Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    A couple of hours ago I was driving amongst a group of cars heading up a hill where a speed camera was situated near the top. Now I know the speed limit is 30mph on that stretch of road, and I am adamant I wasn't doing more than 33-34mph. The camera flashed right in my face upon approaching it.

I am really worried as I really can't afford a £100 fine, let alone 3 points on my license which is only 7-8 months old!

Some things to note:
    -There were white lines representing distance in some way on the other side of the road.
    -I was in the middle of two cars and we were pretty close to each other when the flash occurred
    -The flash was terribly bright and flashed on my approach and not after I had past the camera

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by South_Coast)
    Hey guys,
    A couple of hours ago I was driving amongst a group of cars heading up a hill where a speed camera was situated near the top. Now I know the speed limit is 30mph on that stretch of road, and I am adamant I wasn't doing more than 33-34mph. The camera flashed right in my face upon approaching it.

I am really worried as I really can't afford a £100 fine, let alone 3 points on my license which is only 7-8 months old!

Some things to note:
    -There were white lines representing distance in some way on the other side of the road.
    -I was in the middle of two cars and we were pretty close to each other when the flash occurred
    -The flash was terribly bright and flashed on my approach and not after I had past the camera

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Just need to wait and hopeful it wasn't you. I think they have 1-3 mph levy so you should be fine, If it flashed on your approach most likely it was the car ahead.

Just wait and see

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply,
    You think that it could be the car in front? I cannot recall whether the car in front had passed the camera before it flashed or not.. I did find it strange how it flashed towards us rather than flash from behind, especially in the dark.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Some things to note:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think generally the rule is that you have to be going 35 to get a fixed penalty in a 30 zone, although I don't know if this is a standard rule across all cameras. You will probably be fine. In future stick to the actual speed limit where there are cameras and you won't have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Speed awareness course normally offered for a first offence. No points.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Some things to note:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't flash when your approaching it if your the one caught for speeding... Did it flash again after you went past it? if no, then your in the clear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
    It doesn't flash when your approaching it if your the one caught for speeding... Did it flash again after you went past it? if no, then your in the clear
    Upon doing a lot of research regarding the different types of cameras, it appears that the camera that flashed at me is a 'gatso', which are not allowed to flash drivers heading towards it? I couldn't tell if it flashed after I passed it but I didn't see any reflection bouncing of the car behind in my mirror.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Speed awareness course normally offered for a first offence. No points.
    If I have been caught then I do hope this is the case..It is a notorious spot for people speeding and local paper says that 615 motorists were caught by it last year?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliemogs)
    I think generally the rule is that you have to be going 35 to get a fixed penalty in a 30 zone, although I don't know if this is a standard rule across all cameras. You will probably be fine. In future stick to the actual speed limit where there are cameras and you won't have a problem.
    I have read this also, it appears there is definitely some leeway due to speedo accuracy etc.. I generally alway stick to the limits when driving in the city, although the 20mph zones are ridiculous and do not stop anyone from doing 30mph (including myself)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.