Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I currently have offers from Bath, Durham, Warwick and Bristol and am currently deciding which two I should pick.

I am not taking STEP in the summer, which means to get into Warwick I would need A*A*A*, which I am capable of - however my main concern is that not sitting STEP would leave me behind everyone else in terms of mathematical ability.

I was hoping someone would be able to give some advice on the topic as I have no idea which to pick...

(I am sitting the AEA in the summer and after the exams I will probably spend the summer doing STEP questions as well)

Thanks!

If it is possible, do STEP since it gives you an extra fallback exam in case you don't meet the other offers.

But if you don't do STEP, then I would say that it makes very little difference to how you do at degree level maths. STEP bears little to no resemblance to what you learn in a maths degree, and is simply a way for Cambridge to artificially thin down applicants. You do get some 'problem solving' skills from STEP, but I've found that to be in no way helpful in neither proof nor computational modules.

Given that my goal was to get a decent STEP grade with as little work as possible, this was the approach I took. I did next to no preparation for STEP and got my 1 from doing only the applied section and a pure question.

ReputationRep:
    It's not too late to get your school to sign you on to STEP. Warwick take a grade in any STEP paper so do STEP 1. STEP 1 isn't really that challenging and might only be slightly harder than AEA. You have enough time left to prepare well for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerGnu;[url="tel:63698379")
    63698379[/url]]I currently have offers from Bath, Durham, Warwick and Bristol and am currently deciding which two I should pick.

I am not taking STEP in the summer, which means to get into Warwick I would need A*A*A*, which I am capable of - however my main concern is that not sitting STEP would leave me behind everyone else in terms of mathematical ability.

I was hoping someone would be able to give some advice on the topic as I have no idea which to pick...

(I am sitting the AEA in the summer and after the exams I will probably spend the summer doing STEP questions as well)

Thanks!
    Are you doing Futher Maths? If so, you don't need 3A* without STEP. I have insured Warwick and my offer is A*AA without STEP and AAA with grade 2 in any STEP paper (incl Maths & FM).

ReputationRep:
    I found STEP pretty hard, and I found that studying independently for STEP was excellent preparation for studying math at Warwick. Why not start studying it now? I basically did nothing but study for STEP in my final year at sixth form. If you're taking M, FM and physics, just working on STEP is probably sufficient to get A*A*A* (with some last minute cramming for physics).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerGnu)
    I currently have offers from Bath, Durham, Warwick and Bristol and am currently deciding which two I should pick.

Thanks!
    You can apply for Maths & Physics and switch.

ReputationRep:
    There's still time to sign up for STEP, and a 2 in STEP I shouldn't be that difficult to get. Also, from their website it seems that you can get A*A*A and Distinction in AEA instead of A*A*A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jj15)
    Are you doing Futher Maths? If so, you don't need 3A* without STEP. I have insured Warwick and my offer is A*AA without STEP and AAA with grade 2 in any STEP paper (incl Maths & FM).
    I think you've applied for the Maths + Statistics course which has lower entry requirements than just straight Maths. The typical offer for straight Maths at Warwick is A*A*A* or A*A*A + 2 in STEP or A*AA + 1 in STEP.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also going for the A*A*A* offer but I just want to be check something just to be sure. When they say the third A* must be in a non-maths A-level does that mean it can be in French?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GingerGnu)

Thanks!
    You will be ok in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    OK, I'm a final year MMath student at Warwick who is teaching first years this year.

Not doing STEP wont disadvantage you. This isn't a matter of opinion: it's a straight up statistical fact. There is no significant difference between the grades achieved by people getting in via different options.

(Original post by TheBBQ)
    You can apply for Maths & Physics and switch.
    Only if you meet the offer for the maths course (or switch at the end of your first year having done well on the maths parts of the course).

(Original post by target21859)
    I'm also going for the A*A*A* offer but I just want to be check something just to be sure. When they say the third A* must be in a non-maths A-level does that mean it can be in French?
    Yes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.