Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Follow this link, it should take you to the new page http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodati...ate/residences

ReputationRep:
    hi, could anyone tell me on the pros and cons of hawthorns vs manor hall? I like them both but with the new system, i can onlly choose one.Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    the new system's making it really hard to choose
    Do people in the clifton halls tend to go to the pub/jcr more for nights out instead of clubs, or are they still clubby halls?

Also if anyone has any advice to help me pick between goldney, manor hall and clifton hill then it would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nvbb)
    the new system's making it really hard to choose
    Do people in the clifton halls tend to go to the pub/jcr more for nights out instead of clubs, or are they still clubby halls?

Also if anyone has any advice to help me pick between goldney, manor hall and clifton hill then it would be much appreciated!
    also does anyone know what food's like at clifton hill (and how many meals a day)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amu3)
    hi, could anyone tell me on the pros and cons of hawthorns vs manor hall? I like them both but with the new system, i can onlly choose one.Thanks!
    From what I've gathered (which is quite a bit recently haha), Hawthorns is popular with couples and post grads, which may impact upon its social life in comparison to Manor Hall which is known to be very friendly and social. In addition, Manor Hall is larger than Hawthorns, so this may contribute more to its social life also.
    in terms of location you can't beat hawthorns because it's essentially on the university campus, however Manor Hall is hardly far from the campus so location isn't a downfall for either.
    It all depends on what you want from your accommodation - personally I would choose Manor Hall, however if you're more of the quiet type maybe Hawthorns is better for you. Can't say I know anything about room sizes/arrangements/catering options sorry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nvbb)
    also does anyone know what food's like at clifton hill (and how many meals a day)?
    Hiya, on the open day at CHH they said weekdays it's breakfast and lunch and weekends it's just brunch. The sample menus they had out looked really nice, just you're standard British home cooking (pasta, pies, currys, cottage pies etc.) and a fry up at weekends as well as fruit, yogurt etc. I remember being impressed that they even had a goats cheese tart one night??? Although I don't know if this was just to lure us in on the open day! I would say that the food wasn't particularly good if you're a vegetarian or wanting to live particularly on the healthy side but looked pretty 'normal'.
    Hope that helps 😊😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellepop)
    Hiya, on the open day at CHH they said weekdays it's breakfast and lunch and weekends it's just brunch. The sample menus they had out looked really nice, just you're standard British home cooking (pasta, pies, currys, cottage pies etc.) and a fry up at weekends as well as fruit, yogurt etc. I remember being impressed that they even had a goats cheese tart one night??? Although I don't know if this was just to lure us in on the open day! I would say that the food wasn't particularly good if you're a vegetarian or wanting to live particularly on the healthy side but looked pretty 'normal'.
    Hope that helps 😊😊
    thanks it does although I dunno what you'd do for dinner other than have to go out and get it every night/get takeaway as there are no kitchens...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nvbb)
    thanks it does although I dunno what you'd do for dinner other than have to go out and get it every night/get takeaway as there are no kitchens...
    There is kitchens 😊, although they are shared by a larger group of people there's fridges and ovens etc to prepare lunches and meals at weekends 😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellepop)
    There is kitchens 😊, although they are shared by a larger group of people there's fridges and ovens etc to prepare lunches and meals at weekends 😊
    ohhh I had no idea, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankyboy1)
    From what I've gathered (which is quite a bit recently haha), Hawthorns is popular with couples and post grads, which may impact upon its social life in comparison to Manor Hall which is known to be very friendly and social. In addition, Manor Hall is larger than Hawthorns, so this may contribute more to its social life also.
    in terms of location you can't beat hawthorns because it's essentially on the university campus, however Manor Hall is hardly far from the campus so location isn't a downfall for either.
    It all depends on what you want from your accommodation - personally I would choose Manor Hall, however if you're more of the quiet type maybe Hawthorns is better for you. Can't say I know anything about room sizes/arrangements/catering options sorry!
    Thank you! I don't want anything too loud not too quiet either (if that makes sense). I think what I loved about hawthorns was the distance and the pretty rooms. But what you say about manor hall is true. Might go with that instead! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    HI! I have just firmed Bristol and was wondering if anyone has experience in Bristol's Halls of residence? When looking at the available accommodation I couldn't decide between The Hawthorns and Goldney Hall?
    Out of interest, my second choice is Durdham Hall and third is Waverley House.

ReputationRep:
    Which do you think is the most lively?

ReputationRep:
    social aspects of hiatt baker self catered? is the social life good? im thinking of putting it as my first choice, with new bridewell as my second and waverley as my third. also just wondering if you get a choice between a flat or townhouse in hiatt baker as id rather have en suite?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys anyone know anything about Orchard heights, like the social aspects or anything..?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I deferred my place so will be starting Bristol in September 2017- I'm not sure where to apply for accommodation...I'll be studying engineering and was thinking about Stoke Bishop. I think I'm going to apply for Hiatt Baker self catered and maybe Churchill as my second. Any thoughts on this/ recommendations? Does being a deferred applicant have any influence on likelihood of getting my first preference since i already have my grades and everything?

Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.