Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Opinions on City living vs Student village.

Also which is the best City accommodation and which is the best accommodation at Oadby?

Mainly worried about missing out on the social life if I opt for City living accommodation, can anyone offer any insights regarding this?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to decide which halls to apply for also hopefully someone replies !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Horder)

Also which is the best City accommodation and which is the best accommodation at Oadby?

Mainly worried about missing out on the social life if I opt for City living accommodation, can anyone offer any insights regarding this?

Many thanks
    OMG do not live in Oadby... that's the worst thing you could do. Its so far from the campus and the traffic down london rd in the morning is terrible. Oadby is a posh area doesn't really have the student atmosphere compared to e.g. the halls around Morrisons, where it is highly populated with students. You would deffo have a better social life if you stayed out of Oadby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack Horder)

Many thanks
    (Original post by jawsontheflooor)
    I'm trying to decide which halls to apply for also hopefully someone replies !
    Couldn't disagree more to the post below!

The majority of first years live in Oadby so it definitely has the best social scene - city living (with the exception of Mary Gee) is made up of mostly 2nd/3rd year/post grad/ international students - not to say that they don't party too but oadby/mary gee is where you'll get the better freshers experience.
    Oadby is set in much nicer area - lots of green space, facilities (ie dance studios), student bar (they run film nights, pub quizzes, balls) - you don't get that stuff really at CL (there are common rooms but not so much organised events).

Oadby is further away - around 2-3 miles depending on which route you take, but there are buses (80 and 31) that run pretty much every 10-15 minutes. They are crowded at peak times (8-9, 4-5), expensive and there is traffic but its a 35-40 minute walk/ 10-15 minute bike ride that's not too hilly so its really not a problem. Taxis back from a night out cost £1.50-2.50 pp so reasonable. City living is a lot closer (5 - 10 minute walk), 25 from Mary Gee, but it is mostly set in a car park backing onto an industrial estate (not so pretty).

Price wise, Oadby is reasonable to expensive depending on what room type you go for (check the website for actual prices). City Living is the cheapest at the cheap end (£85/week) but that is at Freemens Common (box rooms, sharing a kitchen and bathrooms with 10 people) and is pretty basic. The more expensive stuff (ie ensuite/studio flats) at Nixon and Opal Court are very nice on the inside but also very pricey.

Mary Gee is a block of houses inbetween Oadby and Campus - also really cheap (£85) but in a nicer area than Freemens Common. You'll find mixed reviews, but people I know who lived there enjoyed it.

Basically, go for City Living if you want something potentially cheap, or close to campus and (kind of) close to the city (you're still a good 20-30 minute walk away). You're close to the library, gym, and some pubs but there's really not as good a social scene or freshers environment as at Oadby

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiesaurus)
    Thank you so much ! It's great to know about the walking times etc
    I'm definitely going to go with somewhere in Oadby I don't mind shared bathrooms or anything like that , I've been looking at Digby House & Bowder Court in particular and I think i'll put Mary Gee down as well.
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you stay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jawsontheflooor)
    Thank you so much ! It's great to know about the walking times etc
    I'm definitely going to go with somewhere in Oadby I don't mind shared bathrooms or anything like that , I've been looking at Digby House & Bowder Court in particular and I think i'll put Mary Gee down as well.
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you stay?
    Sounds like a good plan
    Bowder Court is ensuite though just so you're aware, but Digby House (and all of digby really) is very nice!
    I stayed in Rosenfels House, which is now grouped into the Stamford Houses I think?

