Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Biology? Chemistry? English lit? Russian?
    Which is easier?
    Which is harder?
    Which is more interesting?
    Which opens options?
    Which is more respected?
    Studying with French and Politics. Can take 4 A levels.
    I don't know what I want to be when I'm older.
    Predicted A in bio, A Chem, A eng lit and don't do Russian but am predicted A*s in both French and German. Are 2 Lang A levels hard?
    Predicted 8A and 3A* at GCSE currently.
    Thanks in advance! 📚🎓📒🤔

ReputationRep:
    Bio, Chem, and Lit together would keep the most options open.

Science subjects really are fantastic for keeping options open - many subject require (two) science subjects, but few subjects say you need to have done something other than Science.

And Lit is just better than Russian because it's an essay subject and there are few subjects which require you to have a Russian A Level.

ReputationRep:
    Well to be honest, it's all down to personal opinion really... So I can only tell you from my perspective. I did chemistry, biology and English lit and I found chemistry to be harder than biology but again that's my personal opinion. To me, a lot of the content in biology for just memerisation of the facts and then applying it to the question whereas chemistry there's lot of calculations for a start, so being capable with maths helps! The questions also just seems to be harder as to me it requires much more application of knowledge than biology. I find difficulty comparing STEM and humanities subjects in difficulty but you really need to enjoy the subject as there is greater independent study, involving reading and investing the texts in your own time. I would say it was my hardest a-level to get consistent grades in due to the nature of the subject as it isn't right and wrong answers like in STEM subjects. It was my easiest to get a good grade in though surprisingly as I could never predict what I would get in those types of exams. I can't say much about languages as I did not study them but I know that they are meant to be one of the harder choices for a-level and the junk from GCSE to a-level tends to be quite significant compared to other subjects (from what I heard from other people)
    From your predicted grades it would seem you are capable of studying any of the subjects you have suggested but it all depends on what you have a preference for really.
    All of these subjects are well-respected and to be honest, I don't believe you should care about all that, just do whatever you want to do regardless of other people's opinions.
    I can't really answer the rest of your questions or this post would be far too long!!! Good luck with everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Bio, Chem, and Lit together would keep the most options open.

Science subjects really are fantastic for keeping options open - many subject require (two) science subjects, but few subjects say you need to have done something other than Science.

And Lit is just better than Russian because it's an essay subject and there are few subjects which require you to have a Russian A Level.
    Okay thank you so much! Will definitely do bio and maybe chem as well as French and idk what! 😃

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lkathryn08)
    Well to be honest, it's all down to personal opinion really... So I can only tell you from my perspective. I did chemistry, biology and English lit and I found chemistry to be harder than biology but again that's my personal opinion. To me, a lot of the content in biology for just memerisation of the facts and then applying it to the question whereas chemistry there's lot of calculations for a start, so being capable with maths helps! The questions also just seems to be harder as to me it requires much more application of knowledge than biology. I find difficulty comparing STEM and humanities subjects in difficulty but you really need to enjoy the subject as there is greater independent study, involving reading and investing the texts in your own time. I would say it was my hardest a-level to get consistent grades in due to the nature of the subject as it isn't right and wrong answers like in STEM subjects. It was my easiest to get a good grade in though surprisingly as I could never predict what I would get in those types of exams. I can't say much about languages as I did not study them but I know that they are meant to be one of the harder choices for a-level and the junk from GCSE to a-level tends to be quite significant compared to other subjects (from what I heard from other people)
    From your predicted grades it would seem you are capable of studying any of the subjects you have suggested but it all depends on what you have a preference for really.
    All of these subjects are well-respected and to be honest, I don't believe you should care about all that, just do whatever you want to do regardless of other people's opinions.
    I can't really answer the rest of your questions or this post would be far too long!!! Good luck with everything.
    Thanks so much! Really helpful! Will do bio, still unsure about Chem. 😃

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.