Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm 27, female. I have never really been in a long term relationship, never been in love and I'm fairly inexperienced. I consider myself to be attractive and I have a good head on shoulders etc.

I am fairly happy with my life. I have a great family and a good circle of friends. There is just a missing piece of the puzzle. I spent the most part of last year getting over my ex and I am finally over it. I have been on dates that haven't lead anywhere, I've signed up for all kinds of dating sites and I haven't had much luck. I am not giving up on dating - I just feel lonely all the time. I can't seem to see the light, the guys I've spoken to have been incompatible with me.

I could be in a room full of people I enjoy spending time with and I will feel like I'm all by myself. I don't know how to run away from feeling like this. Nothing seems to help it disappear. I've had an awesome weekend with my family and at the back of my mind I've been pining for a relationship. It happens all day everyday

ReputationRep:
    Slide in those DMs.

Spoiler:
    Show
    You're probably looking too hard and becoming pre-occupied with it. Let things fall where they may.

I feel exactly the same. All I can do is grit my teeth and hope it get's better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 27, female. I have never really been in a long term relationship, never been in love and I'm fairly inexperienced. I consider myself to be attractive and I have a good head on shoulders etc.

I am fairly happy with my life. I have a great family and a good circle of friends. There is just a missing piece of the puzzle. I spent the most part of last year getting over my ex and I am finally over it. I have been on dates that haven't lead anywhere, I've signed up for all kinds of dating sites and I haven't had much luck. I am not giving up on dating - I just feel lonely all the time. I can't seem to see the light, the guys I've spoken to have been incompatible with me.

I could be in a room full of people I enjoy spending time with and I will feel like I'm all by myself. I don't know how to run away from feeling like this. Nothing seems to help it disappear. I've had an awesome weekend with my family and at the back of my mind I've been pining for a relationship. It happens all day everyday
    preoccupy yourself with a project or something that you enjoy then that should take your mind of things

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried The Loneliness Cure? Sometimes I think part of the struggle is learning to be happy with what you already have or to at least work on building that connection with other people. Being lonely sucks. :-(

(Original post by BristolFresher15)
    Slide in those DMs.

Spoiler:
    Show
    You're probably looking too hard and becoming pre-occupied with it. Let things fall where they may.
    I just feel like I'm at that age where it's hard to stop feeling like this. Especially when lots of my friends are loved up, getting married or expecting babies. I just want someone to sit on the sofa to watch friends with me whilst eating mini cheddars.

I feel exactly the same. All I can do is grit my teeth and hope it get's better.
    *sighs* it will, no way it can get any worse than this.

(Original post by thefatone)
    preoccupy yourself with a project or something that you enjoy then that should take your mind of things
    I've been doing this for years then lonely comes k knocking at my door.

(Original post by Georg Hegel)
    Have you tried The Loneliness Cure? Sometimes I think part of the struggle is learning to be happy with what you already have or to at least work on building that connection with other people. Being lonely sucks. :-(
    Thanks self help books are not my thing. I've read so many in my life and I don't think they've helped plus I've read the reviews on the book you recommended and it doesn't sound too great. I'm happy with what I have, I'm grateful for all the amazing people in my life. But nothing compares to someone you can connect with on another level.

ReputationRep:
    I've been doing this for years then lonely comes k knocking at my door.
    hmmm don't really have a solution, tbh i'm gonna be lonely for the rest of my life xD

[QUOTE=Anonymous;63725081]I just feel like I'm at that age where it's hard to stop feeling like this. Especially when lots of my friends are loved up, getting married or expecting babies. I just want someone to sit on the sofa to watch friends with me whilst eating mini cheddars.

Yeah. I don't need a relationship or to do specific things. I just want company.

ReputationRep:
    Once you become 30, man are out of your hand. Go out there and stop wasting time

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by AsandaLFC)
    Once you become 30, man are out of your hand. Go out there and stop wasting time

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I like this. Straight to the point.

ReputationRep:
    I like this. Straight to the point.
    +1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AsandaLFC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dont be ridiculous.

OP, loneliness is natural, human beings are social, we are drawn to relationships. Im single and quite happy most the time but yep sometimes i do get lonely.

But constant loneliness is a worry. Its showing that your not fulfilled in life. So fill that void, get a hobby, go out, find like minded people. Do something. Dont put so much effort into dating. Just see how it goes and one day you will find someone

ReputationRep:
    I understand you, OP. Wish I had more to say other than that you're not alone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 5, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.