Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pablo Picasso)
    Are you doing AS or A2?
    A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I do not do french A level, but I have done Spanish A level and am doing German A2 this year (AQA both). Hopefully I can help
    So AS is fairly easy: it is mainly a converstion and you should give lots of your opinions, everything you say is fine because is your opinion and the examiner will usually not disagree with you. Remember to give lots of examples and justify everything. Talking a lot and always helps as it shows that you are a confident speaker and you are awarded marks by leading the conversation (for example if you find a nasty topic: I do not go often to festivals because too many people consume alcohol and even illegal drugs, but I love going to the cinema on the weekends with my friends in fact last week I saw... => from music to cinema= leading conversation). If you are a native speeaker you should be fine!
    I think that the only problem would be the essay in AS, the structure is:
    1. introduction on what you will talk
    2. 3 pharagraphs - either 2 for the argument and 1 against or 1 for argument and 2 against it (give lots of examples for each point end explain what they mean)
    3. conclusion - summarise the 3 points you made with different words and give your opinion only now (not before) and say why

ReputationRep:
    Now A2
    The speaking is divided in 2 parts:
    - debate (lasts 5 mins)
    - cultural topics (10 min: 5 for one, 5 for other one)

In the debate you have to present 5 developed points in 1 min (not less and not over 1min 10 sec as some examiners may stop you and you will not get all point) for one of the sides and in the other 4 min you have the debate. Developed points mean that you say why or the consequences e.g.
    "Nuclear Energy" Opinion 1: Nuclear can meet demand
    Opinion 2: Nuclear too risky
    You defend Op2:
    Nuclear is very dangerous because the risk of an accident is always possible and we cannot be 100% sure for example the accident in fukushima nuclear power station.
    We can never be sure if a country will use it for creating Nuclear arms and so starting a nuclear war which would mean the end of our world.
    +3 points (nuclear emmits radiations= dangerous for people who live nearby, terrorist attacks,can use renewable energy etc.)

Remember: Do not agree with the examiner, talking a lot is better than silence, the examiner does not hate you he/she is just a teacher, stopping the examiner or telling asking them personal questions (e.g. what would you do...?), telling them off (I am sorry but by saying that you are very egoistic!- always be formal) really helps to get full marks; if you really cannot find a point to counterargue just introduce another one (Examiner:"Nuclear is the only type of energy that can meet the world demand" You:"Maybe but we must remember that it is very dangerous not only for our health but also..."), learn some fancy and needed vocab(as you do not have much time try to do lots of cards and see what are the words that you need the most)no
    Hope this helped and it is not too confusing

For the cultural topics I can help a little because for spanish I did a film(director) and an event in the 20th century and for german a film and a book.
    Again the more you talk, if the examiner stops you, the better it is will get you full marks as it shows that you know the topics, grammar plays a bigger role in A2 15 marks worth.

For the director/musician:
    know well his story e.g. when he was born, where he grew up, what he studied(maybe why), how he started how successful(prices, why he is famous with film/music) very short biography, they may never ask you about it
    The themes of film/music- so for stromae papaoutai(I looked for a translation of his song I will learn french one day!) you can say that it talks about the fatherhood, family, growing up without a father, messed up family, importance of father, hard to be one etc. if it realates to his personal life even better. You must give opinions, e.g. I think that the best theme is... in my opinion this theme is very important...
    Meanings of title: it can mean this or that, i believe that it can mean....
    What was the aim/main message of the film/music for Stromae papaoutai: how important it is to have a father, but I belive that it wants to show that not only a father but a stable family because one can have a father but if he drinks and beats the kid up, it cannot be called a father; it is hard to be a father as the text says
    the music: rythm maybe

And I do not know in what other ways I can help, i think that with a film is a bit easier :P but you can choose more than one song
    Remember: give your opinion, talk a lot and lead the conversation, if you do not know something, when appropiate, you can say that you did not studied it (e.g. do not say you do not the main themes, as that should be vital), go on
    http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/langu...tent/a2-topics to know the details for the cultural topics.

Next is A2 essay

ReputationRep:
    *forgot to say for speaking: thay usually ask you personal questions e.g. did you like the film, what would you have done in his place?

After A2 speaking it is time for essay!!!!
    You can either choose to write about the musician or dramaperson

So my German teacher told us few tips:
    have 1 hour for essay (in my opinion if you can use more) 15 min max for good planning, 45 min writing
    Introduction- say what work you are talking about (some people forget)
    - describe briefly the work of your choosen artist and then say what you will talk about
    e.g. How well did the artist conveyd the main themes/message/aim in his work(s)?
    Papaoutai is a song written by stromae published in.... It talks about..... The artist main themes are.... He conveyd them through words, music etc.

Many Paragraphs (some people can write 5 pages, that is not me ) in which you apply PEEL
    Point
    Example (many if you can)
    Explain examples
    Link it back to question by saing your opinion e.g. So I think that the musician was very successful in conveying the theme:.... because.... <-- link with opinion very important, it is difference between AS and A2 essay

Conclusion
    in here you summarise, like in as, by using different words or in a different phrase structure
    Give your opinion by answering question e.g. i think that the artist conveyed the themes very well because.... however this theme was not well developed because ... If I was the artist i would have done this differently because....

