Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started my career on Wall Street, then came to London. I genuinely found students in the UK start preparing for their banking application at least 1 to 2 years earlier than in the US.

You can find our courses at citysail.co.uk. Hope some of them will be helpful to you.

(Original post by Uniquestions9)
    CitySail, do you have a website I can get more detail about your courses on? I'm keen to get involved in as many different activities and experiences as possible this summer.
    I'm not worried about cost, I have a little part time job I save from and investing it in courses which will expand my knowledge regarding my career are cool with me!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you wdkmwd - I believe its just some small misunderstanding - it's cleared now.

And thank you to Princepieman as well. Let's both continue to give students the best advice we can.

(Original post by Princepieman)
    Alright dude..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where would you choose and why though guys?

Cass Business School or University of Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    Where would you choose and why though guys?

Cass Business School or University of Manchester?
    Cass. Strong semi target, easy to get to interviews/assessment centres, means you don't have to worry about accommodation for spring weeks and internships, plus courses will prep you well for technical interview questions and they send a large amount of people into the industry, have friends there doing very well

Although I would enjoy/have more fun at Manchester
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Breakingbank)
    Cass. Strong semi target, easy to get to interviews/assessment centres, means you don't have to worry about accommodation for spring weeks and internships, plus courses will prep you well for technical interview questions and they send a large amount of people into the industry, have friends there doing very well

Agree with most of this but the course he's applied for at Cass isn't one of their flagship courses. In his situation, I'd much rather study Finance at Manchester.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    These questions should be addressed to the HR departments of IBs rather than ask random people on a website many of whom have not been to university, don't work in IB but somehow have an opinion on it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maker)
    These questions should be addressed to the HR departments of IBs rather than ask random people on a website many of whom have not been to university, don't work in IB but somehow have an opinion on it.
    Good luck with that, all you'll get is: 'We consider applicants from all universities, we have no preferences'. Which is a clear cover up.

P.S. the somehow is called connections with bankers. But of course, you can continue being condescending too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Breakingbank)

Really helpful response! Thanks a lot!
    Like Princepieman said though - I would be studying BSc Business Studies at Cass. The course still has lots of finance modules you can take such as maths and statstics, M&A, Banking strategy etc

Would that influence your choice?

My offer from Manchester is International Business, Finance & Economics

ReputationRep:
    Really helpful response! Thanks a lot!
    Like Princepieman said though - I would be studying BSc Business Studies at Cass. The course still has lots of finance modules you can take such as maths and statstics, M&A, Banking strategy etc

Would that influence your choice?

My offer from Manchester is International Business, Finance & Economics
    Swtich to Investment and Financial Risk Management at CASS. I would assume they are pretty flexbie with these kind of changes. I am an offer holder for IFRAM.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with that, all you'll get is: 'We consider applicants from all universities, we have no preferences'. Which is a clear cover up.

P.S. the somehow is called connections with bankers. But of course, you can continue being condescending too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And we have no idea the respondents on this thread are genuine or giving us the run around. You can ask the banks where they go for their milk round as a start.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maker)
    And we have no idea the respondents on this thread are genuine or giving us the run around. You can ask the banks where they go for their milk round as a start.
    Now you're talking! That info can be gleaned from the finance society websites of various universities, if the banks are handing over cash + regularly visit the campus, it'll definitely be a university they look out for.

You'll also have to bear in mind whether the banks target the universities for the most sought after roles (front office) or the less sought after roles (back office/tech) - that info can be gleaned if you know people that went on internship programs, they'll usually tell you the breakdown of how many interns came from which universities.

The phrase 'semi-target' was coined to represent the universities where some banks target but not all and, to reflect on the fewer numbers breaking in relative to the usual target universities. In this case, Manchester/Cass are both in this 'bracket'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CitySail)
    x
    Considering some people on this thread haven't completed any spring weeks/internship - let alone are they even a university student - yet feel like they have the right to give advice on potentially life-changing decisions, I wouldn't worry too much about what they thinks of the programmes offered by veteran bankers
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by C_Richards99)
    Considering some people on this thread haven't completed any spring weeks/internship - let alone are they even a university student - yet feel like they have the right to give advice on potentially life-changing decisions, I wouldn't worry too much about what they thinks of the programmes offered by veteran bankers
    Not really 'life changing', the unis in question are equally matched. OP just needs to choose which location/course would be better for them. Thanks tho, for the snide comment

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not really 'life changing', the unis in question are equally matched. OP just needs to choose which location/course would be better for them. Thanks tho, for the snide comment

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So much beef lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    So much beef lol
    I really don't see why people feel the need to add comments like that.. It's neither constructive to the discussion nor is it helpful to the OP. Although I do enjoy having people dismiss my advice without them offering anything themselves..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I really don't see why people feel the need to add comments like that.. It's neither constructive to the discussion nor is it helpful to the OP. Although I do enjoy having people dismiss my advice without them offering anything themselves..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are you talking about me or the guy who criticised your advice...?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Are you talking about me or the guy who criticised your advice...?
    Obviously not you! But people criticising me for 'lack of experience', even though I've had at least 20-30 PMs from different people telling me they've managed to land jobs or internships because of what advice I've given them... Makes you feel a bit crap when that happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Obviously not you! But people criticising me for 'lack of experience', even though I've had at least 20-30 PMs from different people telling me they've managed to land jobs or internships because of what advice I've given them... Makes you feel a bit crap when that happens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ok

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.