Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UCL v/s UCLA v/s University of Toronto for Pharmacology/Molecular Biology watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am an international student (from India). I got an offer from UCL for Biomedical Sciences (but I wish to transfer to Pharmacology after Year 1). I also have an offer from U of T for Pharmacology. I also got into UCLA for Molecular, Cell and Developmental Biology.

My questions are:

1) Which university has more international reputation?

2) Which university has better prospects worldwide (in terms of employment)?

3) What is the university experience like for each of them?

4) Which course is better in terms of job prospects?

Also, if anyone has transferred from BiomedSci to Pharmacology, can they please tell me what the process was like, how competitive it was, what hurdles you had to cross, what the prerequisites are, etc...

Please note that I am currently unsure about whether or not I want to attend medical school or not. If so, I would like to attend it in USA/Canada... so both regarding and disregarding that, which option do you think will be better?

All help will be very appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    1 - It may differ depending on where you are, but before I went for undergraduate studies (secondary school wasn't UK or North America based), I had heard more of UCLA and UT than UCL. In North America, people will have heard of UCLA and UT more, depending on whether they are in the US or Canada.

2 - For worldwide employment, I would say all three will be on par (will vary slightly depending on the field you are applying for a job in). Usually at the corporate level, it's more of a what have you done recently. If you've done well in your undergraduate studies, it usually isn't a big issue where the degree was from.

3 - Tough to answer. I'm not tight with people I know who went to UCL/UCLA. From when I visited UT Main campus, the feel is relaxed and students are fully capable of leaving campus at any given time. UT Mississauga is a bit more isolated than the main campus. Didn't visit UT Scarborough.

4 - Overall, I think BPharm has a few more doors open than BiomedSci, mostly because of the ability to become a license pharmacist. There are companies out there looking for BPharm graduates and not as willing to hire biomed grads. BPharm grads should also be able to apply to the biomed positions.

If you wish to attend medical school in NorAm, it would be easier to attend a NorAm university. Medical schools get a lot of applicants and usually only consider people from the same nation and its Northern/Southern neighbor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombiejon)
    1 - It may differ depending on where you are, but before I went for undergraduate studies (secondary school wasn't UK or North America based), I had heard more of UCLA and UT than UCL. In North America, people will have heard of UCLA and UT more, depending on whether they are in the US or Canada.

2 - For worldwide employment, I would say all three will be on par (will vary slightly depending on the field you are applying for a job in). Usually at the corporate level, it's more of a what have you done recently. If you've done well in your undergraduate studies, it usually isn't a big issue where the degree was from.

3 - Tough to answer. I'm not tight with people I know who went to UCL/UCLA. From when I visited UT Main campus, the feel is relaxed and students are fully capable of leaving campus at any given time. UT Mississauga is a bit more isolated than the main campus. Didn't visit UT Scarborough.

4 - Overall, I think BPharm has a few more doors open than BiomedSci, mostly because of the ability to become a license pharmacist. There are companies out there looking for BPharm graduates and not as willing to hire biomed grads. BPharm grads should also be able to apply to the biomed positions.

If you wish to attend medical school in NorAm, it would be easier to attend a NorAm university. Medical schools get a lot of applicants and usually only consider people from the same nation and its Northern/Southern neighbor.

Thank you so much for the comprehensive reply! xx

ReputationRep:
    Glad to help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.