Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For those of you who have done this before, do you have any tips on how to manage lifting on a cut?

Currently am about 300-400 cals below my previous 'bulk' into which I now realise was way too high. I've recalculated so that its now about 600-700 cals below my bulk intake (I was gaining too much weight on the bulk anyway so I'm sure it was too high) and I'm going to try it for a few weeks. On my rest days I am going to be 50-100 cals above BMR and on workout days about 200 cals above.

Problem is that even now Im finding it very difficult to lift, everything just seems so much more heavier and tiring, even tho I've reduced the volume.

Any tips? Should eat at certain times before I work out? How to deal with constant hunger pangs?

The scales seem to hardly be moving :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tootles44)
    For those of you who have done this before, do you have any tips on how to manage lifting on a cut?

Currently am about 300-400 cals below my previous 'bulk' into which I now realise was way too high. I've recalculated so that its now about 600-700 cals below my bulk intake (I was gaining too much weight on the bulk anyway so I'm sure it was too high) and I'm going to try it for a few weeks. On my rest days I am going to be 50-100 cals above BMR and on workout days about 200 cals above.

Problem is that even now Im finding it very difficult to lift, everything just seems so much more heavier and tiring, even tho I've reduced the volume.

Any tips? Should eat at certain times before I work out? How to deal with constant hunger pangs?

Could try reducing the deficit but doing more cardio?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Could try reducing the deficit but doing more cardio?
    nahh **** cardio

not srs

I really dont enjoy cardio at all and it barely burns any calories for the length you have to do

ReputationRep:
    nahh **** cardio

not srs

I really dont enjoy cardio at all and it barely burns any calories for the length you have to do
    Hill sprints.

ReputationRep:
    nahh **** cardio

not srs

Cardio's the first thing I'd say but you don't think it's that efficient?
    Try swimming/skipping rope. Both are really efficient calorie burners and swimming's a pretty good fat burner and whole body workout whilst skipping rope also works out a few other muscles.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I thought it was obvious that you can't maintain the strength in your muscles If you eat less? Why not go back to the calories you used to have, and do both weight training and cardio?

ReputationRep:

Volume = everything
    Try having a large bowl of salad/chicken/fruits and try to have a large
    volume of it when you begin to get your cravings.

You don't have to do cardio but it does help as a tool when cutting
    but as long as you're in a caloric deficit it shouldn't matter too much.
    Are you tracking your macros/calories etc?

I would say try to keep a large portion of your calories before/after or
    just manipulate your meal frequency times so that it doesn't hinder
    your gym performance too much, although on a cut that is inevitable.

Don't worry, adherence is the key.

ReputationRep:
    best workout to get cut are :-
    1. cardio
    2. weight lifting
    3. push up
    4. pull up

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.