Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    this is probably such a daft question because everyone i have spoken to doesn't seem confused. So in class we learn that if your heart is stronger (because you are fitter), your heart is more efficient because it can pump more blood in one go, and your blood pressure is lower. What i don't get it why would your blood pressure be lower if more blood is being pushed out in the same amount of time . Wouldn't that just create more pressure in the arteries? I've been confused ever since, thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee.02)
    Hey guys,
    this is probably such a daft question because everyone i have spoken to doesn't seem confused. So in class we learn that if your heart is stronger (because you are fitter), your heart is more efficient because it can pump more blood in one go, and your blood pressure is lower. What i don't get it why would your blood pressure be lower if more blood is being pushed out in the same amount of time . Wouldn't that just create more pressure in the arteries? I've been confused ever since, thanks xx
    It's not a daft question, I think its a bit counter-intuitive really:
    When someone has done lots of training their heart becomes stronger and more efficient. This in turn allows them to improve in whatever physical activity they are training in. While they are training their heart rate increases due to increased demand of O2.
    However, when they are at rest the heart rate slows again. Since the heart is stronger it can beat at a slower rate leading to a lower blood pressure.

ReputationRep:
    It could pump more blood around the body if it needed to. But it doesn't.

Cardiovascular adaptations are not limited to the heart, furthermore. Arteries become less stiff, they relax more, capillaries are more efficient at delivering blood.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, that makes a whole lot more sense, so does a slower rate also mean a lower blood pressure then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee.02)
    Ah, that makes a whole lot more sense, so does a slower rate also mean a lower blood pressure then?
    Hmm not really as simple as that as your stroke volume will tend to proportionately increase and the other things I mentioned, especially how constricted the blood vessels are, will tend to compensate.... if you want to be very simple about things though then I guess you could think of it like that yes. It certainly is true that if the body wants to increase how hard the heart is pushing part of that response is to go faster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Hmm not really as simple as that as your stroke volume will tend to proportionately increase and the other things I mentioned, especially how constricted the blood vessels are, will tend to compensate.... if you want to be very simple about things though then I guess you could think of it like that yes. It certainly is true that if the body wants to increase how hard the heart is pushing part of that response is to go faster.
    ah right i see, hopefully i will be able to explain things a lot better now haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.