Good luck! I am not very good with essays and for me music is a bit hard to do. You can still change a topic before the written exam (in the speaking you can keep the ones that you are doing as different examiners mark different exams), giving that you find the drama guy hard.
    Really wish that it helped, although my english got worst towards the end hahhah

ReputationRep:
    speaking is getting checked and sorry for writing so much >//<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zahraxxx)
    Hi, I have my speaking on monday! I was wondering how many times they challenged you during the debate? I'm really nervous about it, could you give me some guidance about what to revise for it? Thank you ☺️
    It really depends on you and the examiner. If you talk a lot they will ask you less questions and will be able to make less points. If the examiner is one that challenges a lot you just have to face it, but the more you speak= less chances for them to speak. Plus there is nothing wrong by saying "excuse me a moment, I have not finished" This will award you more marks.

The examiner is there to help you not to show the negative parts of you, so if you do not understand you can simply say excuse me or sorry what or I did not understan, could you repeat. Also by making face expressions they may be able to tell that you haven't understand and they will explain. So do not be afraid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sharina91)
    *forgot to say for speaking: thay usually ask you personal questions e.g. did you like the film, what would you have done in his place?

After A2 speaking it is time for essay!!!!
    You can either choose to write about the musician or dramaperson

So my German teacher told us few tips:
    have 1 hour for essay (in my opinion if you can use more) 15 min max for good planning, 45 min writing
    Introduction- say what work you are talking about (some people forget)
    - describe briefly the work of your choosen artist and then say what you will talk about
    e.g. How well did the artist conveyd the main themes/message/aim in his work(s)?
    Papaoutai is a song written by stromae published in.... It talks about..... The artist main themes are.... He conveyd them through words, music etc.

Many Paragraphs (some people can write 5 pages, that is not me ) in which you apply PEEL
    Point
    Example (many if you can)
    Explain examples
    Link it back to question by saing your opinion e.g. So I think that the musician was very successful in conveying the theme:.... because.... <-- link with opinion very important, it is difference between AS and A2 essay

Conclusion
    in here you summarise, like in as, by using different words or in a different phrase structure
    Give your opinion by answering question e.g. i think that the artist conveyed the themes very well because.... however this theme was not well developed because ... If I was the artist i would have done this differently because....

Good luck! I am not very good with essays and for me music is a bit hard to do. You can still change a topic before the written exam (in the speaking you can keep the ones that you are doing as different examiners mark different exams), giving that you find the drama guy hard.
    Really wish that it helped, although my english got worst towards the end hahhah
    Wow lifesaver, thank you soooooo much!!! And your English is great don't worry haha!

ReputationRep:
    Giving that the message, where I wrote about the speaking exam, is being checked and it is taking too long I will write another shorter version:
    There are 15 min- 5 for debate, 5 for one cultural topic, 5 for other cultural.

In the debate you have 1min (max 1.10) to talk about 5 developed points (=say why or the consequences of each points)
    (To make your points clearer to the examiner you can say 1st, 2nd etc)
    Afterwards you have the debate and you should never agree with the examiner. If you do not know how to repond a point made by the examiner you can "escape" by saying: " yes that is true but you should consider this as well"

For the cultural topics you can go on the aqa website (I think on the specification page) and there is written what students are supposed to know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zahraxxx)
    Hi, I have my speaking on monday! I was wondering how many times they challenged you during the debate? I'm really nervous about it, could you give me some guidance about what to revise for it? Thank you ☺️
    Hey how did your speaking go today? Hope it went well! x

ReputationRep:
    I am having mine next week (A2), any advices guys?

ReputationRep:
    Bonjour Tout le Monde!

Any predictions for the literature essay questions?

ReputationRep:
    Question about the written papers unit 1 and 3: when you are asked questions to be answered in French in the listening, do you have to say exactly what is said or just the same meaning? Trying to do past papers and not sure if I'm marking it right as I normally write what they have said in a different way and write more than is on the mark scheme. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mopsybunny)
    Question about the written papers unit 1 and 3: when you are asked questions to be aswered in French in the listening, do you have to say exactly what is said or just the same meaning? Trying to do past papers and not sure if I'm marking it right as I normally write what they have said in a different way and write more than is on the mark scheme. Thanks in advance
    Hi, if you look at the mark scheme, the answer is usually identical to what has been given in the audio file of the reading comprehension but I'm pretty sure they still give marks if you don't copy it word for word, as long as it relates to the actual answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mopsybunny)
    Question about the written papers unit 1 and 3: when you are asked questions to be answered in French in the listening, do you have to say exactly what is said or just the same meaning? Trying to do past papers and not sure if I'm marking it right as I normally write what they have said in a different way and write more than is on the mark scheme. Thanks in advance
    Personally I just write exactly what I hear then I'm definitely sure of the marks. As long as you're confident with writing accurately this works really well, but can be a little more time consuming if you're not confident.

ReputationRep:
    Hello. I'm doing AS French. Has anyone got a vocabulary list for this exam on the 6 June?
    PS, I'm thinking about self teaching A2 Spanish next year. Does anyone think I could do this?
    Lots of love,
    stripedbox

ReputationRep:
    for the essay, are people just revising one cultural topic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by learner248)
    for the essay, are people just revising one cultural topic?
    im mainly revising just one but ill probably look over the notes on the other one in case the questions are ridiculously hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j2555)
    im mainly revising just one but ill probably look over the notes on the other one in case the questions are ridiculously hard
    Oh right ok, I'm 99.9% sure I'm gonna do the lit question tbh

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.