Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a third year Automotive Design student at Coventry University and I have secured a placement at Dickie Toys in Hong Kong. It's a paid placement for 5 months, lasting from mid-May till mid-September and I could really do with some help understanding the lifestyle, likely accommodation and everything else associated with living and working in Hong Kong.

I will be paid 7500 Hong Kong dollars per month, I may get some funding from the university but I'm unsure as to how much that will be.

I would like to know has anyone else on here been on an internship or have you lived in Hong Kong on something like the limited budget I have?

What did you do concerning accommodation? Any recommended estate agents or advice as to the type of housing you lived in.

So far I haven't been able to find anything suitable, most adverts are out of date, unreachable, lack detail or generally look untrustworthy. For example a lot of them are just pictures of singles beds in a room. Some mention shared kitchens, a lot don't. Also when it comes to kitchens, what did you do? Most do not have ovens and the like, only small plug in convection hobs, and as a painfully British person sometimes I think I would struggle with just that!

What is the culture like concerning food? Like I've said I've noticed that in the cheapest housing, there does seem to be zero cooking facilities, is that because it's cheap to eat out?

Also, is it easier to live close by and in the city (the location of my placement is in Victoria Harbour) or further out and commute in? and by easier I mean is it cheaper/higher standard of living.

I could probably think of a million more questions, but my main worries at the moment concern accommodation and the lifestyle. If anyone has any advice that would really help, any useful links or websites would be great.

I'm a new member as you can see so I'm sorry if I have posted in the wrong sub-forum etc, but anyway, thanks for reading!

ReputationRep:
    Hi I would recommend you to get a pressure cooker so you can make all sorts of food for yourself from stew to soup. It's also the healthiest and cheapest option, food around Hong Kong is high in fat, oil, salt especially MSG but you're correct it is super cheap to eat out in Hong Kong! And the food is amazing!!!!!!!!!! Hygiene wise, places are quite dirty, unless your staying in high standard place or hotel, the rest of Hong Kong isn't the cleanest... also shopping centres are always very clean and if your not into high brands, clothes, electronics, etc are cheap! Living in Hong Kong, it's very packed, especially in the mornings and at 4-6pm when everyone gets out of work, the MTR (underground train) gets EXTREMLY packed. Transport is great you can pick up taxis at appropriate places, get mini buses, buses, there's trams in some parts of HK and MTR. Just make sure you apply for a card at any station and you put money in at any 7-Eleven stores. This will save you money too! Taxi can be quite expensive if you get it regularly, I'd get the mini bus/bus/MTR or walk. I don't have an intership or anything in HK but I go there every year so I hope this helps a little! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by huntj11)
    What is the culture like concerning food? Like I've said I've noticed that in the cheapest housing, there does seem to be zero cooking facilities, is that because it's cheap to eat out?

Also, is it easier to live close by and in the city (the location of my placement is in Victoria Harbour) or further out and commute in? and by easier I mean is it cheaper/higher standard of living.

I could probably think of a million more questions, but my main worries at the moment concern accommodation and the lifestyle. If anyone has any advice that would really help, any useful links or websites would be great.

I'm a new member as you can see so I'm sorry if I have posted in the wrong sub-forum etc, but anyway, thanks for reading!
    Cheap to eat out. If you don't want expensive food, it's probably 50HKD tops for lunch and the same for dinner at a canteen. Breakfast can be picked up on the go. Le Pain Quotidien opened up a place recently in Wan Chai, and there are a few Eric Kayser places around. Most people eat out in HK because of a small kitchen (space is a premium and not everyone can afford a large kitchen). Your flat might not come with a dryer either, so think about a place with an iron and ironing board.

Living in the city proper will be more expensive, but more convenient when it comes to food options. Higher standard of living too. Depending on where exactly you are located for work (Victoria Harbour is a big description of most of HK) there can be cheaper options. Transit is cheap here, and is extremely convenient, much like the Underground in London. There are options with cheaper rent further out, but there is no guarantee on being able to find a place with roommates. I have friends who live in Chai Wan/Tseung Kwan O. Rent there is decent.

Lifestyle wise, you can have it all. You can live in the suburb and commute to work, or have the big city lifestyle. If you want to go out, the main areas are in Central or Wan Chai (a little seedier). Most of the expats can be found in either place. Food wise, besides the cheap local options, there are a ton of places opened by celebrity chefs. Jamie Oliver had a place opened last year, and Gordon Ramsay has a restaurant opening soon (or has opened already). As for food types, there's a lot. Burmese, Nepalese, Thai, Japanese, Italian, French...You name it, there's probably a restaurant somewhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.