Imagining A Level Results Day 2016 watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by ImagineCats)
    All Bs? jfc how highs the offer for English? On connect it says people are getting offers with Bs and Cs and Ds at AS!

They won'texactly kick me out- but I'll have to resit the year. I'd prefer to just re-sit the AS biology whilst doing A2 german/geography, and stay behind an extra year after year 13 to complete biology so I'm not missing out on my year group They're all b!tches but ygm

I live in London atm and had lab experience in QMUL and King's, so I've seen the campuses. Any questions about London or those unis then don't be shy my friend
    Kings is my dream! Oh my God how was it? And what is the minimum grade entry requirements for UEA? And I'm a year behind, I should be in year 13 but I'm in year 12 and I hate my sixth form because it's so cliquey. Never get invited to parties or can't ever seem to fit in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhythmical)
    Kings is my dream! Oh my God how was it? And what is the minimum grade entry requirements for UEA? And I'm a year behind, I should be in year 13 but I'm in year 12 and I hate my sixth form because it's so cliquey. Never get invited to parties or can't ever seem to fit in.
    Story. Of. My. Life. I'll sit with a group at break/lunch and it feels like nobody can see me. I just need to get out of here

UEA is usually around ABB-AAB, geography is ABB so maybe its the name??

Kings (I was by the hospital near Denmark hill but I know there's accom not just for med students) seemed really pretty. A bus ride from central or a walk maybe, but good links ofc. I've been to some public buildings around Guys/St. Thomas' and that was the humanities lecture theatres and it was so god damn beautiful. The architecture was insane, and I adore the studious look on most the students (sounds silly but I've looked around Reading and can notice a big difference)

If I wasn't living in London I'd deffo check it out.

If you're looking for a campus uni where everythings in one and literally a 15 min walk from central, please check out QMUL. I have a friend there whos doing English and adores it, so I can get you in touch with her if you want. She got A*AB at A level and AABB at AS
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Story. Of. My. Life. I'll sit with a group at break/lunch and it feels like nobody can see me. I just need to get out of here

UEA is usually around ABB-AAB, geography is ABB so maybe its the name??

Kings (I was by the hospital near Denmark hill but I know there's accom not just for med students) seemed really pretty. A bus ride from central or a walk maybe, but good links ofc. I've been to some public buildings around Guys/St. Thomas' and that was the humanities lecture theatres and it was so god damn beautiful. The architecture was insane, and I adore the studious look on most the students (sounds silly but I've looked around Reading and can notice a big difference)

If I wasn't living in London I'd deffo check it out.

If you're looking for a campus uni where everythings in one and literally a 15 min walk from central, please check out QMUL. I have a friend there whos doing English and adores it, so I can get you in touch with her if you want. She got A*AB at A level and AABB at AS

I have been thinking about QMUL but it's just so hard to choose. I can't wait till sixth form is over because I've realised who my true friends are and who are the ones that are so fake. I'm hoping university is different and I'm with mature people. What are your predictions? I'm ideally leaving sixth form with one A* and maybe A/B grades.

ReputationRep:
    I have been thinking about QMUL but it's just so hard to choose. I can't wait till sixth form is over because I've realised who my true friends are and who are the ones that are so fake. I'm hoping university is different and I'm with mature people. What are your predictions? I'm ideally leaving sixth form with one A* and maybe A/B grades.
    So we have benchmarks and current grades- my benchmarks are all As and my current grades are BCU. Apparently our benchmarks will go to unis so I'm fine for geog and german but if I get a D in biology and projected an A then RIP my offers.

I have such high hopes for uni too! Applyig to places far away from London to get away from these people as much as possible
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    So we have benchmarks and current grades- my benchmarks are all As and my current grades are BCU. Apparently our benchmarks will go to unis so I'm fine for geog and german but if I get a D in biology and projected an A then RIP my offers.

I have such high hopes for uni too! Applyig to places far away from London to get away from these people as much as possible

If I get a C in English Literature then it's game over and I'm becoming a YouTuber. I imagine myself doing a foundation course or going through clearing. Have you considered foundation year?

ReputationRep:
    I don't open letters - I spend hours alt-tabbing between TSR and my inbox (or at least did that last year).

ReputationRep:
    If I get a C in English Literature then it's game over and I'm becoming a YouTuber. I imagine myself doing a foundation course or going through clearing. Have you considered foundation year?
    Nah you can play with a C. If it's a reformed course, you have a fresh start and maybe go into clearing/ take a gap year to get money or experience. If it's non reformed then work work work and you can get that up to a B easily.

