The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics: Official Thread for May/June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by TeaAndTextbooks
Okay so basically I was revising and I realized I have no idea what irreducible complexity is. Would anyone mind explaining it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Religion and science is unlikely to come up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VivekJ555
Religion and science is unlikely to come up

Posted from TSR Mobile

OCR loves religion and science though but I'll take your word for it. I'm just trying to cover everything except the moral argument because I hate the moral argument.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 242
Original post by TeaAndTextbooks
Okay so basically I was revising and I realized I have no idea what irreducible complexity is. Would anyone mind explaining it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Irreducible complexity was proposed by Michael Behe and was an answer to Darwin's 'Black Box challenge.' The challenge known as Darwin's Black Box states that if there was a way of proving that a complex organ existed that couldn't have been brought around by natural selection then Dawin's theory would absolutely break down and he would happily accept this. Behe believed he had found the answer that could open Dawrin's black box and prove him incorrect.

The term 'irreducible complexity' means that there are too many points that make something up in order for it to just be there by chance; it in unable to evolve because every piece is necessary. For example, an eye is too complex to just have come about by natural selection.

Behe uses the example of cilium to break down Darwin's black box. Cilium is a hair-like vibrating structure used for protection. He argued that things need to be ordered in a precise function and work together in order for cilium to actually work. The Cilium also needs to be positioned correctly, oriented correctly and turned on and off according to the needs of the cell. This is too precise and complex to have happened through numerous, slight modifications.

Behe's use of a mousetrap is also used to support his argument. In order for a mousetrap to work properly, it must be built on a solid base and have four other parts. If any of these parts were missing, it would not function properly. If we were to apply Darwin's natural selection to this, we would not be able to build a mousetrap; it would be impossible.
Original post by meeya
Irreducible complexity was proposed by Michael Behe and was an answer to Darwin's 'Black Box challenge.' The challenge known as Darwin's Black Box states that if there was a way of proving that a complex organ existed that couldn't have been brought around by natural selection then Dawin's theory would absolutely break down and he would happily accept this. Behe believed he had found the answer that could open Dawrin's black box and prove him incorrect.

The term 'irreducible complexity' means that there are too many points that make something up in order for it to just be there by chance; it in unable to evolve because every piece is necessary. For example, an eye is too complex to just have come about by natural selection.

Behe uses the example of cilium to break down Darwin's black box. Cilium is a hair-like vibrating structure used for protection. He argued that things need to be ordered in a precise function and work together in order for cilium to actually work. The Cilium also needs to be positioned correctly, oriented correctly and turned on and off according to the needs of the cell. This is too precise and complex to have happened through numerous, slight modifications.

Behe's use of a mousetrap is also used to support his argument. In order for a mousetrap to work properly, it must be built on a solid base and have four other parts. If any of these parts were missing, it would not function properly. If we were to apply Darwin's natural selection to this, we would not be able to build a mousetrap; it would be impossible.

Thanks for the explanation :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys, is it likely for goodness of God, Moral and teleological arguments and Aristotle to all come up again? I don't mean as in this years test but I mean as it coming seperately on this years, or will topics like Plato, ontological, cosmological, problem of evil come up?
Original post by Hayjayk89
Hi guys, is it likely for goodness of God, Moral and teleological arguments and Aristotle to all come up again? I don't mean as in this years test but I mean as it coming seperately on this years, or will topics like Plato, ontological, cosmological, problem of evil come up?

Aristotle and teleological came up last year. I wouldnt be surprised if they added aristotle to part of a larger question with plato or go as creator though. I dont see teleological coming up. Something combining the Judeo Christian idea of a good God and the prime mover is also a possibility. The 4 topics you later metioned are far more likely tho.
Hey guys, my first group on whatsapp for OCR philosophy and ethics as is full but if you want to join then im thinking of creating another one for revision xx if yu wanna join then just message/pm me your name and number and I will add u xx
How should you structure your timing in the exam? Like how much time should you spend planning?
Original post by Necromon
Aristotle and teleological came up last year. I wouldnt be surprised if they added aristotle to part of a larger question with plato or go as creator though. I dont see teleological coming up. Something combining the Judeo Christian idea of a good God and the prime mover is also a possibility. The 4 topics you later metioned are far more likely tho.

Do you think God as a creator could come up?

do you think kants moral arguement will come up?
Original post by Hayjayk89
Do you think God as a creator could come up?

Came up two years ago but i doubt it, theres more topics Plato is almost definate, hasnt come up since Jan 2013. I woudlnt rule out God as creator but Theodicy and Ontological are more likely imo, the last time ontological came up it was descartes so it will probably be Anslem this time.

