Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sianne4c)
    Predictions for tomorrow anyone ???!!??
    1.a. Explain the Natural Law theory of ethics.
    b. “Natural Law theory is inflexible when considering issues surrounding abortion”. Discuss
    2. a. Contrast the utilitarianism of Mill with that of Singer.
    b. “Singer’s utilitarianism is superior to Mill’s”. Discuss
    3. a. Explain a Kantian approach to issues surrounding going to war.
    b. “Kant’s approach would guarantee peace”. Discuss
    4. a. Explain what is meant by an absolute theory of ethics. (or – contrast absolute and relative theories of ethics)
    .b. “Absolute ethics is inflexible”. Discuss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by @Damzbobs)
    what is the beatific vision ?
    Beatific Vision is better understood in the light of Aristotle. Obviously, Aristotle had the concept of 'Eudaimonia' which is complete happiness achieved by living a virtuous life.

Aquinas took this concept forward but named it Beatific Vision, but instead of it being the definition that Aristotle described.. Aquinas described it as complete happiness and fulfilment achieved by experiencing the very essence of God. This occurs after death.

It's important that you know this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sianne4c)
    Predictions for tomorrow anyone ???!!??
    I don't think it will be euthanasia, kant, embryo research or natural law because they were all asked last year and the examiners report said they were answered well. In philosophy the examiners report said that the 2015 question on kant was answered badly hence asking it again in 2016. I'm going to revise Utilitarianism, war and peace, abortion, cloning and Christianity in general really well, and the others not so much,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennaelizaaa)
    I don't think it will be euthanasia, kant, embryo research or natural law because they were all asked last year and the examiners report said they were answered well. In philosophy the examiners report said that the 2015 question on kant was answered badly hence asking it again in 2016. I'm going to revise Utilitarianism, war and peace, abortion, cloning and Christianity in general really well, and the others not so much,

Could you post a link to the examiners report you looked at please. 😊

ReputationRep:
    How would people structure a question on the right to a child?

ReputationRep:
    i would start off with saying who has the right to a child eg homosexual couples/single parents/ old people and why some people would have a problem with that.
    then I'd go on to talk about the issues to do with IVF such as cost, success rates, spare embryos and availability
    you could also include other methods of infertility treatments such as artificial insemination by the husband and artificial insemination from a donor and then talk about the issues associated such as the sancity of marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me by outlining what should be mentioned in a part a question on Preference Utilitarianism? Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Intro:

Define "right" - moral or legal entitlement, universal, egalitarian
    Relate it to IVF
    Go through history (Patrick Steptoe, Louise Brown, etc)
    Talk about UK treatment (3 rounds, 23-39, infertile for 2 years)

For:

- Natural Rights
    - Autonomy of women
    - Normative ethics e.g. Situation, Utilitarianism

Against:

- Legal status (it is only a liberty, not a right. It never will be)
    - Naturalistic Fallacy (responds to Natural Rights)
    - Case studies of Old People e.g. Maria del Carmen Bousada
    - Normative ethics e.g. NML

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please clarify the principle of utility for me?

I learnt it as "the greatest good for the greatest number" or "the benefit to the majority of people".

However, upon research, it seems to be:

Moral acts promote pleasure/happiness.
    Immoral acts promote pain/unhappiness.

Which is correct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise12307)
    Hi all, today I completed this huge mindmap on the class board about Natural Law. Should be everything there that you could want to know about it! Including some strengths and weaknesses!

Attachment 538161

When you click on it, zoom in to wherever you like or save it! Hope this helps someone
    That is really odd. You've got lots of content there that I've never heard of, but at the same time, I've got loads about NML that you don't.

- Stoicism (including Zeno of Citium)
    - Niomachean Ethics
    - "Do Good. Avoid Evil." (Psalm 37:27)
    - Romans 2:15 - "the requirements of the law are written on their hearts"
    - Developing God's image based on Genesis 1:27
    - Reasons for the Primary Precepts (man is a social creature who must preserve life, reproduce and educate offspring, and has an inclination to know about God)
    - And I have completely different strengths and weaknesses.

At the same time, I've never learned about :

- Interior/Exterior Acts
    - Beatific Vision
    - Synderesis and Phronesis
    - Cicero

It is like we've learnt different theories.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain the doctrine of double effect?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lanterne Rouge)
    Can someone please clarify the principle of utility for me?

I learnt it as "the greatest good for the greatest number" or "the benefit to the majority of people".

However, upon research, it seems to be:

Moral acts promote pleasure/happiness.
    Immoral acts promote pain/unhappiness.

Which is correct?
    I was taught that it's the greatest good for the greatest number

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, how do you write an application question like benthams utilitarianism on abortion??? Please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whitbyyy)
    Can someone please explain the doctrine of double effect?
    It's a moral or good act even if it brings a bad consequence so long as these bad consequences are unintended. For example, using stem cell research to treat cancer on a pregnant woman would result in an abortion, the abortion is the unintended consequence of a good act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lanterne Rouge)
    That is really odd. You've got lots of content there that I've never heard of, but at the same time, I've got loads about NML that you don't.

- Stoicism (including Zeno of Citium)
    - Niomachean Ethics
    - "Do Good. Avoid Evil." (Psalm 37:27)
    - Romans 2:15 - "the requirements of the law are written on their hearts"
    - Developing God's image based on Genesis 1:27
    - Reasons for the Primary Precepts (man is a social creature who must preserve life, reproduce and educate offspring, and has an inclination to know about God)
    - And I have completely different strengths and weaknesses.

At the same time, I've never learned about :

- Interior/Exterior Acts
    - Beatific Vision
    - Synderesis and Phronesis
    - Cicero

It is like we've learnt different theories.
    Cicero is just a background person who influenced Aquinas. He said that God is all around us and that we all have within us a 'divine spark' that helps us to decipher what actions are right or wrong.

The exterior act is the act in itself and the interior act is the motive behind the act. Aquinas says that both interior and exterior acts have to be good - e.g. Give to charity (exterior act) because you want to help others (interior act).

Synderesis is having the innate knowledge of the primary precepts (what's right or wrong), given by God. Phronesis is the process of practical reason, that if done correctly, will lead us to carry out good acts.

Beatific vision is the goal, Aquinas says. It is complete fulfilment/happiness that's occurs after death by experiencing the very essence of God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayjayk89)
    hi guys, how do you write an application question like benthams utilitarianism on abortion??? Please help
    Analyse: Hedonic calculas (which say yes and no to abortion, could talk about quantity over quality), pleasure not happiness (for all involved even doctors), principle of utility (greatest good for greatest number doesn't matter), human life has no intrinsic value, mainly absolute (what about e.g. rape)

ReputationRep:
    I have 0 case studies, and was never taught the right to a child or IVF/embryo research so can someone summarize them for me and perhaps share some case studies, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone send me a really good essay explaining the natural law theory?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nihil_nimis)
    I have 0 case studies, and was never taught the right to a child or IVF/embryo research so can someone summarize them for me and perhaps share some case studies, thanks.
    Louise Brown was the first test tube baby in the 1970s, Iliescu had a child at 66, 27,000 couples receive fertility treatment each year, 1:10 succeed, costs £5000 to provide fertility treatment, Dianne Blood used her dead husband's sperm to conceive two children, Tommy Starling and Jeff Littlefield spent $150,000 on a surrogate so they could have a child, Bousada is the world's oldest mother at 67, 1:6 couples suffer from fertility troubles

ReputationRep:
    Predictions anyone???? Ive checked the philosophical investigations one but does anyone have any other predictions??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2016

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.