Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As part of my coursework I have conducted an experiment to find the partition coefficients of various organic solutes in organic and aqueous solvents.

The equation I used was Log10([Solute in solvent A] / [Solute in solvent B])

This gave me results which matched the prior research I had conducted. Partition coefficients above 1 corresponding to a solute which favours an organic environment and vice versa. For example a coefficient of 1.2 shows that for every 1.00 moldm-3 of solute in solvent B there is 1.20 moldm-3 of the solute in solvent A.

My problem arose when I had two concentrations which were very close in value. 6.38x10-3 moldm-3 in Solvent A and 6.33x10-3 moldm-3 in Solvent B. I assumed that the partition coefficient of these two concentrations would give a result around 1, as they are nearly equal. But inputting the concentrations into the equation above gave me a partition coefficient of 3.42x10-3, which corresponds to a greatly hydrophilic solute and doesn't make sense given the close to equal concentrations.

For another set of concentrations which were fairly equal, 6.00x10-3 moldm-3 and 6.13x10-3 moldm-3 , the results were even more strange. A partition coefficient of -9.31x10-3 which shouldn't be a possible value.

What is going on here and is there some other way i can calculate partition coefficients without these wild results?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 27, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.