Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am a student from the EU and I am currently waiting for replies from 3 Danish universities.

To get straight to the point: in order to make my final decision regarding the uni choice I need to have full information on the living costs and conditions in Denmark, more specifically:

1. Renting an apparment
    2. Buying food supply for a week/month
    3. Transport
    4. And any prices that would give me a general idea: eating out, going out, healthcare, etc.

Also I would like to know if my lack of danish would be a big problem at all, of course I am planning on learning it eventually, and if people are generally welcoming of foreigners. I know information may differ in different areas but I would like to have a rough idea at least right now. Also you're very welcome to share any personal experience or give any extra information.

I really appreciate any piece of information so thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
    Bee
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I suggest you email the Danish university in question, they are much better placed to give financial information to international students. You haven't said where in Denmark you will be living but perhaps Ronove can help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    I suggest you email the Danish university in question, they are much better placed to give financial information to international students. You haven't said where in Denmark you will be living but perhaps Ronove can help?
    Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, I think that contacting the uni regarding these is a very good idea, I haven't thought of that. Thanks a lot for directing me to Ronove as well.

Bee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bee_homem)
    Hello, I am a student from the EU and I am currently waiting for replies from 3 Danish universities.

To get straight to the point: in order to make my final decision regarding the uni choice I need to have full information on the living costs and conditions in Denmark, more specifically:

1. Renting an apparment
    2. Buying food supply for a week/month
    3. Transport
    4. And any prices that would give me a general idea: eating out, going out, healthcare, etc.

Also I would like to know if my lack of danish would be a big problem at all, of course I am planning on learning it eventually, and if people are generally welcoming of foreigners. I know information may differ in different areas but I would like to have a rough idea at least right now. Also you're very welcome to share any personal experience or give any extra information.

I really appreciate any piece of information so thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
    Bee
    1. The accommodation situation in the Copenhagen area is insane. I mean absolutely insane. There are people who live on sofas for months or who rent a room for two months and then have to move again because there is such a shortage. It's normal to pay 4500 DKK a month for a smallish room with access to bathroom/kitchen. I don't know much about prices in other cities. Thankfully transport is very convenient so you can look a little further out. As a student you can get a travel card if you live far out enough to warrant the price (currently about 630 DKK... IIRC - shows how carefully I check my online statements).
    2. We probably spend about 3000 DKK a month on food between two of us, though we're not particularly careful about it. It's definitely more expensive than the UK.
    3. Transport is pretty great really. I don't really think about the cost though because it's such a necessity and I've lived here a good while.

Meals out and nasty take away food is ridiculously expensive compared to the UK. Take away food is pretty dreadful in terms of greasiness and meat quality. I'm somewhat used to it now but it has taken several years. Alcohol isn't particularly more expensive than in the UK IMO. Not sure about buying it in bars etc though, not really my thing. In supermarkets etc though it's about the same as in the UK. Selection in supermarkets generally is far less than in the UK. I've had to change what I eat quite dramatically.

Not speaking Danish shouldn't be a huge problem. As for how you will feel you get treated by Danes, I'm not sure. It's not all been sunshine and rainbows for me, and I'm white. It's a very inward-looking country. I wouldn't choose to move here again, there are better places for foreigners.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.