Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm almost certainly not going to get a summer placement, what should I do instead? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by y0_3mma)
    Anyway, I think it's waaay easier to get an engineering graduate job (compared to others)! There are sooo many, literally hundreds of vacancies and they really need engineers! Every time I want to apply for a graduate job, only engineering everywhere.. and it's sad because even though i'm studying engineering, i am looking for other jobs.

Wow, that's depressing. I can't get one internship at even the smallest company, for free. Jesus, there must be thousands of engineering students who graduate in chemical engineering alone every year, I'm f***ed. My dad did warn that anyone who isn't genius or isn't the son of some rich bloke would struggle in university.

Well, this is a rather worrying realization in the run up to my spring exams. I should've never asked in the first place, this is genuinely making me a little sad. God, 18 grand I've already burdened myself with for a worthless degree already. Well, I don't know how to lock threads but uh I think this is might have come to end.

Thanks to everyone who tried to answer the question, best of luck for the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neuromancer1)
    I'm not an engineering student (sorry OP!) but I found this interesting and wanted to ask you a quick question if that's okay. I was looking for a lab placement and as usual the big companies are very competitive but I haven't found many smaller ones posting application forms or anything. Does this apply only if they advertise placements or can you kind of nudge them with an email and a CV and ask if they can take you on?

To OP, maybe ask your professors if they could place you in one of their labs for the summer, even to shadow? I'm not sure how engineering placements would work like that but at least for something biomedical that kind of thing is possible. It'd be worth a shot I'd say.
    Email university professors/ ask your lecturers/ look at options abroad - I got a placement this summer in China working in a lab and it seems that there are a lot of opportunities in China if you look around. Other unis in China I emailed all said they would consider students as long as they could arrange with a particular researcher to work with them, although I ended up going with a more organised program at SJTU. Things abroad don't tend to be so well paid (I'll probably just cover basic living expenses this summer) but are a fantastic experience to have on your CV.

OP - also look into summer schools as well as making speculative applications, I've know many friends who have had success this way and having that initial experience will help so much when applying for internships at bigger companies next year

I run a website, www.stemboost.co.uk, which lists many of these summer course opportunities as well as an advice section on what to do with your summer, check in out
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by SgtPugsey)
    Wow, that's depressing. I can't get one internship at even the smallest company, for free. Jesus, there must be thousands of engineering students who graduate in chemical engineering alone every year, I'm f***ed. My dad did warn that anyone who isn't genius or isn't the son of some rich bloke would struggle in university.

Well, this is a rather worrying realization in the run up to my spring exams. I should've never asked in the first place, this is genuinely making me a little sad. God, 18 grand I've already burdened myself with for a worthless degree already. Well, I don't know how to lock threads but uh I think this is might have come to end.

Thanks to everyone who tried to answer the question, best of luck for the future.
    Internships are a lot harder to get than graduate jobs, trust me, there's hardly any available so they only go to the best of the best while grad jobs are given out like domino's at a fresher's fair. Also they can't hire you for free, that's illegal, so offering to just screams desperation.

Just because its not paying off during your study doesn't mean it's worthless, you need to wait until it's completed to make that call, and even then to non-engineering companies it still won't be worthless.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SgtPugsey)

Now you're just being unnecessarily negative. As Helloworld_95 says, internships are generally more competitive, as companies generally take on less interns than they do graduates. In fact some companies do not take on any interns. Therefore, every year there are many people graduating without internships under their belt who get jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Advice would be greatly appreciated, I've been asked by a potential supervisor to come in 'to discuss' for a summer placement and I don't know if I should try and prepare something incase it's like an interview.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by anita-573)
    Hi
    Advice would be greatly appreciated, I've been asked by a potential supervisor to come in 'to discuss' for a summer placement and I don't know if I should try and prepare something incase it's like an interview.

Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Normally I would say you shouldn't need to prepare that much because that kind of language usually means they're just checking that you're not a psychopath, however I've recently had a meeting for a summer placement where they said it would be an 'informal chat' and it ended up being a rather intensive interview. I'm fairly confident this is a red flag for the company rather than a fault on my part but not confident enough to recommend that a situation like that means you should stay away.

So my recommendation would be to prepare. Worst case scenario you learn a bit more about the company and how to portray yourself in an interview, best case it makes the difference between getting the job and not getting it..

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.