Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

refused to give up my seat for woman with baby on the bus today Watch

(Original post by Phoebe Buffay)
    x
    True, we are mainly a service based economy, but we still trade in physical (transportable) goods, and the costs of transporting these will matter a lot.

Anyway, I will leave this more for people with better knowledge of economics, before I get out of my depth

Could happen. We shall just have to wait. But even leaders like Marine le Pen do not advocate leaving the EU. At least, I think she thinks it may be possible to 'renegotiate' the terms of membership. I'm not sure of any that advocate leaving.
    Europe is facing decades more economic stagnation, Islamic terrorism is on the rise, immigration from an increasingly overpopulated Africa and Middle East is on the rise... In short, the 'far right' support will only grow, and become more energetic. They will eventually get into power, and radically reform the EU, or leave it altogether.

ReputationRep:
    I try not to ever sit in the front seats of the bus so it's not an issue although I'd always give up my seat for someone who looked like they needed it more, I wouldn't be happy if someone insisted I moved though as they don't know that I don't need the seat in the first place. I probably would let a mum sit down so she could easily see into the pram and talk to/look after the baby but I don't think they are entitled to a seat in the same way as an elderly person and if she outright demanded a seat I wouldn't be happy about it. I don't see the point of 'baby on board' badges, either you're heavily pregnant and I can tell and will offer you a seat or you're not very pregnant and are fine.

Teenagers are so disrespectful these days.

Priority seats are for the disabled and pregnant women.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    How can I not? Quite easily I tell you that. All of the pregnant women I've seen on the train have been perfectly capable of standing. I would only give up my seat for somebody who is very visibly old.

What especially annoys me about pregnant women on the tube is that they wear the 'baby on board' badges which are quite passive aggressive. And they must be resisted.
    I don't get those badges. All they're saying to me is "I'm pregnant, but I feel the need to point it out because I'm not heavily/visibly pregnant and the baby isn't heavy enough to be giving me a backache.". Hope you don't mind me treating you like any other able bodied person, then...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by x-pixie-x)
    If you're well enough to push a pram around then you're well enough to stand on a bus.
    Because of course, no disabled person has children, ever.

It's called manners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Obviously giving your seat up for a pregnant woman or elderly person would be the polite thing to do.

A funny advice column from years ago had a letter from a guy complaining about when he did this for a woman who asked for the seat. He got a good look at her after he stood up. When he noticed that she was incredibly svelte and athletic, he asked, "just how far along are you?" To which she said "half an hour-- and I'm completely wiped out!"

ReputationRep:
    I think paramos tots should be banned from buses anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Paramulators

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straighthate)
    i told her it doesnt matter, her baby has their own seat in the pram
    she is not entitled to my seat because shes too lazy to stand

anyone else do this all the time?

ReputationRep:
    i told her it doesnt matter, her baby has their own seat in the pram
    she is not entitled to my seat because shes too lazy to stand

anyone else do this all the time?
    Congrats, you have now step into the "All about that life" zone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cosmicstarbeast)
    Congrats, you have now step into the "All about that life" zone.
    skrrrrrrrr

ReputationRep:
    skrrrrrrrr
    indeed!

ReputationRep:
    If it's quite a long journey, and the baby gets grizzly or hungry then actually you've made life a lot harder for the mother. It'll be much harder to feed the baby while standing, trying to hold your own balance, trying to hold a crying baby, and trying to feed him at the same time.

So if you want to have a baby screaming on a bus, you did the right thing.

To be honest I do this all the time. Even ones that are pregnant. I sit down in solidarity with you OP.
    there is something wrong with your left phalange...

ReputationRep:
    You should be ashamed of yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    I don't get those badges. All they're saying to me is "I'm pregnant, but I feel the need to point it out because I'm not heavily/visibly pregnant and the baby isn't heavy enough to be giving me a backache.". Hope you don't mind me treating you like any other able bodied person, then...
    I posted earlier on this, when you are pregnant, you are quite literally not like every other able bodied person, from the fact that you make feel like vomiting 24/7 to the increased levels of progesterone causing your ligaments to become extra elastic which can mimick chronic joint disorders, to the delicate balance that the womb is trying to maintain to support that new life. In fact in the earliest stages of pregnancy, when some women wear badges and nothing visible, the situation is so delicate that a late period in many women who do not believe they are pregnant but that their body clock is just "off" by a bit, is often a miscarriage. The body is quick to reject a foetus where something is not quite right.

Just understand that the condition of someone's body is not always obvious, and know your facts about pregnancy before you make the wrong judgement that their bodies are the same as non pregnant bodies (even though it's obvious and I can't believe anyone has to have this pointed out)

ReputationRep:
    right you are OP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)

As for giving a seat to new mothers. Really, just do it. They're often exhausted beyond what you can imagine. Stop pretending to be so clever about it.
    Being a new mother is hardly the most traumatic thing imaginable. Other people might have worse things in their life or be exhausted for other reasons.

I see no logical reason why a non-pregnant mother is more deserving of a seat than anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    Being a new mother is hardly the most traumatic thing imaginable. Other people might have worse things in their life or be exhausted for other reasons.

I see no logical reason why a non-pregnant mother is more deserving of a seat than anyone else.
    True that other people may be exhausted or sick or struggling, but when a new mother gets on public transport and having a baby with her signals to you that she could well be exhausted, then it's the decent thing to do, which won't cost you much, to give up a seat.

If you can't use your logic to deduce that the woman may have a c-section wound, painful joints from increased progesterone levels, possible vaginal stitches, sleep deprivation etc etc then you can do a quick google to educate yourself.

Nothing to do with deserving. I don't know why people are making such an effort to find personal offence in giving up their seats. Some mothers are naturally relativity hardy, many are not. That's the nature of pregnancy, you doughnut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)

Also maybe google 'pregnancy related illness' and 'birth risks'. Could be some reasons for trauma there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.