Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

has anybody done history as a gcse or doing it ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek567)
    what do you mean?
    i think its Britain 1931-51 unit 3b Edexcel
    If u are doing the same course as me, then there are 2 papers, paper 1 and paper 2, is the britain 1931-51 in the first or the second paper??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justbeu)
    If u are doing the same course as me, then there are 2 papers, paper 1 and paper 2, is the britain 1931-51 in the first or the second paper??
    i think it is paper 2 because in paper 1 there is not britain 1931-51

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geek567)
    i think it is paper 2 because in paper 1 there is not britain 1931-51
    Umm ok. For paper two, it is mainly source based, which makes it a lot easier in a way, altho i seem to remember that it does have longer mark questions... What you need to do is make sure you refer to the source at least once, preferably twice in the longer mark questions. Have you ever been taught the PEE structure?? It also helps for english essays... It stands for Point, Evidence and Explain. What you do is make a point, give evidence either from the source or memory and explain it. So for example, say you are given a source about the prohibition and the facts that there were not enough agents to enforce it, and the question was why didnt the prohibition work? You could say that the prohibition did not work because the government did not provide enough prohibition agents, and they were easily corrrupted, as seen in the source, which meant that people were not prevented from drinking and trading alcohol as there was no one to stop them... It is mainly about stating the obvious and giving reasons☺ and then you would have to give another reason. Oh yes, and linking is quite important too, make sure you do it between paragraphs and again in your conclusion on the longer mark questions... Hope this helps☺
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    all i do is, rewrite the whole course, but more simplified. and read it over and over. what helps when you read is read it as a story. :-) history should be taught in chronological order so if you lay it out as a story where one event is the consequence of another, it'll work out easier.

then read some of the questions in past paper and in your mind try and implement the info you learnt into it, so you have a good idea if you're able to pick and choose correct details for specific questions and you know ur on the right track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    all i do is, rewrite the whole course, but more simplified. and read it over and over. what helps when you read is read it as a story. :-) history should be taught in chronological order so if you lay it out as a story where one event is the consequence of another, it'll work out easier.

then read some of the questions in past paper and in your mind try and implement the info you learnt into it, so you have a good idea if you're able to pick and choose correct details for specific questions and you know ur on the right track.
    hey, do you do AQA? and have you finished revising all the content
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by shilshark)
    hey, do you do AQA? and have you finished revising all the content
    no im with WJEC, doing Hitlers germany and britain depression war recovery, if those matches some of what u are doing then i have the sources for notes, im nearly done, i got one little bit with hitler germany and im ready to revise everything :-)

ReputationRep:
    no im with WJEC, doing Hitlers germany and britain depression war recovery, if those matches some of what u are doing then i have the sources for notes, im nearly done, i got one little bit with hitler germany and im ready to revise everything :-)
    im doing medicine and germany but im still struggling to get through medicine, im only half way through

do you have any advice to quickly and efficiently get through the course??
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by shilshark)
    hey im also doing history, do you have any advise on how you can make simpler notes? because its quite hard to condense pure facts
    When people say condense for history it doesn't mean you can get the whole course on two sides anyways. Here's my brit depression war recovery notes I've made. Depression is one booklet of 10 pages. War is the same and so is recovery. Altogether 30 pages. There's a lot of events in one course and if you can separate them and categorise them it'll be easier to pick out when you need to

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

Just make sure your essays are not stories!

One of my essays in Y8 was "beautifully written" and sounded like a script from a documentary detailing what happened. Yet there was no analysis or focus on the question

When writing essays, pretend you're a lawyer and you're arguing a case. This works pretty nicely with the NG unit. Especially on questions like "Was the Reichstag Fire a Nazi conspiracy?". That frame of mind really helps me for A-level essays!

Also use long words and phrases. I remember I was saying pretentious sh*t like "the collapse of the establishment heralded x, y and z" in my real GCSE exams. No wonder I got 20/20 on one of the essays!

ReputationRep:
    When people say condense for history it doesn't mean you can get the whole course on two sides anyways. Here's my brit depression war recovery notes I've made. Depression is one booklet of 10 pages. War is the same and so is recovery. Altogether 30 pages. There's a lot of events in one course and if you can separate them and categorise them it'll be easier to pick out when you need to

Posted from TSR Mobile
    cheers!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jamestg)
    Just make sure your essays are not stories!

One of my essays in Y8 was "beautifully written" and sounded like a script from a documentary detailing what happened. Yet there was no analysis or focus on the question

When writing essays, pretend you're a lawyer and you're arguing a case. This works pretty nicely with the NG unit. Especially on questions like "Was the Reichstag Fire a Nazi conspiracy?". That frame of mind really helps me for A-level essays!

Also use long words and phrases. I remember I was saying pretentious sh*t like "the collapse of the establishment heralded x, y and z" in my real GCSE exams. No wonder I got 20/20 on one of the essays!
    i havent seen it as a lawyer thing before, will defo have that mind set now ;-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.