Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    May not be the most popular thing to say, but I really don't think you should be having to revise this early in order to do well. If you've been paying attention in lessons for the last 2 years and you are smart enough for Cambridge or whatever then revising 2-3 weeks before the exams start should suffice. Like for me I got 8 A*'s and 2 A's, and all of my revision happened the day before each of the exams. I did what you did in writing down the specification for every subject (but only the parts I didn't already immediately recognise) and then for each exam I had maybe 4 sides of A4 of stuff I had to learn in a day which I did.

Remember GCSE's are pretty easy, and if you are wanting to go to Cambridge you shouldn't need to have to revise this much to get top marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyroncs)
    May not be the most popular thing to say, but I really don't think you should be having to revise this early in order to do well. If you've been paying attention in lessons for the last 2 years and you are smart enough for Cambridge or whatever then revising 2-3 weeks before the exams start should suffice. Like for me I got 8 A*'s and 2 A's, and all of my revision happened the day before each of the exams. I did what you did in writing down the specification for every subject (but only the parts I didn't already immediately recognise) and then for each exam I had maybe 4 sides of A4 of stuff I had to learn in a day which I did.

Remember GCSE's are pretty easy, and if you are wanting to go to Cambridge you shouldn't need to have to revise this much to get top marks.
    Woah...how did you condense a whole spec to 4 sides?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shilshark)
    Woah...how did you condense a whole spec to 4 sides?
    One of the main things I realised after failing to do proper revision for several months was that revising the things that you already know is completely pointless. So for example the sciences, I revised one unit at a time. So for B1 lets say, I looked through the spec and copied the individual facts which I didn't know, and then wrote down all the set piece answers (condensed into 3 or 4 lines) for the 6 and 4 markers they ask almost every year. Mygcsescience.com is very good for finding these if you do AQA.

For a subject like R.E you literally only need to do quotes (for AQA if I remember rightly), as a lot of it is common sense really. For history if you have paid attention in class you should only need to write down facts to revise, with all the exam templates having been drilled into your head already from practicing them in class and things.

Feel free to ask me how I did other subjects, but generally my tactic was to write down like a cheat sheet for everything I would need for an exam, and then cram learning it for it the next day.

ReputationRep:
    One of the main things I realised after failing to do proper revision for several months was that revising the things that you already know is completely pointless. So for example the sciences, I revised one unit at a time. So for B1 lets say, I looked through the spec and copied the individual facts which I didn't know, and then wrote down all the set piece answers (condensed into 3 or 4 lines) for the 6 and 4 markers they ask almost every year. Mygcsescience.com is very good for finding these if you do AQA.

For a subject like R.E you literally only need to do quotes (for AQA if I remember rightly), as a lot of it is common sense really. For history if you have paid attention in class you should only need to write down facts to revise, with all the exam templates having been drilled into your head already from practicing them in class and things.

Feel free to ask me how I did other subjects, but generally my tactic was to write down like a cheat sheet for everything I would need for an exam, and then cram learning it for it the next day.
    What other subjects did you do may I ask?

ReputationRep:
    What other subjects did you do may I ask?
    I did iGCSE English Literature and English Language, AQA Triple Science, Geography and R.E, OCR Maths and French and EdExcel History

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...one of my friends has very identical handrwiting

Anyway, you know i've been doing many different subjects a day. I think i get more done with one subject a day, but how is it going for you? Can you still remember alot of information?
    Oh right haha

Yeah, when I am focused on doing one subject, a lot of it is just refreshing my memory. If you feel doing many or one subject will be more effective then do that. Do what you feel is most efficient and most useful for you.

ReputationRep:

I'm not taking any chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sage25)
    I'm not taking any chances.
    The issue with that stance is that if you've got a good grasp of the subject already then when revising it will be obvious that you are wasting your time. And if you are revising and you are covering lots of ground it becomes clear that you didn't pay enough attention in lessons :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sage25)
    So, recently I have had my report back. On the whole it was pretty good and almost on par with my original predictions.

My Report Grades/Original Predictions:

Biology - A/A*
    Business Studies - A*/A*
    Chemistry - A*/A*
    Computer Science - A/A
    English Language - A*/A*
    English Literature - A*/A*
    Further Maths - A*/A*
    Geography - A*/A*
    German - A/A
    Maths - A*/A*
    Physics - A*/A*
    Religious Studies - A/B

For my report I achieved 8A* and 4A
    My original predictions were 9A*, 2A and a B

However, as I aspire to study Economics at the likes of Cambridge and Princeton, I am aiming for the very best grades at GCSE as well as A-level.

This means I want to change the 4 A's in my report to A*'s

I am documenting my revision each day for the easter break and most likely all the way through to my exams for my own reference and if possible to motivate others to revise. There are 7 weeks and 1 day until my first exam (Religious Studies - Unit 1), so I feel now is the right time to start revising older topics and familiarising myself with the specification of each subject again.

My revision contains two key components

1) Subject Specification
    2) Past Papers

My revision guidelines

The Subject Notebook - I will be writing out the full specification of each subject in a notebook (All of the content which exam boards require us to know for the exam). Each notebook will be colour-coded to highlight: General Info, Important Info, Titles and Diagrams. This will be useful for revision closer to the exam period as everything will be there for reference

Past Papers - I have already printed all of the available past papers for each of my subjects. There are roughly 4-6 papers for each subject. I aim to complete all of them and if not all, then as many as possible. Getting to know the type of questions the exam board will ask as well as how to answer these questions will be vital as, after all, there are only so many questions which can be asked about the specification.

There are only two components of my revision however I feel they can provide me with good preparation for the exam as well as the knowledge and technique to achieve an A* in all of my subjects.

