Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Only 55% of self-identified Christians believe in a God? Watch

ReputationRep:
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/02/12...-higher-power/

This makes no sense to me if you believe in Christian you surely should believe in God otherwise your religion will either be a religion that doesn't believe in a personal God or you are Atheist or Agnostic.

ReputationRep:
    Oh Britain. Never change.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised the percentage is that low, but not that surprised. I know a lot of people define themselves as Christian if they follow the teachings of Christ - love thy neighbour as thyself, turn the other cheek, all that great stuff. They wouldn't necessarily believe that he rose from the dead or that God exists. And to be honest, living the morality of Christ seems more meaningful than the usual "accepting Christ as your lord and saviour". I have nothing but respect for Christians of that definition.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised its not lower, although that depends on how many are "self-identified Christian".
    I think the majority of Brits are just "Cultural Christian"

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-9821899.html

ReputationRep:
    A lot of self-identified christians only claim to be christian because they were christened/baptised. Most of them are actually apatheists, they don't really care about religion, at least in the UK and much of Europe.

ReputationRep:
    It does make sense. The UK is historically a Christian country based on Christian beliefs and culture, so a lot of British people identify as Christian (they take part in Christian culture like baptism, weddings, Christmas etc.), even if they don't specifically believe in the religion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I'm surprised the percentage is that low, but not that surprised. I know a lot of people define themselves as Christian if they follow the teachings of Christ - love thy neighbour as thyself, turn the other cheek, all that great stuff. They wouldn't necessarily believe that he rose from the dead or that God exists. And to be honest, living the morality of Christ seems more meaningful than the usual "accepting Christ as your lord and saviour". I have nothing but respect for Christians of that definition.
    A lot of the teachings of Christ are good so its logical to assume that good people would follow a lot of them and therefore by this definition it would make good people Christian and bad people not which doesn't make sense(good Muslims are not Christian?).

Many Christians seem to break many of the core principles of Christianity anyway so defining it that way doesn't make sense.For example Christians Tories(like David Cameron) don't seem to be protecting the environment and certainly don't love thy neighbor with the attacks on the poor and disabled.

It also goes against a lot of RE teaching I had in school that taught that Christians believe in one god and Jesus rising from the dead etc.In fact if we are to go with this cultural Christian definition that would make virtually everyone who was born in the UK Christian as most of RE teaching focuses on Christianity with a bit about other religions.I was brought up Christian by my parents but most of Christianity that I learnt I learnt in school(I didn't go to a faith school either).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    It does make sense. The UK is historically a Christian country based on Christian beliefs and culture, so a lot of British people identify as Christian (they take part in Christian culture like baptism, weddings, Christmas etc.), even if they don't specifically believe in the religion.
    Christmas and Weddings are celebrated around the World they aren't particularly Christian(although Christmas started that way)- Christmas nowadays is about celebrating family and giving each other presents and Santa Claus giving presents to children.Baptism is certainly Christian I certainly wouldn't get my child baptised I was baptised though as I was brought up Christian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Christmas and Weddings are celebrated around the World they aren't particularly Christian(although Christmas started that way)- Christmas nowadays is about celebrating family and giving each other presents and Santa Claus giving presents to children.Baptism is certainly Christian I certainly wouldn't get my child baptised I was baptised though as I was brought up Christian.
    Not true. Christmas may no longer have much of a Christian significance, but it's mainly only celebrated in traditionally Christian countries. I live in Japan and Christmas isn't a holiday here. It's gained popularity in recent years and 'exists', but not to the same extent as in the UK. People go to school and work as normal, and there's no concept of it being a national holiday. Also, I never said weddings are Christian, but in the UK, a lot of people still opt for religious wedding ceremonies.

ReputationRep:
    The prophecies are being fulfilled ...

Many say you are a "Christian" if you can say "Jesus is my Lord", or have prayed a man-made "sinners prayer", or made a confession/profession of faith ("self-identification") but Jesus says:

"Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? ...then will I profess to them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Matt. 7:22-24)

A christian is someone who has received the Holy Spirit because “Christ” or “Messiah” means “anointed one” and the anointing is the Holy Spirit (Acts 10v38). Romans 8v9 states:-
    “ . . . you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.”

In the new testament it is known precisely when people receive the Holy Spirit, God bares independent witness with his sign of speak in tongues, a prayer language he leads all his children in, ministrering his love to the soul (1 Cor. 14:2, 4, 14-18, Jude 19-21).

And yet even of those that have receivd this, there is "a great falling away" as people revert to living by "the flesh".

Most people have never even been to a church where the right things are taught and done, so, misconceptions abound.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    The prophecies are being fulfilled ...
    Amazing, this is exactly what Orthodox apocalyptic Muslims say about the fall of Islam.

I guess it's one way to console yourselves with such issues.

ReputationRep:
    Christianity is dead in the west I thought people knew that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agrippatropes)
    Amazing, this is exactly what Orthodox apocalyptic Muslims say about the fall of Islam.

I guess it's one way to console yourselves with such issues.
    I have found 100% success with bible prophecy, showing that the author knows the future. What consolation do you have? Do you try to console yourself by seeking to find fault in others? Are you just coffin-dodging and making out all is ok? Do you use alcohol? ...

ReputationRep:
    Lol

Nothing more to it but lol really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    ermm no it is not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by al_94)
    I think you mean Europe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.