Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I know I am doing To Kill A Mockingbird, An Inspector Calls and Unseen Poetry for English Literature. However, how do I revise effectively for these? For English language I have downloaded the specimen paper. Suggestions are welcome...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibrahim11)
    Hi, I know I am doing To Kill A Mockingbird, An Inspector Calls and Unseen Poetry for English Literature. However, how do I revise effectively for these? For English language I have downloaded the specimen paper. Suggestions are welcome...
    Read both books before the exam - don't try and read summary notes, they won't work.

Also, go through the book and try and analyse a few quotes and practice quoting a few paragraphs on them - as long as you get the hang of the structure, you'll be fine.

Also, with the unseen poetry, just go online and find some random poems and try and analyse them and write a paragraph on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nomophobia)
    Read both books before the exam - don't try and read summary notes, they won't work.

Also, go through the book and try and analyse a few quotes and practice quoting a few paragraphs on them - as long as you get the hang of the structure, you'll be fine.

Also, with the unseen poetry, just go online and find some random poems and try and analyse them and write a paragraph on them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've got the GCP AQA Unseen Poetry Guide & Questions so I can use that. For TKAMB and An Inspector Calls should I try past papers? Also, I don't understand what the examiner means when the question asks 'How does Priestley present ideas about xxxx' and 'In the novel, how does Lee show xxxx'

Help would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I've got the GCP AQA Unseen Poetry Guide & Questions so I can use that. For TKAMB and An Inspector Calls should I try past papers? Also, I don't understand what the examiner means when the question asks 'How does Priestley present ideas about xxxx' and 'In the novel, how does Lee show xxxx'

Definitely try past papers for the books, they're very helpful.

If it asks something like "How does Lee show attitudes towards race in Maycomb County at the time?" - you'll need to find quotes in the book that show both a negative and positive attitude - maybe the scene where Scout's cousin starts a fight with Scout by calling her dad a n-word lover. You'll have to pick out quotes where you actually have something to write about - there is nothing worse than picking ot a really good quote and not knowing what to write - this is why I recommend reading the book but not actually memorising any quotes.

Also, if it's asking how it's been presented, you'll have to mention language features which is incredibly hard to do but just pick something out like maybe the use of satire (I haven't read The Inspector Calls, sorry)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I haven't read either of your texts (sorry) but if a question is asking how something is presented then you need to decide what ideas come across to you as a reader and what it is that makes you think that these are the views of the author. E.g. is there a particular character that demonstrates the writer's views; are there any symbols in the novel used to represent these ideas; is imagery (similes, metaphors, adjectives, etc.) used?

ReputationRep:
    For the books, i always make a mindmap for all the key characters and themes. I write down some quotations and any key ideas that i need to remember. For unseen poetry, i think it is just practise. I would get used to splitting your analysis into form and structure, language, theme, tone, etc. That way you can't miss anything. Good luck x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 28, 2016
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.