Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How is 'home status' decided by the university upon application? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am currently applying for a Masters starting this September. I am UK citizen who has been working in england for the past year but was travelling outside the EU for two years eithout returning prior to this. My bank account was still open (though very few transactions) the whole time. Will I get through with home status fees? How do universities decide who to send 'questionnaires' and who to automatically award home status to?

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar question.. I am from Spain and have lived in Europe all my life (did my Undergraduate in the UK). I've been working in Singapore and Malaysia over the last past 5 years, and it only just hit me that they could consider me an overseas student...

Anyone know if proving that your 'ordinary' or 'habitual' residence is in EU is sufficient?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Sam321123)
    I am currently applying for a Masters starting this September. I am UK citizen who has been working in england for the past year but was travelling outside the EU for two years eithout returning prior to this. My bank account was still open (though very few transactions) the whole time. Will I get through with home status fees? How do universities decide who to send 'questionnaires' and who to automatically award home status to?
    There is a forum on here where you cna speak to an SFE rep so ask there or maybe just contact SFE.

You need to check this but from a quick read the Uni doesnt decide its SFE or they use the SFE test. if you told me which uni it was I could check their information.

I checked to see which test and it appears to be the same one for postgrads as undergrads called the orinarily resident test. thats what the .gov site links to.

Its contained here
    https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/n...ltime-students
    http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1516/ft/s...ide_1516_d.pdf

You need to check with SFE, but I believe its there ordinaruly resident test.

Where you liveNormally, you must meet three requirements relating to where you live and your immigration status on the first day of the first academic year of your course. On that date, you must:• be ‘ordinarily resident’ (see note 1) in England;• have been ordinarily resident in the United Kingdom or Islands for the three years immediately before this; and• have ‘settled status’ in the UK (under the terms of the Immigration Act 1971).

Note 1:The term ‘ordinarily resident’ means where you usually live for most of your time in the three years before your course is due to start.If you were away from this country during all or part of the three-year period because either you, or a specified family member (for example, a parent or grandparent) were temporarily employed abroad, we may treat you as having lived in the UK for the entire period you or your family member were away.If you were away from the UK during all or part of the three-year period because you or a specified family member were serving abroad as a member of the regular armed forces (the British Army, the Royal Navy or the Royal Air Force), this may be treated as a temporary absence. This may not prevent you from being eligible for support towards your fees or your course costs.If you’re living in the UK mainly to receive full-time education and, if you weren’t studying you’d normally live outside of the UK, we won’t usually treat you as being ordinarily resident in the UK.

You will need to prove that you were still ordinarily resident in the UK,it was temporary and you always intended to return. Evidence of continuing links could support this. If in doubt apply.

Check with SFE.

Just on the other point I think its SFE who decide by default because to get their funding you have to pass the home or EU student tests. If they pass you it will be as a home student.

• Very Important Poster

(Original post by rk217)
    I have a similar question.. I am from Spain and have lived in Europe all my life (did my Undergraduate in the UK). I've been working in Singapore and Malaysia over the last past 5 years, and it only just hit me that they could consider me an overseas student...

Anyone know if proving that your 'ordinary' or 'habitual' residence is in EU is sufficient?
    For postgraduate loans everything isnt clear yet, but they seem to be using the same ordinarily resident test.

DO I QUALIFY?Personal eligibilityWhere you liveYou must have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the EEA or Switzerland for the three years before the start of your course.‘Ordinarily resident’ means where you usually live, apart from temporary or occasional absences.There’s more information about the residency requirements on our website www.gov.uk/studentfinance

http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/eu/e...ide_1617_d.pdf

As you have been away in Singapore for 5 years it looks like a tough call to consider you to be ordinarily resident in the EU.You will need to provide evidence your 5 year absence was only temporary. It seems a tough call, but you might have the evidence. Check with SFE. The rep on here is very good.

ps I have a feeling the 3 years residence has changed to 5 years very recently, so that leaflet may be out of date

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.