Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    I'm just looking at the UCL's preferred subjects list and they mention Film Studies at A Level but not Media but surely Media is slightly better as it involves a whole range of skills and knowledge? I'm shocked that it is a preferred subject. Someone enlighten me on the differences.

ReputationRep:
    Film studies is more academic than media studies. Film is concerned with literary criticism whereas media is concerned with black people winning Oscars. Media is a lot softer.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    Film studies is more academic than media studies. Film is concerned with literary criticism whereas media is concerned with black people winning Oscars. Media is a lot softer.
    Ah right, makes sense. Might go look it up, tried to before but it came up with an MA at UCL as they do an MA programme in FS. Do a lot of schools offer this at A Level? Kinda wish my school did now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Ah right, makes sense. Might go look it up, tried to before but it came up with an MA at UCL as they do an MA programme in FS. Do a lot of schools offer this at A Level? Kinda wish my school did now.
    I've only heard people who do IB studying FS. Can't say I've heard of many people doing it as an A-Level.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    I've only heard people who do IB studying FS. Can't say I've heard of many people doing it as an A-Level.
    I think a sixth form, near where I live offers the subject but I'm not too sure. For those doing the IB studying FS, are the degrees in FS more tailored to international students? I reckon the MA at UCL in FS is perhaps students who have completed a BA or an English/humanities degree and want to try a different field?

ReputationRep:
    Film is more focussed and academic, compliments English Lit nicely too. Don't expect you'll go into the A Level to watch films and piss about like in Media, there are a fair few essays and practicals.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Film is more focussed and academic, compliments English Lit nicely too. Don't expect you'll go into the A Level to watch films and piss about like in Media, there are a fair few essays and practicals.
    I regret choosing Media because honestly it's too easy, but my school had awful subjects anyways. As I'm doing English Literature and English Language, FS would have been perfect to study as I enjoy analysing and critical application.

ReputationRep:
    I regret choosing Media because honestly it's too easy, but my school had awful subjects anyways. As I'm doing English Literature and English Language, FS would have been perfect to study as I enjoy analysing and critical application.
    Ahh man, that's a shame, with both English subjects you'd have really enjoyed Film too. I did Film and Lit, I found it really helped and the others doing Lit on the course did better in courseworks than those going for FS only. One of our courseworks was to write a review critiquing micro and macro aspects, interesting stuff.

What is Media like, is it as *****y a subject as it gets a rep for, or...?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    Ahh man, that's a shame, with both English subjects you'd have really enjoyed Film too. I did Film and Lit, I found it really helped and the others doing Lit on the course did better in courseworks than those going for FS only. One of our courseworks was to write a review critiquing micro and macro aspects, interesting stuff.

What is Media like, is it as *****y a subject as it gets a rep for, or...?
    Oh wow that's interesting, I guess it really does compliment Literature perfectly and yeah it is a shame. Media is certainly a subject which has its reputation thrown about. I took it at GCSE because it fascinated me and I also did a BTEC in it too and got great grades. My school, for A Level options only did an OCR Cambridge Technical in Media and not the A Level Media as they did the previous year which would have been slightly more academic. Media is only easy for me because I enjoy creating film posters and analysing different aspects of the industry such as film, game and social media. It's a relevant subject and a lot of people go into it thinking it is about watching films - we never do that! It's about creativity and being able to know and understand the media industry. I must say, doing Media has allowed me to understand how games are made and the process behind a film. A lot of people on my course haven't got a C in GCSE English and even my teachers say that really, to study Media they need a C and beyond.

ReputationRep:
    Both are shockingly soft.

ReputationRep:
    My best mate studied film studies at 6th form. Media was offered too, but he didn't bother with that. Fast forward a few years, and he now has a degree from Toronto Film School, a second degree in Film and Media from one of the London universities and he is working at a production company in Norwich.

It all depends what route you want to go down relating to film. Working in the industry would probably be a better fit for media studies. It's more practically based. Working in journalism or a related field would probably require you to edge toward film studies.

When I was at 6th, I originally took film studies but dropped it after a few weeks because I assumed it was a doss subject. Looking back on how far he has come with it, I have completed changed my opinion.

Focus on what you want to get out of it, and make a decision based on that goal.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Scott M Harvey)
    My best mate studied film studies at 6th form. Media was offered too, but he didn't bother with that. Fast forward a few years, and he now has a degree from Toronto Film School, a second degree in Film and Media from one of the London universities and he is working at a production company in Norwich.

It all depends what route you want to go down relating to film. Working in the industry would probably be a better fit for media studies. It's more practically based. Working in journalism or a related field would probably require you to edge toward film studies.

When I was at 6th, I originally took film studies but dropped it after a few weeks because I assumed it was a doss subject. Looking back on how far he has come with it, I have completed changed my opinion.

Focus on what you want to get out of it, and make a decision based on that goal.

Wow your friend done really good. I suppose I can't really regret media but I will work hard to get where I want to be. I plan to study in London to get my foot in the door of agents and production companies.

ReputationRep:
    Wow your friend done really good. I suppose I can't really regret media but I will work hard to get where I want to be. I plan to study in London to get my foot in the door of agents and production companies.
    Without getting too deep into the topic, the key to getting anywhere in film or media is experience. Which is freely available because production companies are always desperate for runners/production assistants.

It's a get your foot in the door type of job, generally speaking. It isn't so common to get your degree and immediately qualify for a top notch post within the company. Some may pay you for it, but volunteering guarantees you the opportunities.

Without contacts, it is difficult. He has done really well for himself, but when he finished in Canada and moved back to the UK, he was at point blank again. He was doing agency work for a while. I happened to go to a video marketing seminar (I'm a BioMed undergrad), where I chatted to the lecturer afterwards and he got in touch with his contacts on my friends behalf.

I've heard too many people complain that it isn't an area where you can make something of yourself. But it is. It's just like anything else, though. If you want to do well, you have to put the work in initially before you can reap any kind of reward.

Good luck with your studies!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE It isn't so common to get your degree and immediately qualify for a top notch post within the company.
    [/QUOTE]

Loved that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.