Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackf1998)
    Is the soul not on the spec for our year? We have learnt about it in class
    We never did it last year, only briefly. I managed to get a C on philosophy and an A in ethics and got a B overall with one mark off an A which is why im resitting but when i've put snippets in from A2 i've got more marks in practise papers so maybe we needed to know it. idk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amalick1029)
    Ohmylord I love you thanks so much
    If anyone needs anything else i've literally got a PP with 'nearly' everything for AS Philosophy on so...

ReputationRep:
    thank you ever so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethrosina)
    If anyone needs anything else i've literally got a PP with 'nearly' everything for AS Philosophy on so...
    Can you post it on here?

ReputationRep:
    The predictions are Plato, Ontological, Religion and Science (Intelligent Design) and Problem of Evil... The first two I would love but I'm not sure on the other two. What are you all thinking?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone summarise Hume's criticisms of the cosmological argument? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaperz13)
    The predictions are Plato, Ontological, Religion and Science (Intelligent Design) and Problem of Evil... The first two I would love but I'm not sure on the other two. What are you all thinking?
    I think everyone will go for the first two if true, meaning it's harder to score as high. I think I'd have a crack at PofE and Plato depending on the question and how narrow it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bethrosina)
    I think everyone will go for the first two if true, meaning it's harder to score as high. I think I'd have a crack at PofE and Plato depending on the question and how narrow it is
    I do not understand the idea behind this- an a grade answer is an a grade answer. The exam is not UMS based, surely it won't matter?

ReputationRep:
    how would you answer the question 'theres no solution to problem of evil and suffering' (10 marks),really struggling with counter argument with why there is a solution

ReputationRep:
    Third man argument ????

ReputationRep:
    I do not understand the idea behind this- an a grade answer is an a grade answer. The exam is not UMS based, surely it won't matter?
    I'm not sure? I've always been told by my subject teachers that they take a certain percentage of pupils for each grade. I suppose the way it works is that they have to justify how one piece of work gets one extra mark than another, and then they base the grade boundaries on how many pupils. I'm not sure, just going by what ive been told
    Suppose we all wrote an A grade answer in the exam, they couldn't reward everybody with an A, if that makes sense? And my teacher said they mark your answer to whatever question you do alongside others of this question to justify your mark. I suppose on that basis it might work? Not too sure though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexisnotalion)
    Can someone summarise Hume's criticisms of the cosmological argument? Thank you!
    -Cannot assume effect from cause. If I hail a bus to stop, the idea that it stops because I raised my hand is absurd. There can be many other reasons why it stopped
    - Fallacy of composition- just because we see cause and effect, does not mean the universe is caused
    - Why can the universe not be necessary instead of God?
    - Why can there be no infinite cause and effect?
    - Even if we accept to the argument, it still does not point to a JC God

ReputationRep:
    -Cannot assume effect from cause. If I hail a bus to stop, the idea that it stops because I raised my hand is absurd. There can be many other reasons why it stopped
    - Fallacy of composition- just because we see cause and effect, does not mean the universe is caused
    - Why can the universe not be necessary instead of God?
    - Why can there be no infinite cause and effect?
    - Even if we accept to the argument, it still does not point to a JC God
    You star thank you so so much!

ReputationRep:
    I tried to open the link on various devices, but it wont open does anyone know them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JadeEllis4)
    I tried to open the link on various devices, but it wont open does anyone know them?
    Won't load for me either but I had the page open from a few days ago -
    1.a. Explain the Natural Law theory of ethics.

b. “Natural Law theory is inflexible when considering issues surrounding abortion”. Discuss

Rationale: it’s about time we had natural law actually named in a question.

2. a. Contrast the utilitarianism of Mill with that of Singer.

b. “Singer’s utilitarianism is superior to Mill’s”. Discuss

Rationale: Singer isn’t mentioned very often but he’s in the syllabus. So why not this year do a contrast?

3. a. Explain a Kantian approach to issues surrounding going to war.

b. “Kant’s approach would guarantee peace”. Discuss

Rationale: I think war or pacifism is coming up this year. Why not link it to Kant, who after all wrote an essay on perpetual peace?

4. a. Explain what is meant by an absolute theory of ethics. (or – contrast absolute and relative theories of ethics).

b. “Absolute ethics is inflexible”. Discuss

Rationale: absolutism in a question hasn’t been asked for some time.

ReputationRep:
    Thats beilliant thanks so much, all four are LOVELY so lets hope they do come up 😊

(Original post by redraccoon;6493688o9)
    Won't load for me either but I had the page open from a few days ago -
    1.a. Explain the Natural Law theory of ethics.

b. “Natural Law theory is inflexible when considering issues surrounding abortion”. Discuss

Rationale: it’s about time we had natural law actually named in a question.

2. a. Contrast the utilitarianism of Mill with that of Singer.

b. “Singer’s utilitarianism is superior to Mill’s”. Discuss

Rationale: Singer isn’t mentioned very often but he’s in the syllabus. So why not this year do a contrast?

3. a. Explain a Kantian approach to issues surrounding going to war.

b. “Kant’s approach would guarantee peace”. Discuss

Rationale: I think war or pacifism is coming up this year. Why not link it to Kant, who after all wrote an essay on perpetual peace?

4. a. Explain what is meant by an absolute theory of ethics. (or – contrast absolute and relative theories of ethics).

b. “Absolute ethics is inflexible”. Discuss

Rationale: absolutism in a question hasn’t been asked for some time.

ReputationRep:
    good luck everyone x

ReputationRep:
    I wish the best of luck to you and hope that you understand that 'bad' results do not determine your worth when school expects people with different abilities to learn the same thing at the same speed.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone...

ReputationRep:
    What questions are meant to be coming up?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.