Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been looking at uni requirements for the IB and they're so ridiculously high compared to A Levels , considering how much harder the IB is than A Levels! Can someone please explain to me why this is the case ... thanks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Which universities are you looking at? IB requirements are generally lower than A level requirements at most universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    Which universities are you looking at? IB requirements are generally lower than A level requirements at most universities.
    For instance , I was looking at English Literature (BA) at Cambridge and Durham.

Both unis are A*AA at A Level , but 41 and 38 respectively for IB ... the IB requirement looks a lot more difficult in my opinion (despite the UCAS points being similar)

ReputationRep:
    I would have to agree with Calswim. There are some universities that will just ignore the IB converstion suggested by UCAS and make up their own. I hope I remember this right, but 30 IB points are something like 392 UCAS points. Some universities will just adopt their own system and say that they believe 30 IB points are worth only 300 UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad)
    For instance , I was looking at English Literature (BA) at Cambridge and Durham.

Both unis are A*AA at A Level , but 41 and 38 respectively for IB ... the IB requirement looks a lot more difficult in my opinion (despite the UCAS points being similar)
    How can you judge the A level requirement as 'easier' if you haven't even completed A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    How can you judge the A level requirement as 'easier' if you haven't even completed A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Many teachers say that the overall workload is higher in the IB compared to A levels (Even if you assume that the core subject difficulty is equal, which I dont think it is).

The IB also includes extra curricular but mandatory work areas, such as Community and Service (Community, Action, Service) which are extremely silly in my view. Most people just try to complete their CAS stuff as fast as possible. There are a few forms you can fill out once completed, and in one section it asks "how did your project change you as a person?" .... well...sorry to say, not at all mate.

In the end it comes down to personal performance in A levels and the IB. Some poeple just fly through it, others not so much. I think the IB might be slightly more "difficult" in the long run, but there's certainly no huge gap.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.