Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a non-law graduate and I want to work as a lawyer in Northern Ireland.
    Given that nowhere in Northern Ireland one can take a GDL, I was wondering if there was the possibility of taking the GDL elsewhere in the UK and subsequently taking the "institute Exam" in Ireland.
    In addition to the fact that I want to live in Northern Ireland, vocational training there takes 2 years as opposed to 3 years in England and Wales, so I see no reason to go for an LPC, etc. Another advantage is that admission is largely based on an exam (tutors should be easy to get if you pass the exam?) and not as much on connections and interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plstudent)
    I'm a non-law graduate and I want to work as a lawyer in Northern Ireland.
    Given that nowhere in Northern Ireland one can take a GDL, I was wondering if there was the possibility of taking the GDL elsewhere in the UK and subsequently taking the "institute Exam" in Ireland.
    In addition to the fact that I want to live in Northern Ireland, vocational training there takes 2 years as opposed to 3 years in England and Wales, so I see no reason to go for an LPC, etc. Another advantage is that admission is largely based on an exam (tutors should be easy to get if you pass the exam?) and not as much on connections and interviews.
    If you were to take the GDL, then it would only mean taking the solicitor route for England and Wales, which would mean having to take the LPC and training contract before transferring to Northern Ireland.

Instead of doing the GDL, why don't you take the non-law route instead for Northern Ireland? It states on the site that you can take the Masters of Legal Science degree at QUB in order to qualify for the non-law route.

(Original post by Law Society of Northern Ireland)
    Regulation 8(2) of the Solicitors Admission and Training Regulations 1988 as amended

An applicant using this route must

(a) satisfy the Society that he/she possesses an acceptable degree in a discipline other than law and has attained a satisfactory level of knowledge of the following subjects:

Constitutional Law
    Law of Tort
    Law of Contract
    Criminal Law
    Equity
    European Law
    Land Law
    Law of Evidence
    Please note that students who commenced their degree course prior to September 1996 should have Company Law as a core subject. Company Law has now been replaced by European Law (see above).

(b) that he/she has been offered a place in the Institute.

(c) have obtained a Master (a solicitor with whom the applicant proposes to serve his/her apprenticeship).

For applicants using the above route the Masters of Legal Science awarded by Queen's University, Belfast will be accepted as sufficient evidence of the satisfactory level of knowledge of the relevant subjects. All enquiries regarding this course should be directed to the School of Law, Queen's University, Belfast.
    Here's the link to go about this: http://www.lawsoc-ni.org/joining-the-legal-profession/.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero_gravity)
    If you were to take the GDL, then it would only mean taking the solicitor route for England and Wales, which would mean having to take the LPC and training contract before transferring to Northern Ireland.

Instead of doing the GDL, why don't you take the non-law route instead for Northern Ireland? It states on the site that you can take the Masters of Legal Science degree at QUB in order to qualify for the non-law route.

Here's the link to go about this: http://www.lawsoc-ni.org/joining-the-legal-profession/.
    From that link:

---------------------------------------------
    1. THE LAW DEGREE ROUTE
    Solicitors Admission and Training Regulations 1988 as amended [Regulation 8(1)].An applicant using this route must, before being accepted as a student of the Society establish to the Society's satisfaction: -(a) that he/she possesses an acceptable law degree and
    (b) that he/she has been offered a place in the Institute of Professional Legal Studies
    (c) have obtained a Master (a solicitor with whom the applicant proposes to serve his/her apprenticeship).Please note that the applicant's law degree must contain eight core subjects (see below). Those applicants who have not been examined in the Law of Evidence should advise the Society and the Institute at the time of the relevant application so that arrangements can be made for them to sit the appropriate examination.A list of recognised law degrees can be found on the Institute's website.[/b]All applicants to the Institute must sit an entrance examination in the December prior to the year they wish to take up a place at the Institute. All prospective applicants who wish to sit the entrance examination must apply to sit the exam.It should be noted that applications must be submitted and received by the Institute of Professional Legal Studies by 15th November.
    ------------------------------------------------

I guess it boils down to whether the GDL would be considered a "recognised law degree" or not. Of course the link to the list of recognised law degrees is not working...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.