Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are girls intimidated by their slim friends? Watch

Anon as my friends use this site. Four of my friends all live near each other and a new gym has opened nearby so they have joined it. They decided it would be good to go together when possible or at least with one other, to motivate each other. However, I've noticed that three of them seem to avoiding going with one of my friends in this group. They are not being *****y or anything, but whenever she tries to arrange going with any of them they seem to make excuses, saying that they will probably be too busy but will try and make it (but never end up going with her). This friend has a very good figure. She is very slim (completely flat stomach), toned and curvy and wears tight gym clothes which show off her figure. The other girls are not fat at all, but are not in as good shape. My question is, are they all intimidated by her? Are they worried that walking around with a slim girl will make them look worse? My friend is not physically much fitter than the others so they can't be worried about looking unfit while they are working out with her. So girls, do you ever feel self conscious around certain female friends because of their appearance? Are you more likely to feel like this in certain places (e.g. gym), than others?

Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon as my friends use this site. Four of my friends all live near each other and a new gym has opened nearby so they have joined it. They decided it would be good to go together when possible or at least with one other, to motivate each other. However, I've noticed that three of them seem to avoiding going with one of my friends in this group. They are not being *****y or anything, but whenever she tries to arrange going with any of them they seem to make excuses, saying that they will probably be too busy but will try and make it (but never end up going with her). This friend has a very good figure. She is very slim (completely flat stomach), toned and curvy and wears tight gym clothes which show off her figure. The other girls are not fat at all, but are not in as good shape. My question is, are they all intimidated by her? Are they worried that walking around with a slim girl will make them look worse? My friend is not physically much fitter than the others so they can't be worried about looking unfit while they are working out with her. So girls, do you ever feel self conscious around certain female friends because of their appearance? Are you more likely to feel like this in certain places (e.g. gym), than others?
    Yes. Knowing the girl beside you has all the appealing facial/bodily features you crave can be really damaging to an individuals perception of beauty and therefore result in them avoiding a particular person. Constantly being reminded of things that you don't have (and probably will never) is not a nice feeling. I wouldn't say I envy my slimmer friends but I do sometimes look at them and think things like "what if I was taller", "what if I was shorter", "what if I had a slimmer face", "what if I was less giggly", "what if I had better teeth", "what if I had toned legs" etc. Idk, from my experience I'd say it's not really about what my friends look like that's intimidating but the way I've chosen to define beauty which is what really scares me and most girls.
    I don't think it's just girls that think this way though, I've known boys that feel the same way too
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In my opinion anyways :dontknow:

I'm a size 6 with a toned body and tiny waist but I've never had a boyfriend. All my overweight friends are coupled up on the other hand. My point is people find different things attractive. I get body shamed all the time and I feel so ugly. I will never have a curvy body though it's not in my frame/genes so I work out to get a fit one instead. I'm sure true friends wouldn't care about going to the gym with another friend no matter what the size and figure.

I'm a size 6 with a toned body and tiny waist but I've never had a boyfriend. All my overweight friends are coupled up on the other hand. My point is people find different things attractive. I get body shamed all the time and I feel so ugly. I will never have a curvy body though it's not in my frame/genes so I work out to get a fit one instead. I'm sure true friends wouldn't care about going to the gym with another friend no matter what the size and figure.
    The reason they're coupled up and you're single is not because 'people find different things attractive'. It's most likely because people feel more comfortable being in relationships with people that are not much better looking than them. I'm not saying your friends boyfriends aren't attracted to them, but lets face it, having a girlfriend with a 'toned body and tiny waist' is intimidating for some guys.

(Original post by QuibblerWaffle)
    Yes. Knowing the girl beside you has all the appealing facial/bodily features you crave can be really damaging to an individuals perception of beauty and therefore result in them avoiding a particular person. Constantly being reminded of things that you don't have (and probably will never) is not a nice feeling. I wouldn't say I envy my slimmer friends but I do sometimes look at them and think things like "what if I was taller", "what if I was shorter", "what if I had a slimmer face", "what if I was less giggly", "what if I had better teeth", "what if I had toned legs" etc. Idk, from my experience I'd say it's not really about what my friends look like that's intimidating but the way I've chosen to define beauty which is what really scares me and most girls.
    I don't think it's just girls that think this way though, I've known boys that feel the same way too
    Spoiler:
    Show
    In my opinion anyways :dontknow:
    That was interesting to read. Do you find that in certain situations/places you feel insecure than others? For example, would you feel more intimidated going to a gym or night out with a slim friend that you would going to say, a museum?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.