Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Boris Johnson lavishes praise on Putin and Assad watch

ReputationRep:
    OK one thing I like about BoJo is that he doesn't just trot out the establishment line on things but sometimes his tendency to exaggerate means he talks some right bollsocks.

Look at this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...from-Isil.html

It has been Putin who with a ruthless clarity has come to the defence of his client, and helped to turn the tide. If reports are to be believed, the Russians have not only been engaged in air strikes against Assad’s opponents, but have been seen on the ground as well. If Putin’s troops have helped winkle the maniacs from Palmyra, then (it pains me to admit) that is very much to the credit of the Russians. They have made the West look ineffective; and so now is the time for us to make amends, and to play to our strengths.
    Is this official government policy Boris? To say that Putin's intervention in Russia is good?

I cannot conceal my elation as the news comes in from Palmyra and it is reported that the Syrian army is genuinely back in control of the entire Unesco site.

There may be booby traps in the ruins, but the terrorists are at last on the run. Hooray, I say. Bravo – and keep going. Yes, I know. Assad is a monster, a dictator. He barrel-bombs his own people. His jails are full of tortured opponents. He and his father ruled for generations by the application of terror and violence – and yet there are at least two reasons why any sane person should feel a sense of satisfaction at what Assad’s troops have accomplished.
    We've been down this road before of "the enemy's enemy is my friend", notably with Saddam, and cheered when he used chemical weapons on Iranians in the Iran-Iraq war, as this looked like it was checking the risk of Khomenei's expansionist Shia fundamentalist ideology spreading west through the MIddle East. Apart from then we ended up having to contain a heavily armed and emboldened Saddam who started turning his attention to Western oil interests in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

Now I understand BoJo's line of thinking here, that it might be better (at least for us) to have Assad prevailing over Islamic State, as IS are a more direct threat to the West. However this kind of language is not the language of a statesmanlike politician, shamelessly admitting all the bad things Assad does and then saying bravo old chap.

This is my big worry about BoJo becoming PM. He's not really mature enough for the role. He likes the idea of being a journalist/TV personality but he's going to end up being viewed as a naive joker by the likes of Putin.

Assad and his mate Putin are not our friends, lets be clear about this. If Assad gets a victory over Islamic State, knowing he has the backing of Putin, he is going to become a more powerful force in the region and this will concern other Arab states not least Saudi Arabia, as Assad is also the main regional ally of Iran and this starts to shift the power balance in the Middle East towards the Iranians.

Assad and Iran, backed up by Putin, are not going to be working in the interests of peace and prosperity in the Middle East and well disposed to Europe and the USA so lets tone down the chummy praise, even if we might not mind the fact that they might be able to deal with Islamic State.

ReputationRep:
    It's easy to talk rubbish when it doesn't effect you, once Boris gets into power he would see how it would completely undermine British interests in the region to have someone like Putin being the dominant player. The funny thing is, this demonstrates in a way that he is simply not clever or strong enough to deal with him.

ReputationRep:
    If Trump gets elected he will get along with Mr Putin. Obama's administration has not only helped destabilize Middle East further but Europe too with their backed coup in Ukraine. The media only blames Russia, including the Guardian who are huge NATO shills. This is why the establishment fears Donald Trump because he will be difficult for them to control unlike Obama and Hillary.

They supported an extremely violent coup to oust a Democratically elected leader. They put people into power who were not picked by Ukrainians but nameless people in Washington.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ✌Trump2016✌)
    If Trump gets elected he will get along with Mr Putin.
    No Putin will just laugh at Trump if he tries to chummy up to Putin thinking that Putin will be impressed by him making outrageous statements.

Putin is a ruthless operator who puts Russian interests first. If Trump serves Russian aims then Putin will make use of that but he is not going to be impressed or think of Trump as a tough guy just because he talks crap.

Putin is used to dealing with characters like Trump in Russian domestic politics, there are a lot of big ego wannabes who like big talk but are clearly unsuited to the role of international politics and Putin tramples all over them.

Putin will also know that Trump will be destabilising to the West as he will isolate the US from Europe and also from its influence in the Middle East as can be seen by his twitter wars with the Saudi royals. When Russia is extending its influence in the Middle East to have the US become marginalised is only going to serve Putin and Russia.

I expect he would love to see Trump as US president and Boris as UK Prime Minister, especially if the UK is leaving the EU, it will create big problems in the west and allow Russian influence to fill a vacuum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    OK one thing I like about BoJo is that he doesn't just trot out the establishment line on things but sometimes his tendency to exaggerate means he talks some right bollsocks.

Look at this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...from-Isil.html

Is this official government policy Boris? To say that Putin's intervention in Russia is good?

We've been down this road before of "the enemy's enemy is my friend", notably with Saddam, and cheered when he used chemical weapons on Iranians in the Iran-Iraq war, as this looked like it was checking the risk of Khomenei's expansionist Shia fundamentalist ideology spreading west through the MIddle East. Apart from then we ended up having to contain a heavily armed and emboldened Saddam who started turning his attention to Western oil interests in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.

Now I understand BoJo's line of thinking here, that it might be better (at least for us) to have Assad prevailing over Islamic State, as IS are a more direct threat to the West. However this kind of language is not the language of a statesmanlike politician, shamelessly admitting all the bad things Assad does and then saying bravo old chap.

This is my big worry about BoJo becoming PM. He's not really mature enough for the role. He likes the idea of being a journalist/TV personality but he's going to end up being viewed as a naive joker by the likes of Putin.

Assad and his mate Putin are not our friends, lets be clear about this. If Assad gets a victory over Islamic State, knowing he has the backing of Putin, he is going to become a more powerful force in the region and this will concern other Arab states not least Saudi Arabia, as Assad is also the main regional ally of Iran and this starts to shift the power balance in the Middle East towards the Iranians.

Assad and Iran, backed up by Putin, are not going to be working in the interests of peace and prosperity in the Middle East and well disposed to Europe and the USA so lets tone down the chummy praise, even if we might not mind the fact that they might be able to deal with Islamic State.
    I'm very impressed to see a British politician supporting Putin. Its something you rarely see. Russia is the only country that is bring Syria to a peaceful solution.

Although I'm pro EU , I totally support Boris on this!

ReputationRep:
    Your countries are being invaded by all the Middle East now because of Washington, NATO foreign policy but even then some of the Western media blame Russia for that.

If we just left the Middle East alone everything would be fine!

Who does all this benefit?

European populations are destroyed because of mass non-European immigration. Countries surrounding Israel are all being divided up and weakened.

I'm thinking others like Turkey and Saudi Arabia have their own interests in all this but I often see people totally ignore Israels involvement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    Russia is the only country that is bring Syria to a peaceful solution.
    I doubt that Russia has really brought / is bringing Syria to a peaceful solution. My opinion anyway ...
    However, thank you for your nice positive comments about my country, I appreciate it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.