Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Guy rejected me over text. What should I do now? Watch

I never asked him on a date, but myself and a few friends were off to a music night at my local student union so I sent him a quick text asking him if he wanted to come along.

He replied straight away with what I felt was a very rude text. It said something to the effect of 'No, I will definitely be declining that invite. I am busy this evening. But.....I guess I should say thanks anyway!!!!!!' I was quite taken aback. I can see that he probably took it as me asking him on a date (definitely not my intention). I wouldn't have text had I not been drunk as we don't have a friendship so I accept that texting was just an odd thing to do. But hey, we all do daft things when drunk. I tend to get over friendly hence the text! The text was all jumbled as I was too drunk to text so that may have annoyed him too.

The problem is we study together, and for the next two months I have to spend 5 days a week with him for 10 hours a day. It's going to be so awkward! I really don't know what to do now.

We get on well together and he's always been lovely to me and gone out of his way to be friendly to me. He always seeks out my company so it would be a shame if that stopped.

I very rarely drink alcohol so thankfully this is the first time I've dealt with this type of situation.

I really don't know what to do. What's the best way to handle it? I'm thinking to keep conversation to an absolute minimum. He has a girlfriend so he needs to know I don't want to pursue anything (this is genuinely the case and infact I met a hot guy out last night who I am going on a date with). I only text to be friendly but his reply has made me dislike him. Any advice?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I'd leave it. I wouldn't mention it unless he does.

It might be really awkward if neither of us say anything.

ReputationRep:
    dont worry about it.

He said no - just carry on with your life.

ReputationRep:
    If he brings it up you can say something, but if not just ignore it and carry on as usual. It's only awkward if you overthink it.

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't know why he'd think it's a date if you had several mutual friends along. What you did was completely normal IMO (though you probably could have invited him to bring his +1).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 27, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.