So, from here on in I will be documenting the revision I do each day to remind myself of the goal I am working towards and at the same time try to motivate others to revise and prepare for what is the culmination of two years of hard work.

Good luck with revision to all
    These are honestly great grades! congratulations!!! I am looking forward to some of your revision techniques in order to achieve A*'s in the exams in May for three sciences..how much should I revise per day?? i have started the revision since January for the mocks but i havent done any effective revision for Physics and it's been a week into the easter holidays and i havent done any of the revision...'i have still got a month' thats what i keep saying to myself but really from tomorrow i really need to get my head down so today i am really expecting some effective revision tips from you so i can get the A*'s you got.!

ReputationRep:
    The issue with that stance is that if you've got a good grasp of the subject already then when revising it will be obvious that you are wasting your time. And if you are revising and you are covering lots of ground it becomes clear that you didn't pay enough attention in lessons :P
    Well, I have payed attention in class for the last two years, so it is just refreshing my memory so far. There's nothing wrong with going over concepts you understand, because in my experience, sometimes when I do not revise those concepts I lose marks. So, I am continuing with my revision technique as I feel I am not wasting my time and I think it will give me the best chance to ace my exams when the time comes.

ReputationRep:
    I did iGCSE English Literature and English Language, AQA Triple Science, Geography and R.E, OCR Maths and French and EdExcel History
    do you have any advice on igcse english language

and how long did it take you to revise triple science and history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tayybaf)
    These are honestly great grades! congratulations!!! I am looking forward to some of your revision techniques in order to achieve A*'s in the exams in May for three sciences..how much should I revise per day?? i have started the revision since January for the mocks but i havent done any effective revision for Physics and it's been a week into the easter holidays and i havent done any of the revision...'i have still got a month' thats what i keep saying to myself but really from tomorrow i really need to get my head down so today i am really expecting some effective revision tips from you so i can get the A*'s you got.!
    Past papers. Covering difficult concepts and learning the parts of the spec which cover what you have difficulty understanding. Maybe even flashcards. It's up to you
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How did you revise for science ?

ReputationRep:
    I am doing OCR additional science and my teacher hasn't taught us the 4's (B4,C4,P4) yet even though our exams are coming up soon. I'm predicted A in science but i want to get A*. I also want to achieve A* in all my other subjects (except English, which i hate with passion) and as a result i have been dedicating more time in the other subjects rather than teaching myself the 4's. Do you think i should teach myself all the 4's between these two weeks and get it done with? or Should i wait until school starts when i have a teacher to help me out?

I'm eager to finish off all my notes for every subject and begin doing past papers as soon as possible. Can you give me your honest opinion in what you would if you was confronted with this kind of situation? Any advice would be greatly apprenticed thanks.

ReputationRep:
    do you have any advice on igcse english language

and how long did it take you to revise triple science and history
    You should remember that the exam is also for people who don't speak English as a first language, so acing it is definitely achievable for most people.

In honesty I can't remember what I did for it, we did things like analysing texts etc in class and were given a booklet for the different types of writing tasks that may come up but I don't think I revised much at all for it. English Lit you have to revise for, but Lang not so much.

For each science unit (9 in total) I did about 4-6 hours the day before the exam writing down everything I didn't know in addition to the stuff we did in class.

History was the only one I really revised for in advance, and I wrote about 15 flashcards (super nice and lovely flashcards though) for all the facts I needed for all aspects of the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    I wouldn’t say Science is a hard subject it’s just memorising things especially Biology which takes a lot of memorising to do. I agree it is time consuming and at the moment I am doing B3 and it’s hurting my head because there is so much to learn like the heart and blood.
    I'm doing double and I still struggle lmao
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by goldenusername)
    I'm doing double and I still struggle lmao
    lol double is hard but triple is easier well that is what i think

ReputationRep:
    You should remember that the exam is also for people who don't speak English as a first language, so acing it is definitely achievable for most people.

In honesty I can't remember what I did for it, we did things like analysing texts etc in class and were given a booklet for the different types of writing tasks that may come up but I don't think I revised much at all for it. English Lit you have to revise for, but Lang not so much.

For each science unit (9 in total) I did about 4-6 hours the day before the exam writing down everything I didn't know in addition to the stuff we did in class.

History was the only one I really revised for in advance, and I wrote about 15 flashcards (super nice and lovely flashcards though) for all the facts I needed for all aspects of the course.
    15 flashcards for the whole course?! How? It's huge! I'm still struggling with it, because there's so much content. I can grasp concepts very quickly, but it's hard to memorise so much content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    lol double is hard but triple is easier well that is what i think
    You know for triple science we do the same as double and an extra unit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlexisSanchez2)
    I am doing OCR additional science and my teacher hasn't taught us the 4's (B4,C4,P4) yet even though our exams are coming up soon. I'm predicted A in science but i want to get A*. I also want to achieve A* in all my other subjects (except English, which i hate with passion) and as a result i have been dedicating more time in the other subjects rather than teaching myself the 4's. Do you think i should teach myself all the 4's between these two weeks and get it done with? or Should i wait until school starts when i have a teacher to help me out?

I'm eager to finish off all my notes for every subject and begin doing past papers as soon as possible. Can you give me your honest opinion in what you would if you was confronted with this kind of situation? Any advice would be greatly apprenticed thanks.
    If I was in that situation, I would try and finish off my other subject notes first and start past papers. Then, when going back to school, I would get some tutoring or just lessons from your science teacher. If you have some decent revision on every other subject, then you can dedicate more of your time learning the sciences and really understanding them which will put you in good stead for exams.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.