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good plan
    Bowder Court is ensuite though just so you're aware, but Digby House (and all of digby really) is very nice!
    I stayed in Rosenfels House, which is now grouped into the Stamford Houses I think?
    OH I seee, nah I definitely don't want to be paying any extra just for an ensuite
    thank you again, it's so much better to hear it from someone that's not trying to sell the most pricey haha

ReputationRep:
    If you have any questions about Mary Gee, you can messge me. Currently living here. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyobvious)
    If you have any questions about Mary Gee, you can messge me. Currently living here. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just out of curiosity, does the Asda shuttle bus go by Mary Gee?
    I know there's one that goes from Nixon every week, but it'd make more sense for Mary Gee to have one (seeing as Nixon is 10 minutes from Morissons :P )

ReputationRep:
    Just out of curiosity, does the Asda shuttle bus go by Mary Gee?
    I know there's one that goes from Nixon every week, but it'd make more sense for Mary Gee to have one (seeing as Nixon is 10 minutes from Morissons :P )
    Yess, it does!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anybody living in John Foster halls? What do you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muchaco)
    Anybody living in John Foster halls? What do you think of it?
    There's probably a better thread to comment on to find out :P
    But, I'd say the houses are quite nice and the pavilions are very modern (but more expensive) and I've never been in the coppice!

ReputationRep:
    There's probably a better thread to comment on to find out :P
    But, I'd say the houses are quite nice and the pavilions are very modern (but more expensive) and I've never been in the coppice!
    Thread like what??
    Yeah I've seen from the pictures and other reviews that its really nice, but what about other places in Oadby?

ReputationRep:
    Anybody living in Opal court ? Or thinking to live there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in GMS Bowder court at the moment and I'd recommend it if you have the finance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm in Mary Gee and the comment about the fresher's experience not being as good isn't true.

I had a great freshers at Mary Gee, the blocks all surround different courtyards which is great for meeting up and parties. The kitchens and foyer are good areas to hold parties. The party bus often stopped at Mary Gee before Oadby, meaning you were more likely to get on. And at the end of teh night, if you're feeling brave you could walk home, or get a taxi which is much cheaper to Mary Gee than OAdby!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mononoke_)
    Hi, I'm in Mary Gee and the comment about the fresher's experience not being as good isn't true.

I had a great freshers at Mary Gee, the blocks all surround different courtyards which is great for meeting up and parties. The kitchens and foyer are good areas to hold parties. The party bus often stopped at Mary Gee before Oadby, meaning you were more likely to get on. And at the end of teh night, if you're feeling brave you could walk home, or get a taxi which is much cheaper to Mary Gee than OAdby!
    That's really nice to hear! I'm probably gonna end up in Mary gee next year, can you tell me more about it? How much did you enjoy it and what things you didn't like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muchaco)
    That's really nice to hear! I'm probably gonna end up in Mary gee next year, can you tell me more about it? How much did you enjoy it and what things you didn't like?

It had a very communal feel because in reality, no one picked mary gee and as a result you all kind of bonded from being in the same boat. The porters are so nice & Dan the porter is hilarious, he'll come over when you're having a party, won't tell you off but just throw some jokes and stuff. I've had some interesting conversations and made some friends in the laudnry room too. I personally don't use the common room too much but I know loads of people have made really good friends in there.

The only issue with mary gee is that its a bit old, and a bit broken. So things do stop working but if you just let the porters know they'll fixi it, a flatmate even got another book shelf in her room just from asking (Also there is not enough chairs to fit all 10 people you get 6 chairs to a kitchen table )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mononoke_)
    It had a very communal feel because in reality, no one picked mary gee and as a result you all kind of bonded from being in the same boat. The porters are so nice & Dan the porter is hilarious, he'll come over when you're having a party, won't tell you off but just throw some jokes and stuff. I've had some interesting conversations and made some friends in the laudnry room too. I personally don't use the common room too much but I know loads of people have made really good friends in there.

The only issue with mary gee is that its a bit old, and a bit broken. So things do stop working but if you just let the porters know they'll fixi it, a flatmate even got another book shelf in her room just from asking (Also there is not enough chairs to fit all 10 people you get 6 chairs to a kitchen table )
    Thanks for your answer!
    For me, it's gonna be a first choice if I get there, cause it's cheap and feels kind of oadby

Well then it seems there's nothing much to be afraid of!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.