Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    did anyone hear about the edexel papers that got stolen?
    but the board still used the same papers on the exam?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think I sat that paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Yeah I think I sat that paper
    what happend then? was there any markings on it to deter cheaters?
    i also heard that ppl that were cheating had been aprehended.
    how would they know?

ReputationRep:
    i think from what i gathered from the newspapers they may well have been the same and that's really lame- i read that A level edexcel papers were being sold for £1000 on the street! glad i'm OCR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hihihihi)
    i think from what i gathered from the newspapers they may well have been the same and that's really lame- i read that A level edexcel papers were being sold for £1000 on the street! glad i'm OCR.
    i heard it in the car out to all hallows and it said that the same set of biology papers that were stolen were used. sounds a bit stupid to me. i'm sure they have back up papers since this happens every year :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    it's sooo annoying though, cos no matter which board it is, it could affect the grade boundaries :mad: how many candidates saw the paper do u think?

and funny that it's edexcel.....AGAIN......my maths paper at gcse was leaked as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priya)
    it's sooo annoying though, cos no matter which board it is, it could affect the grade boundaries :mad: how many candidates saw the paper do u think?
    explain (dumbass)

ReputationRep:
    well UMS is used by every single exam board, therefore all the marks from each board are scaled up and standardised across each board- OCR's paper might have been easier than AQA's, which would mean that it would be easier to get an A on OCR. standardisation therefore allows the grades everyone gets to be fair across all the boards

therefore if people cheated, grade boundaries would go up, and exam boards would have to fiddle with the marks slightly, because they wouldn't know who saw the paper. might not make a HUGE amount of difference, but then 1 or 2 UMS marks can mean a lot

ReputationRep:
    It was da edexcel synoptic paper for bio (i sat it)!!
    dey said dey gonna catch out ppl by comparing it with their other unit paperz n if deyve done exceptionally well on da paperz dat were stolen, den der gonna investigate that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnGeLeYeS)
    It was da edexcel synoptic paper for bio (i sat it)!!
    dey said dey gonna catch out ppl by comparing it with their other unit paperz n if deyve done exceptionally well on da paperz dat were stolen, den der gonna investigate that
    investigate ?

edexcel: did you cheat?
    cheater: no
    edexcel: ok

ReputationRep:
    I sat this paper too.. I thought I did particularly bad in Unit 4 and Unit 5 and this was relatively easy for me (nice essay question about production and transport of metabolic wastes, wooo).. I think its a disgrace that the grade boundaries could be affected by even one mark (mainly as there are only 38 marks in the first place and the boundaries for A/B/C etc are only a few marks apart)

Secondly, on BBC News it was reported that this particular Bio paper went missing ELEVEN days before the exam - how can that not be enough time to set 3 questions (which is all there was) on a synoptic paper?!

ReputationRep:
    oh, and one other thing:

Earlier, Edexcel's chief spokesman, Frank Wingate, said: "As far as we can see from the confirmed evidence it is a localised matter.

"We don't think it's going to affect the overall integrity of exams or the grades that will be given."

Do EdExcel not know how quickly a paper can be scanned in and emailed to whoever so desires it? In eleven days it could have been circulated around the United Kingdom!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial_baby)
    lol dats a well good point actually...the people can make an alibi etc etc and if their fingerprints are on da door..well it's their school isn't it? so they may have gone to the storage room during the day...personally i'm too drained to even begin to worry about it..the paper is like 6% of our a level ...it means jack to me

No you've missed the point - the cheaters aren't the people who stole the paper, they're the people who paid money to see the papers beforehand. However it is slightly unfair, as people who saw the paper unknowingly (such as the M2 paper on this very website) might be peanalised for an act which they did not intentionally commit.

Ultimately however, EdExcel will never be able to prove people saw these papers prior, unless they're stupid enough to still actually have them, so nothing will ever stand up in court, should it come to that.

ReputationRep:
    so why is it we haven't heard about the investigation. this is rubbish. its just if the papers go missing and they are investigating surely it doesn't take this long and secondly if they haven't found who the cheaters were they they should propose openly to all the candidates the mode of action they have taken to deal with this particular case. PETTTTTy.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.