Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vexated)
    epistemic distance, goodness of robots, soul making etc.
    is the goodness of robots talking about the need for free will?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackf1998)
    The form of the good is ultimate goodness, at the top of the hierarchy of the forms. Once we know and understand the form of the good we will understand everything, any act on earth is an imitation of the good. It is represented by the sun in the analogy, and just as the sun illuminates the world, the good illuminates the forms. The thing that all the forms have in common is their goodness, this is provided by the form of the good, as the goodness trickles down the hierarchy of forms.
    thank you its much clear now but wouldnt know how to write it as a 25marker

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jooosmooon)
    For the B part prediction which is assess the claim Plato doesn't value experience enough what would you write for this!!!!!
    +:
    - We have survived as a race for millions of years through the use of our senses
    - Experience is the only thing we can have a posteriori proof of
    - Aristotle's views on the forms
    - Are senses are the only concrete evidence we have- how can Plato state that we cannot trust them? We can verify things through our senses (analytic) whereas a priori reasoning is in essence synthetic

-:
    - Our senses can deceive us- for example I may have a different perception of colour to you
    - The world is constantly changing- how can we believe our senses when the world is entropic?
    - We are bound by the chains on what we believe in life- we may believe sensory experience to be the truth but in reality it isn't

Feel free to add, just my opinion. BTW strong copy and paste above lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bree_uk)
    Lets hope that we don't have to, but as I said previously- a large part of you answer will be context and detail. There is no way you can explain the form of the good without explaining the context of the forms, which would require the analogy of the cave to help you. Although a question may seem narrow, the key is to look at the bigger picture. Indeed one year there was a question "explain Mill's criticisms of the design argument"- there is no way you could get 25 marks by just explaining Mill

ReputationRep:
    Also do you get marked down for spelling errors??? And ONE more question (I'm just having a little panic) ... Does anyone know what the 2015 ocr as philosophy predictions were? Just so I know how accurate this years might be! Thanks :-)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips for full marks ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Emma99)
    is the goodness of robots talking about the need for free will?

Yeah pretty much.

If God had made us perfect we'd already love God - but this isn't love.

So in order to love we have to have the choice or it is not love (free will essentially).

You could combine with this Vardy's King/Peasant girl analogy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theama)
    wtf since when were there any teleo critisicisms of singer on the spec

He's in the textbooks but tbh he's not that important bc we weren't taught him. I was saying imagine if they put him in the exams bc they're evil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vexated)
    epistemic distance, goodness of robots, soul making etc.
    Can someone explain what epistemic distance and eschatological aspect/verification actually mean? I know how to use the words but is there any point in that when I don't know what they mean?

ReputationRep:
    Guys, does anyone know the philosophical investigations predictions for ETHICS?

ReputationRep:
    I would literally cry if Aristotle comes up again with HAPPINESS i think i'm the only one who loves writing an essay on him! I did a mock and only lost three marks on that and part B overall so i will literally praise the lord

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amalick1029)
    Can someone explain what epistemic distance and eschatological aspect/verification actually mean? I know how to use the words but is there any point in that when I don't know what they mean?
    •Epistemic distance – Argues there is anepistemic distance between humans and God. We are not BORN knowing of hisexistence and it is not something we can gain certain knowledge of. It can beseen as a battle to attain faith.
    •Eschatological Verification – We find out ‘truth’ afterdeath, in the afterlife. Many religious statements are based on the afterlifeso therefore can be verified within the afterlife. Parable of the celestialcity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JadeEllis4)
    Guys, does anyone know the philosophical investigations predictions for ETHICS?
    http://peped.org/philosophicalinvest...thics-2016-a2/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte_En)
    Plato developed his an analogy of the cave as a way of explaining his form theory though ?

Confusing

If the question is about Plato's forms, do not write a lot about the cave. The question that I thought she was answering was on Plato's forms not about the cave in specific. I messed up so bad in my mock by writing all about the cave.

ReputationRep:
    (In response to someone who asked how to answer the question "Assess the claim that Plato does not value experience enough.")

I would introduce it by explaining how Plato is a rationalist and so believes that we can discover truths via our minds rather than relying on our senses and the physical world which he believes to be unreliable (copies of ideal forms etc).

I would then use Aristotle, because he is an empiricist - meaning he relies on discovery of truths through the senses/experience and empirical evidence. You can contrast them both quite a bit.

I would perhaps also mention Kant. Although he doesn't directly reference Plato, he criticised the arguments put forward for the existence of God (teleological, Cosmo, onto etc) because of their approach. He specifically criticised the Ontological argument because it was based on a priori thinking whereas Kant argues that while we may deduce a sense of morality within ourselves, this is done through pure practical reason - which involves experience.

Perhaps there are more points to make.... But these are ones I would consider! Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bree_uk)
    You could relate it to his theory of the soul from A2 but only briefly? That would bulk up your argument and maybe give you some extra marks for extra knowledge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amalick1029)
    Epistemic distance literally means a distance in knowledge. This means we don't know if God's existence is certain. If we did then we would not be developing characteristics properly, since we would be acting morally out of fear of judgement/ wanting to please God/ get to heaven. God wants us to be genuinely loving and as such there must be a distance between us and God in order to develop our characteristics to the likeness of God's.
    No idea about your other part- is it religion and science? Unless you are referring to Hick's universal salvation idea, with soul making continuing after death?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethrosina)
    •Epistemic distance – Argues there is anepistemic distance between humans and God. We are not BORN knowing of hisexistence and it is not something we can gain certain knowledge of. It can beseen as a battle to attain faith.
    •Eschatological Verification – We find out ‘truth’ afterdeath, in the afterlife. Many religious statements are based on the afterlifeso therefore can be verified within the afterlife. Parable of the celestialcity.
    Ohmylord I love you thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethrosina)
    You could relate it to his theory of the soul from A2 but only briefly? That would bulk up your argument and maybe give you some extra marks for extra knowledge?
    Is the soul not on the spec for our year? We have learnt about it in class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackf1998)
    Epistemic distance literally means a distance in knowledge. This means we don't know if God's existence is certain. If we did then we would not be developing characteristics properly, since we would be acting morally out of fear of judgement/ wanting to please God/ get to heaven. God wants us to be genuinely loving and as such there must be a distance between us and God in order to develop our characteristics to the likeness of God's.
    No idea about your other part- is it religion and science? Unless you are referring to Hick's universal salvation idea, with soul making continuing after death?
    Thanks so so much
    I acc dk but Eschat. is mentioned in Irenaean theodicy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.