Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Roryd9)
    Please convince me otherwise: really not sure what to do...

I have an offer to study Econ at LSE, but I'm very close to turning it down for Edinburgh (also Econ).
    This is mainly due to 3 things:
    1) Worried I won't be able to cope with the workload (have never done Economics).
    2) Living costs/ quality of life in London (do I really want 3 years of struggling?).
    3) Family telling me Edinburgh's reputation as an 'Ancient' reputation is much better.

Am I an idiot?
    1) Most people will feel like this, you'll be in the same boat as a lot of others. Clearly, you've been offered a place at LSE because the admissions tutors believe you have what it takes to do well on the course. Don't let the difficulty put you off.

2) This is a real problem, and for some people (me included) is a dealbreaker. I'll be turning down a London uni as well because I can't justify the costs - although, my alternative was of equal standing 'rep' wise.. Have you tried calling up LSE to see what sort of scholarships they have available on offer? Maybe look into the kind of jobs you could get part time?

3) Edinburgh does have the 'ancient' angle going for it, but LSE ultimately is the best for Economics. The brand name is strong, and will be recognised across the globe - so will Edinburgh's, but not to the same extent in finance/econ circles.

You wouldn't be making a 'stupid' decision at all; but I'd urge you to at least consider LSE a tad more. Do some research into costs/scholarships to see if it's a viable option and then whatever decision you come to will be at least a well-informed one. Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll end up somewhere awesome after uni if you put the hard work both into your degree and outside of it. It's a very personal decision at the end of the day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jco19)
    LSE is always the better choice because of the brand recognition. However;

- Teaching at LSE is ****
    - LSE halls are ****
    - It's full of spoiled rich kids who don't have a clue about the real world
    - Staff are self-interested. They have a very candid 'why are you wasting my time' attitude.
    - There is very little social life, but it's easy (actually easier) to make friends elsewhere in London
    - Currently half the campus is torn up for redevelopment
    - Good luck ever finding a library seat unless you wake up at 5 am
    Teaching at LSE in the more quantitative departments is not good at least in first year. That much I admit.
    LSE halls vary: go for the catered halls: passfield is amazing, and roseberry and Carr Saunders are good as well. Sharing a room will save you money (shared room rents are frozen) and you'll get a much bigger room also. I'm paying 100 a week to stay in freaking Bloomsbury which is amazing.
    Social life if you're not in a social hall can be quite bad I've heard: but depends on what you make of it
    Half the campus is torn up for redevelopment. At least u won't be as unlucky as the class of 2018 who have to spend three years of their degree on a construction site

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jco19)

- LSE halls are ****
    - Staff are self-interested. They have a very candid 'why are you wasting my time' attitude.
    - There is very little social life, but it's easy (actually easier) to make friends elsewhere in London
    Thanks for the input. Source?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, congrats on the LSE offer. Edinburgh is pretty good though

Please convince me otherwise: really not sure what to do...

I have an offer to study Econ at LSE, but I'm very close to turning it down for Edinburgh (also Econ).
    This is mainly due to 3 things:
    1) Worried I won't be able to cope with the workload (have never done Economics).
    2) Living costs/ quality of life in London (do I really want 3 years of struggling?).
    3) Family telling me Edinburgh's reputation as an 'Ancient' reputation is much better.

Am I an idiot?
    The fact you are asking to be persuaded otherwise tells me you have already persuaded yourself not to do it. You don't need confirmation from a bunch of strangers. Having said that, do what you know will be best for you. At the end of the day, you are the best judge.

I would choose LSE just because your future would basically be set. After Oxbridge, it's one of the best universities in the country. Your reasons for not wanting to go are not convincing enough and I think you need to be smart and pragmatic rather than follow with your heart or your parents choice. To answer your question: I think anyone who turns down LSE for Edinburgh, in my opinion, is an idiot.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by NeoMarxist)
    I would choose LSE just because your future would basically be set. After Oxbridge, it's one of the best universities in the country. Your reasons for not wanting to go are not convincing enough and I think you need to be smart and pragmatic rather than follow with your heart or your parents choice. To answer your question: I think anyone who turns down LSE for Edinburgh, in my opinion, is an idiot.
    This isn't wholly accurate.. A lot of opportunities are available from LSE but you have to actually be good enough to get them. Likewise, a top notch individual with tonnes of leadership experience/work experience from Edinburgh would outcompete an average LSE student for top jobs. There are no guarantees in life.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Biology, Modern Studies
    wtf is modern studies?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Thomb)
    wtf is modern studies?
    Scottish Advanced Higher/Higher/Nat 5 subject. Basically involves learning about the political/economical issues surrounding modern day countries. Basically a 'current affairs' subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jco19)

- LSE halls are ****
    I agree about the halls - absolutely third rate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Scottish Advanced Higher/Higher/Nat 5 subject. Basically involves learning about the political/economical issues surrounding modern day countries. Basically a 'current affairs' subject.
    Is it respectable? I mean it must be if OP got an from LSE - right?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Yes, it's a great subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Yes, it's a great subject!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds like it does the job I'm into political science but not too hot on maths. Does the course involve a lot of maths do you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Sounds like it does the job I'm into political science but not too hot on maths. Does the course involve a lot of maths do you know?
    Modern Studies is gaining respect, although I was surprised when LSE and UCL made me offers given that some see it is less challenging (not true). It's very interesting.
    Are you asking whether their is a lot of maths in Modern Studies or Economics?
    None in Modern Studies, lots in Econ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AstarAstarA)
    Current LSE student? What are intercollegiate halls like?

ReputationRep:
    Modern Studies is gaining respect, although I was surprised when LSE and UCL made me offers given that some see it is less challenging (not true). It's very interesting.
    Are you asking whether their is a lot of maths in Modern Studies or Economics?
    None in Modern Studies, lots in Econ.
    I was asking about modern studies not economics. What's inside the box?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jco19)
    - LSE halls are ****
    (Original post by AstarAstarA)
    Which halls are you referring to, specifically? Just want to check whether I've dodged a bullet or not for my accommodation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    Which halls are you referring to, specifically? Just want to check whether I've dodged a bullet or not for my accommodation
    Are you going to LSE and have already applied for accommodation? I feel I'm so behind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    It's generally regarded at same level as History or English in Scotland, most people I know who have applied for law, politics, economics etc. have taken Modern Studies.

Current LSE student? What are intercollegiate halls like?
    If you're still deciding on LSE vs Edinburgh, one thing to note is that SAAS doesn't seem to provide a London weighting any more (i.e. give you more money to balance out the costs of living in London).

That being said, I'm a Scottish student and have firmed Imperial College over Edinburgh for medicine as I prefer the course structure, prefer the city, don't mind the costs (actually I do but I'll somehow get through) and if I ever decide I don't want to be a doctor, a degree from Imperial will take me much further than a degree from Edinburgh would.

Think about which one you would rather take up and also succeed in, don't let factors like your parents and money weigh you down since your parents will be happy wherever you go and you'll pay back student loans eventually anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to LSE and have already applied for accommodation? I feel I'm so behind.
    Hopefully (if I can meet the A*AA offer) - and yep, applied about a month ago You can literally apply right now on Hallpad, as it's open to all offer-holders, regardless of whether they've firmed, insured or rejected their offer.

In fact, since you don't need to put down a firm or an insurance until early May, you could take time to apply for accommodation to both unis, see what rooms/halls you get, and then factor their quality and cost of it into your final decision. I think that it's important to mention that there's no rush - you have more than a month to decide between the two.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 21, 2016
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.