Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Looking to move to a city and live on my own for the first time. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I graduated from uni last summer and I got a job in my hometown which I am at now while still living at home. Its good but I feel its time to explore somewhere new as I live in a small town where not much is going on and there are less opportunities.
    I have looked at how much it would cost and I have worked out the finances based on what I think I would earn (similar to my current wage). Just looking for any tips or advice from any of you guys that have made that step and how it went for you especially if you have lived in Sheffield or Manchester as that is my 2 first choices.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I will be in the same position as you in a couple of years so interested in reading any replies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHUgrad)
    Hi guys,

I graduated from uni last summer and I got a job in my hometown which I am at now while still living at home. Its good but I feel its time to explore somewhere new as I live in a small town where not much is going on and there are less opportunities.
    I have looked at how much it would cost and I have worked out the finances based on what I think I would earn (similar to my current wage). Just looking for any tips or advice from any of you guys that have made that step and how it went for you especially if you have lived in Sheffield or Manchester as that is my 2 first choices.

Thanks.
    I am from a small town in Cheshire but I'm currently living in Greater London at university. If you feel like you're cooped up and can afford to move to the city - don't hesitate. As long as you can find a job before the move so you're funding doesn't dry up what's stopping you?

The city is a great place to get involved with all types of people, opens up greater earning potential, better networking, better social aspects. The only things I'd say you'd really need to consider before you move is the general cost of living increases slightly, bills and rent premiums tend to increase ten-fold.

Also, there's a difference between living and working in the city. Do you intend to live on top of everything or commute to work? There'll be a massive difference in cost but the bonus of living in the centre is that you potentially don't need to run a car. In cities as well linked as Manchester and London the public transport aspect is a massive bonus.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.