Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I need some help on my essay. I have to write an essay ' explaining the role of the endocrine glands, the hormones they produce and the changes/action they cause '.

I basically have to cover:
    -the role of the main hormones and name of the endocrine glands which produce them.
    -explain the bloodstream's role in the process.
    -explain the functions of the major hormones of the endocrine system. (thyroid gland and pancreas )

I've only achieved 40% in my past three essays ut this is the last one and it will effect my place at uni, I just need some help how to write it and how to keep it clear.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliipaciino)
    Hi

I need some help on my essay. I have to write an essay ' explaining the role of the endocrine glands, the hormones they produce and the changes/action they cause '.

-the role of the main hormones and name of the endocrine glands which produce them.
    -explain the functions of the major hormones of the endocrine system. (thyroid gland and pancreas )

I've only achieved 40% in my past three essays ut this is the last one and it will effect my place at uni, I just need some help how to write it and how to keep it clear.

Thank you
    I would always advise writing an essay plan before you actually write the essay.

First of all, make a list of key words / concepts that you already know of under three headings (the three things that you have to cover). Then do some further research (text books, internet, etc.) and add more detail to those lists. Then arrange it in a comprehensible manner, such that the topics flow well. Then actually make the lists into prose text.

If you want to seem really smart, look up Harvard referencing and reference where you got your information from.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliipaciino)
    Hi

Thank you
    I agree with thegodofgod when it comes to planning, I wouldn't necessarily use Harvard referencing (unless this is coursework rather than exam practice). I just thought I would give you a couple of extra pointers:

PLAN:
    I would start by listing the endocrine glands you know about, I can't remember which are covered at A-level (Uni student here ) but possibly: endocrine pancreas, thyroid/parathyroid, pituitary, adrenal etc. I would them list the hormones produced by each gland and note which organ or system they act on and what the result is.
    Make a couple of notes for the blood stream part as well

STRUCTURE:
    I would start with an intro outlining the glands and hormones you will cover and talk about blood stream at this point (as its very basic and could be covered in a couple of sentences), given its relevant to the whole essay (see note about pituitary below).
    Then I would do a paragraph on each gland, talking about the hormone produced and the mechanism of action of the hormone and the end result of the hormone.

I'm not sure if you have studied this or not, if not ignore it but I just thought I would mention it in case its a coursework essay (or aiming for the top marks by inducing material not on the syllabus): half of the pituitary has a portal system of capillaries with releasing hormones which cause the release of the target hormones. It is a bit complicated but would be a good example of the role of the blood stream.

I hope that helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.