Nope! I just wanna get started tbh. If I can get projected AAC for next year I'll be so happy I can apply to all my choices yay

YouTuber? What kind?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by JohnGreek)
    I don't open letters - I spend hours alt-tabbing between TSR and my inbox (or at least did that last year).

Ah the brown dismal envelope I will hold in my hand. I wish I had mine electronically.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Nah you can play with a C. If it's a reformed course, you have a fresh start and maybe go into clearing/ take a gap year to get money or experience. If it's non reformed then work work work and you can get that up to a B easily.

Nope! I just wanna get started tbh. If I can get projected AAC for next year I'll be so happy I can apply to all my choices yay

YouTuber? What kind?
    You''ll get there and possibly a gamer or some inspirational guru? Maybe I'd vlog too. I'm just hoping for atleast C's minimum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Philosophy (Resit but new spec) German (AS) and Sociology (A2). Yeah I can't do any mock exams or even access the 2015 paper w/o a teacher irritatingly, so pretty much just have to prepare for absolutely everything possible.

The AQA course book we have for new spec philosophy is useful, but I believe it only just came out like mid last year...so I have no idea what the hell 2014-2015 students had to cope with. I don't really buy revision guides as I don't see much of a point; our teacher has given us a lot of help and it's just amatter of learning the content and exam technique now.

Soz tht was a very long answer.
    Are you resitting the philosophy paper that was the new AS specimen last year? The 15markers were is knowledge justified true belief and the other one was about the cosmological argument... cause I'm resitting it but I'm going through my paper that I got back and its just marked so harshly, I was getting full marks in class for all my questions and the only question I got full marks for on this paper was a 2 marker so ngl the examiners scare me more than the paper? Just wondering if it's the same with anyone else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fayeelizabeth)
    Are you resitting the philosophy paper that was the new AS specimen last year? The 15markers were is knowledge justified true belief and the other one was about the cosmological argument... cause I'm resitting it but I'm going through my paper that I got back and its just marked so harshly, I was getting full marks in class for all my questions and the only question I got full marks for on this paper was a 2 marker so ngl the examiners scare me more than the paper? Just wondering if it's the same with anyone else
    No I'm not resitting last year's one unfortunately (last time I did it was under old spec in 2012-2013), but omg thank you so much for telling me what the two 15 mark questions were. Do you remember the 2/5/9 markers as well? The past paper isn't available to students on AQA website which is irritating

Marking is really, really harsh. Our teacher has constantly emphasised how harsh the marking is and how the average mark for a 15 mark essay is 6 I believe, so essay skills are something that you really need to refine (though your teacher should be doing that as well and it's worrying they might be being too lenient). Essays in philosophy have to be written so unbelievably well and I cannot think of anyone in our class this year who has achieved 15/15 on an essay - I managed 13/15 and I'm fairly certain that was [one of] the highest in the class for this year.

But yes I always tell people who don't study pure philosophy that it's so difficult purely because of how strict the marking is. You can lose marks for everything - giving an unneeded example, redundancy, not having a clear introduction, going off slightly on a tangent etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    No I'm not resitting last year's one unfortunately (last time I did it was under old spec in 2012-2013), but omg thank you so much for telling me what the two 15 mark questions were. Do you remember the 2/5/9 markers as well? The past paper isn't available to students on AQA website which is irritating

Marking is really, really harsh. Our teacher has constantly emphasised how harsh the marking is and how the average mark for a 15 mark essay is 6 I believe, so essay skills are something that you really need to refine (though your teacher should be doing that as well and it's worrying they might be being too lenient). Essays in philosophy have to be written so unbelievably well and I cannot think of anyone in our class this year who has achieved 15/15 on an essay - I managed 13/15 and I'm fairly certain that was [one of] the highest in the class for this year.

But yes I always tell people who don't study pure philosophy that it's so difficult purely because of how strict the marking is. You can lose marks for everything - giving an unneeded example, redundancy, not having a clear introduction, going off slightly on a tangent etc.
    Yeah I got my paper back so I've got all the questions...
    So it was like:
    1. what is a priori knowledge
    2. outline the 'argument from illusion' against direct realism
    3. Explain Berkeley's attack on the primary/second property distinction
    4. Explain Locke's arguments against innatism.
    5.Is knowledge justified true belief?
    Religion side:
    1. What does it mean to claim that God is everlasting?
    2. Outline the paradox of the stone?
    3. Explain how the Free Will Defence responds to the problem of evil.
    4. Outline the verification principle and explain Hick's claim that religious statements are verifiable eschatologically.
    5. Does the cosmological argument prove that God exists?