Original post by Whitbyyy
How should you structure your timing in the exam? Like how much time should you spend planning?

3 minutes panicking/planning
27 minutes on 25 mark
2 minutes planning
13 minutes 10 mark
repeat

Original post by @Damzbobs
do you think kants moral arguement will come up?

Breifly, no. It came up last year. Don't count on what I say though, I'd just recommend doing Plato, ontological, cosmological and theodicy more.
How do you guys give your opinion in part b without using "I think that/In my opinion..."
Original post by TarotOfMagic
Entropy = constant state of change.
Motion = movement.

You're welcome and good luck!

Are you sure? I was told that Entropy is the Epicurean belief that disorder will naturally lead to order over time.
Assess the claim that Plato does not value experience enough.

I really don't know how to answer this?

Perhaps you could use Aristotle but still...
Best guesses at what will come up this year ????
OK so my teacher (and some website that predicted as well) think these are likely...

my teacher and this guy who clearly has a lot of time on his hands only agreed on q1

1A) Explain Plato's theory of the forms
B) Assess the claim that Plato does not value experience enough

A question about Plato specific to the Cave/forms hasn't been asked since 2013

The guy's predictions (he's pretty good)

2A) Explain how the bible shows God as good
B) Good is only what God calls good. Discuss.

A question on goodness of God hasn't been asked since 2012 where it asked about His attributes and inconsistency in the bible for moral teachings

3A) Explain Aquinas' teleological argument.
B) You cannot rationally accept the argument from design. Discuss

They haven't asked for teleo since 2013 where they asked about mill's challenges and Aquinas' fifth way

4A) Explain how Kant's summum bonum can be used to prove God's existence
B) Assess the claim that Freud’s challenges to the nature of morality successfully undermine the moral argument.

They haven't asked about moral argument since 2013 where they asked about Freud's view on moral awareness and God being a source of it

My teacher's predictions (p.s.- every time she predicts she's right for at least 2 of them)

2A) Explain Anselm's ontological argument
B) Assess Guanilo's challenge to Anselm

My teacher says they haven't had an onto question specific to Anselm for a couple of years (Guanilo hasn't been specifically asked for in a while)

3A) Explain Hume's criticisms of the cosmological argument
B) To what extent is Hume successful in criticising the cosmological argument?

Apparently Hume didn't come up much last year and he hasn't been specifically asked for in a part A for a while(Ngl I don't like the sound of that question because it's specific to Hume)

4A) Explain the theodicies of Augustine and Irenaeus
B- There is no solution to the problem of evil and suffering. Discuss.
tbh that's not a bad question but I don't like the part B, what would you say for that?

Do you want ethics predictions yet?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by amalick1029
OK so my teacher (and some website that predicted as well) think these are likely...

my teacher and this guy who clearly has a lot of time on his hands only agreed on q1

A question on goodness of God hasn't been asked since 2012 where it asked about His attributes and inconsistency in the bible for moral teachings

They haven't asked for teleo since 2013 where they asked about mill's challenges and Aquinas' fifth way

B) Assess the claim that Freud’s challenges to the nature of morality successfully undermine the moral argument.

They haven't asked about moral argument since 2013 where they asked about Freud's view on moral awareness and God being a source of it

My teacher's predictions (p.s.- every time she predicts she's right for at least 2 of them)

2A) Explain Anselm's ontological argument
B) Assess Guanilo's challenge to Anselm

My teacher says they haven't had an onto question specific to Anselm for a couple of years (Guanilo hasn't been specifically asked for in a while)

3A) Explain Hume's criticisms of the cosmological argument
B) To what extent is Hume successful in criticising the cosmological argument?

Apparently Hume didn't come up much last year and he hasn't been specifically asked for in a part A for a while(Ngl I don't like the sound of that question because it's specific to Hume)

4A) Explain the theodicies of Augustine and Irenaeus
B- There is no solution to the problem of evil and suffering. Discuss.
tbh that's not a bad question but I don't like the part B, what would you say for that?

Do you want ethics predictions yet?

Teleological and the moral argument both came up last year
Original post by nihil_nimis
Teleological and the moral argument both came up last year

Hey I'm just using the info my teacher gave me, and someone gave that to her
Original post by amalick1029

Teleological was asked last year with humes criticisms. Moral argument was also asked last year and reffered to innate moral awareness. This guy might be a bit off. I agree with your teacher tho.
Teleological was asked last year with humes criticisms. Moral argument was also asked last year and reffered to innate moral awareness. This guy might be a bit off. I agree with your teacher tho.

I just went with the info I have

Well thank God, I hate the moral argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending