - and getting a new one costs £100. My charger broke after 4 years (started melting!!), but lots of my classmates lost theirs after 2 years. Then again, I've always handled my things slightly more carefully than most people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vonbroten)
    I also own a 4 yo 15" MBP (2011 gen), and it's battery life is nearly as good as the day I got it. With the battery charged to a 100%, I can easily run 2+ Adobe programs, Word, Spotify, a web browser and finder at the same time upwards of 4 hours. It will last for several days if I close all programs and just let it sit on my desk in sleep mode.
    The charger is the main problem. It breaks easily, and may catch fire. Keep an eye on the *******, because they're definitely not built to last long - and getting a new one costs £100. My charger broke after 4 years (started melting!!), but lots of my classmates lost theirs after 2 years. Then again, I've always handled my things slightly more carefully than most people.
    Thanks! The battery is clearly in an amazing state considering how old it is. Apple does seem to have a bad reputation, deservedly so, with cables - several of my lightning cables have frayed, and the EarPod audio jack connectors like to fail - so I'll be careful when I get a MBP.

There's a chance they'll drop MagSafe and have the MacBook Pros charge with USB-C, as with the 2015 MacBook, which would be initially annoying, but at least then I could replace the (USB-C to USB-C) cable and the plug separately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    Thanks! The battery is clearly in an amazing state considering how old it is. Apple does seem to have a bad reputation, deservedly so, with cables - several of my lightning cables have frayed, and the EarPod audio jack connectors like to fail - so I'll be careful when I get a MBP.

There's a chance they'll drop MagSafe and have the MacBook Pros charge with USB-C, as with the 2015 MacBook, which would be initially annoying, but at least then I could replace the (USB-C to USB-C) cable and the plug separately.
    The clue about batteries is this:
    Plug in the charger immediatly when the PC tells you to. NEVER use the charger after it's fully charged. That way, your Mac's gonna live for quite some time.
    My classmates always used their chargers whenever they were working on the Mac, and thus the battery life dropped incredibly fast. The 2nd year of owning their Mac, some could not turn it on without plugging in the charger first.

To save the charger: unplug it from the socket when not in use.

And never charge the Mac when you're asleep. The charger gets incredibly warm. I charged my Mac while I slept, and had it not been for my man (who was awake and gaming) I would've started a fire. He smelled the melting plastic and woke me up to help him look for the source. It was my charger. It was so warm I couldn't touch it.

ReputationRep:
    Air seems to flimsy so I went for pro

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Plug in the charger immediatly when the PC tells you to. NEVER use the charger after it's fully charged. That way, your Mac's gonna live for quite some time.
    My classmates always used their chargers whenever they were working on the Mac, and thus the battery life dropped incredibly fast. The 2nd year of owning their Mac, some could not turn it on without plugging in the charger first.

And never charge the Mac when you're asleep. The charger gets incredibly warm. I charged my Mac while I slept, and had it not been for my man (who was awake and gaming) I would've started a fire. He smelled the melting plastic and woke me up to help him look for the source. It was my charger. It was so warm I couldn't touch it.
    Thank you so much for the tips!

ReputationRep:

Modern laptops are smart enough to just run on the mains and not keep charging the battery once it's charged, so this shouldn't be a problem. In fact if you're just sat it one place all day it would be better to use the mains instead of using your battery, as this will use up another charge cycle.

If your charger was actually melting then you must have had a faulty one or a fake, it should be perfectly safe to charge a computer overnight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Modern laptops are smart enough to just run on the mains and not keep charging the battery once it's charged, so this shouldn't be a problem. In fact if you're just sat it one place all day it would be better to use the mains instead of using your battery, as this will use up another charge cycle.
    Yes, I know, but it still doesn't change the fact that my peers' had no battery life left on their Macs after using the charger all the time.

(Original post by jameswhughes)
    If your charger was actually melting then you must have had a faulty one or a fake, it should be perfectly safe to charge a computer overnight.
    It started melting after 4 years of use. It was definitely not a fake one, as we all got MacBooks through the school and they order directly from Apple store. The Macs were unopened when we got them delivered to the classroom.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.