Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

So I've got to that part of AS Drama and Theatre Studies (Edexcel) where I have to choose a 2 minute monologue. I'm so stuck for ideas! If anyone could give me some suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

I want to do a dramatic monologue (definitely no comedy!) and I would like it to be in a 'story telling style', i.e. I'm not playing a character in the midst of the action, but a character talking about the action that's already happened. For example:

Alice: One day at choir, suddenly I’m outside of everything.I look at the girl next to me and I can see the little bits of spit in the corners of her mouth as it chews the words, in perfect time with all the other mouths.It’s like an impossible skipping game – I can’t get back in.I stopped going to choir.And driving... I was learning with a woman called Dawn who sucked mint imperials all the time, which made me feel a bit sick but we were getting on really well.Then one day she has this new air freshener...

(^ I can't do that monologue because the play isn't published)

I'd prefer the emotion of the monologue to be a little sad/emotional rather than happy or extremely angry.

The play must be published with an ISBN number.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamlouise)
    Hi,

So I've got to that part of AS Drama and Theatre Studies (Edexcel) where I have to choose a 2 minute monologue. I'm so stuck for ideas! If anyone could give me some suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

I want to do a dramatic monologue (definitely no comedy!) and I would like it to be in a 'story telling style', i.e. I'm not playing a character in the midst of the action, but a character talking about the action that's already happened. For example:

Alice: One day at choir, suddenly I’m outside of everything.I look at the girl next to me and I can see the little bits of spit in the corners of her mouth as it chews the words, in perfect time with all the other mouths.It’s like an impossible skipping game – I can’t get back in.I stopped going to choir.And driving... I was learning with a woman called Dawn who sucked mint imperials all the time, which made me feel a bit sick but we were getting on really well.Then one day she has this new air freshener...

(^ I can't do that monologue because the play isn't published)

I'd prefer the emotion of the monologue to be a little sad/emotional rather than happy or extremely angry.

The play must be published with an ISBN number.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you
    Anne Bronte monologue in the play Bronte by Polly Teale. That starts with 'do you ever wonder what our lives might have been...' and she's talking to her sister, Charlotte, about why they write and about her desire sometimes to be part of the throng of people doing physical things. Also look at Precious Little Talent by Ella Hickson - there's a monologue at the end that would probably be suitable. I mentioned these monologues the other day in another thread because they're the ones I used for an audition last month, but I think they both fit your specifications.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.