Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiniNats91)
    hey. Im starting at bucks too in September. a little stressed though as we still haven't found out where our placements are and I need to look for accommodation
    Hi Mininats91,

I am hoping they tell us were we are going on Monday so that I can organise myself.

ReputationRep:
    Weenaqotw

Which part of Surrey do you live. I am in Knaphill. Perhaps we will catch up on Monday on the preinduction day

ReputationRep:
    I think they have left it a little late with the change of location. I mean living in halls would have been okay but how do they expect nursing/odp students to live there if they aren't permitted to have a car anywhere in HW yet need to be able to get to placements.

Finding out where placements are at this short notice and needing to find housing is ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MiniNats91)
    I think they have left it a little late with the change of location. I mean living in halls would have been okay but how do they expect nursing/odp students to live there if they aren't permitted to have a car anywhere in HW yet need to be able to get to placements.

Finding out where placements are at this short notice and needing to find housing is ridiculous

Posted from TSR Mobile
    MiniNats,

The placements will be in October, so you have two months to sort out a place. You might find other people in the group that are in the same situation and they might want to house share with you. Hope that helps.x

ReputationRep:
    That's true but I live in Hitchin, Hertfordshire which is neither near high Wycombe or Oxford (the placement I hope to get) so I wanted to move before we start.

I'm just going to stop stressing about that for now though, I'm quite excited to meet everybody next week!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sichibubu)
    Weenaqotw

Which part of Surrey do you live. I am in Knaphill. Perhaps we will catch up on Monday on the preinduction day
    Hi, I'm in Egham so not too far from you 😊

ReputationRep:
    Hello ladies,
    I am pretty much a newbee here so any kind of help will be truly appreciated. I am considering ODP studies, currently working as a dental nurse in hospital. Would like to know if anyone is willing to share how did you organize your time home/work and how.are you working out your fiancies as not having income for the time while I study and plus a student loan to cover the tuition fees - seems like a scary scenario to me. Are there any options to work atleast part time or something else to cover the living costs??
    Many thanks
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by NewGirlInTown78)
    Hello ladies,
    I am pretty much a newbee here so any kind of help will be truly appreciated. I am considering ODP studies, currently working as a dental nurse in hospital. Would like to know if anyone is willing to share how did you organize your time home/work and how.are you working out your fiancies as not having income for the time while I study and plus a student loan to cover the tuition fees - seems like a scary scenario to me. Are there any options to work atleast part time or something else to cover the living costs??
    Many thanks
    Hi NewGirlInTown78

Thanks for your message, it's great news that you're interested in studying at Bucks.

I can't answer your questions from an ODP students perspective, but hopefully I can give some general advice, as I've just had a chat to the course leader for our ODP programme about your questions

In terms of finances, you should be able to apply for a tuition fee loan to cover the fees for the course, and you may also apply for a maintenance loan which will help towards living costs. The amount that you can borrow for this part of the scheme is means tested, so this will depend on your household income. I'd recommend having a look at the fees and funding section on our website which has more information.

With reference to your question about part-time work, the course leader has advised that it is quite hard to do while on the ODP course, as your clinical placement will be a minimum of 37.5 hours per week and makes up at least 60% of the course. Some students do look for temporary work on the weekend or in the evenings, however the course leader did stress the importance of downtime and not overworking yourself! It was suggested perhaps you may be able to find bank or agency work as a dental nurse, however during the week you would either be at the university of in clinical practice at the hospital.

We do have a Student Ambassador scheme which may be of interest to you - this is a completely flexible role which allows you to sign up to as much or as little work as you like, which will allow you to fit work around your studies. You could be working at open days, events, doing office support work or representing the university at schools or colleges. It's a great opportunity to learn new skills, meet other students and add work experience to your CV, as well as earning a bit of money on the side!

Sorry this has turned in to a rather long post - but I hope this helps you! If you'd like more information or to meet the course leaders and current students, we do have an open day next weekend (21 October) which I'd definitely recommend coming along to if you can. Just register your details on our website and we'll send you more information about the event.

Let me know if you have any other questions, and good luck!

Laura
    Bucks New University

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.