I can tell how harsh it is like in the comment section its literally like, imprecision, redundancy, lack of clarity, lacks this lacks that I still got a B on the paper but that's only cause of how low the grade boundaries were, I lost way over 30 marks, and I got 4/15 on the epistemology side (I wrote 4 pages so like one mark per page lol) and 11/15 on religious side. But I'm going through it now to try to understand how they mark but hopefully cause I've done A2 my writing would have improved a lot in general and now there's only 7people in the class so it's soo much better.
    And also I'm worried because in my mock for A2 I got 96/100 and obviously I don't want to tell my teacher this but I'm worried she's being too soft cause she was giving me full marks last year and my marks got significantly reduced so I'm not sure what to think....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fayeelizabeth)
    Yeah I got my paper back so I've got all the questions...
    So it was like:
    1. what is a priori knowledge
    2. outline the 'argument from illusion' against direct realism
    3. Explain Berkeley's attack on the primary/second property distinction
    4. Explain Locke's arguments against innatism.
    5.Is knowledge justified true belief?
    Religion side:
    1. What does it mean to claim that God is everlasting?
    2. Outline the paradox of the stone?
    3. Explain how the Free Will Defence responds to the problem of evil.
    4. Outline the verification principle and explain Hick's claim that religious statements are verifiable eschatologically.
    5. Does the cosmological argument prove that God exists?

I can tell how harsh it is like in the comment section its literally like, imprecision, redundancy, lack of clarity, lacks this lacks that I still got a B on the paper but that's only cause of how low the grade boundaries were, I lost way over 30 marks, and I got 4/15 on the epistemology side (I wrote 4 pages so like one mark per page lol) and 11/15 on religious side. But I'm going through it now to try to understand how they mark but hopefully cause I've done A2 my writing would have improved a lot in general and now there's only 7people in the class so it's soo much better.
    And also I'm worried because in my mock for A2 I got 96/100 and obviously I don't want to tell my teacher this but I'm worried she's being too soft cause she was giving me full marks last year and my marks got significantly reduced so I'm not sure what to think....
    1) Thank you so much for all the questions, you have no idea how much I love you right now.
    2) "Outline Locke's arguments against Innatism" is quite vague is it not o.O

3) Yeah the grade boundaries are insane, you can drop like 23 marks and still get an A - that's how hard it is .
    4) Smaller classes are much better, our class has about 15 people in it which I'm not too fond of (last time I was there we only had nine) as there's more distractions and less focus on individual pupils.

5) For writing the essays - read through the mark schemes for 2/5/9/15 mark qs on AQAs website and a few things I keep in mind when writing essays are:

- Have I actually stated the point I'm arguing in my introduction and is this clear.
    - Am I constantly arguing this point throughout and relating back my arguments to this point
    - Am I fairly considering counter arguments and trying to counteract them (you can't be 100% one sided).
    - Have I explained this clearly or have I assumed the reader will understand.
    - Do all my arguments flow clearly and logically into one another
    - Have I made a point that's not related/on a tangent???
    - Have I put a strong conclusion drawing everything together.

It's really hard to not go on a tangent I find personally. The reason i tend to lose marks is because I always start attacking an argument...then end up attacking another part of the argument completely unrelated to my original viewpoint.

It's a shame that your teacher seems to be incredibly lenient; but our teacher did say that at various places a lot of RS teachers simply agree to teach AS Philosophy not realising that the exam technique is completely different and much harsher. So it looks like you'll really have to try and do the exam technique b y yourself and pray.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

1) Aha it's not a problem
    2) yh I remember seeing it and being quite surprised it's not a type of question I was expecting ...
    3 ) smaller classes are so much better, for discussion as well since we all sit around one table and it defiantly makes a difference!

4) yh I'm gonna make sure I know the mark scheme well this year! And omg thank you that is the kind of list I needed! Last year I didn't realise how important the introduction and conclusion were and I found that when I mentioned words like 'deductive' the examiner would put imprecise because I hadn't explained it in itself :/

Yh like I know she is critical of work but at the same time when you compare it to how the examiners are critical it's just on another level ... but like one thing I don't get is how they expect you to integrate (in the 15markers) when you're starting a whole new point, like me and my teacher were quite baffled why they noted lack of integration specifically? Do you how this is meant to be done?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.